[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If the Pac-10 is so good

Sgt. Ryan

Good stuff there, but I'm still not buying the ACC thing this year - in fact, I'd put the BigEast above them. I'd rank them SEC, Pac10/Big10, Big 12, Big East, ACC.

I was simply doing the math. Of course, those rankings are hardly gospel. When you've got a bunch of guys arguing who the 63rd best team in the country, I'm sure it sounds a lot like the 16th round of a 12 team fantasy draft.

Back to the topic at hand, I decided to do a little research and came up with the following. Mind you, I wasn't going to go through the trouble of finding consensus rankings 1-119, so I stopped as soon as I found one (CBSSportsline.com) At any rate, I took the top 8 teams from each conference and averaged their rankings. I assumed it wasn't much of a reflection on the strength of a conference if you were splitting hairs between which team was worse between say, Stanford and Illinois so I just dropped everyone's garbage teams and focused on the top 8.

At any rate, the only thing that was clear was that the SEC is hands down the best (which hardly surprises me) with a score of 19.37. It should also be noted that Alabama was the 9th highest ranked team in the SEC so they did not factor into things despite the fact that they were ranked about as high as the 6th best team of other conferences. Interestingly, ACC was second at 30.25 probably because its a cluster fc of decent but not great teams. Congrats Sarge, your beloved Big 12 comes in next at 31.5 followed by the Pac 10 and Big 10 both at 35.75. Big East brings up the rear at 43.12

I do think this is better indication of relative strength than simply counting the teams in the top 25.

ACC ranked did surprise me at first then again if you are going 8 deep it makes sense. Guess I just have to get over Wake Forest past performance before giving them their props.

Back to the topic at hand, I decided to do a little research and came up with the following. Mind you, I wasn't going to go through the trouble of finding consensus rankings 1-119, so I stopped as soon as I found one (CBSSportsline.com) At any rate, I took the top 8 teams from each conference and averaged their rankings. I assumed it wasn't much of a reflection on the strength of a conference if you were splitting hairs between which team was worse between say, Stanford and Illinois so I just dropped everyone's garbage teams and focused on the top 8.

At any rate, the only thing that was clear was that the SEC is hands down the best (which hardly surprises me) with a score of 19.37. It should also be noted that Alabama was the 9th highest ranked team in the SEC so they did not factor into things despite the fact that they were ranked about as high as the 6th best team of other conferences. Interestingly, ACC was second at 30.25 probably because its a cluster fc of decent but not great teams. Congrats Sarge, your beloved Big 12 comes in next at 31.5 followed by the Pac 10 and Big 10 both at 35.75. Big East brings up the rear at 43.12

I do think this is better indication of relative strength than simply counting the teams in the top 25.

Sarge, quick dragging the Sooners into different threads! no one cares. jeezus

Det- I am in agreement with your posts and thoughts on the NCAA, most of all the Big 10 not being tested a lot. CBS Sportsline? ranking the Big 12 ahead of the Pac 10? not on this planet. There is no argument to the Big 12 being superior to the Pac 10 this year- period. I think Sagarin's ratings are a pretty good indicator of strength, and this has nothing to do with the Pac 10 being #1, I have followed his ratings every year, and he is included in the BCS as well, and is much more accurate with the Pac 10 & SEC as 1 and 2

NCAA Conference Rankings

Sarge, quick dragging the Sooners into different threads! no one cares. jeezus

Det- I am in agreement with your posts and thoughts on the NCAA, most of all the Big 10 not being tested a lot. CBS Sportsline? ranking the Big 12 ahead of the Pac 10? not on this planet. There is no argument to the Big 12 being superior to the Pac 10 this year- period. I think Sagarin's ratings are a pretty good indicator of strength, and this has nothing to do with the Pac 10 being #1, I have followed his ratings every year, and he is included in the BCS as well, and is much more accurate with the Pac 10 & SEC as 1 and 2

NCAA Conference Rankings

Keep in mind, this was simply based on a team by team ranking. Once again, anything like this needs to be taken with a grain of salt when you consider this is based on one team being ranked #68 and another being ranked #74.

It does, however, hold more weight than a bunch of guys simply pulling out an overall ranking for each conference off the top of their heads or ranking them based on how many top 25 teams they have as Sarge did.

I'm curious what it would look like if you pulled together all the 1-119 rankings and averaged them out.

All I take from it is that the SEC is hands down the strongest (again, no surprise) and everyone else is somewhat lumped together.

I actually just busted it out on a calculator.

Now you're just bragging....

Is that how you do the books for the restaurant too? Would that be a 10-key with tape, or just one of those old TI calculators as big as my arm, with red LED digits? That's a good way to avoid taxes on all that cash, I guess... :D