[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roses for Notre Dame?

Rockerbraves

Chairman of the Rose Bowl was a special guest on a local sports program yesterday. When asked the criteria for their selection process he gave the typical response.

1. Most competitive matchup

2. Ticket sales including money spent for hotels, restaurants & local establishments

3. TV ratings (advertising sales)

4. Slight bias towards Big 10 and PAC 10 teams due to tradition.

After the interview the host thank him and then proceeded to give us his thoughts on what he heard.

The host of the radio show was very confident that Notre Dame is the front runner. His reasoning was that the Rose Bowl is ABC's (Disney owned) ONLY major bowl game. Unlike in the past when ABC had both the Rose & Sugar and they could have put Notre Dame (the unquestionable TV rating leader) in the Sugar and another team in the Rose, this year they only get one shot at getting the #1 TV rating Irish team this year. As the host said you really can't blame them for wanting to get a nice return on their 32 million dollar Rose Bowl investment. The only thing working against the Irish is their BCS ranking. And even that wouldn't stop ABC from selecting them if it weren't for the pressure they are getting to take a higher seed. :D

I for one think its a sham. Notre Dame has gotten waxed by Michigan and USC, the only 2 real good teams they've played all year long. They beat Ga Tech in Atlanta which is there best win. They beat Penn State (an average team) at home. The rest of there schedule has been terrible. The Rose Bowl will do well in ratings no matter what, because A. its the rose bowl, and the rose bowl always does well B. Michigan or USC will be there and they have equal national interest, and have a history of highly rated games. Notre Dames appeal, in recent years, has been in games where they are going against teams of equal national interest, like Ohio State last year. But if you remember back in 2000, when they got in the fiesta bowl vs oregon state, that game was the lowest rated of the bcs games that year if i remember correctly. So no one can tell me, that the only way the Rose Bowl will turn a profit, is if they have the Irish there. Would they increase there ratings? Yes probably, but it's gonna be apples to apples in the end. Personally I'd much rather see Michigan or vs LSU or Florida. In the case of LSU, they could end up with an automatic bid. If you get into the Top 4 of the BCS (they are currently #5) I believe you are automatically in. If Arkansas beats florida (which I believe they will) then LSU could end up #4. With Boise State also receiving an automatic at large bid, as well as Michigan, that leaves 1 bid left. For Notre Dame I guess since they are in the top 12. I can understand if you're in a non-bcs conference, but how easy is it for Notre Dame to get in automatically? Play a junk schedule, lose to the only 2 good teams you face, and get in. It's an absolute joke, and a mockery.

Ask anyone who doesn't watch much college football which team they think should go to the Rose Bowl a 10-2 Notre Dame team or a 10-2 LSU squad. Think we all know which one most would pick. Keep in mind, many of the bigger TV markets arn't really College football markets. Notre Dame is about the only college team they captures their attention.

Yuck - that would suck. I made a rhyme...

Like Brian said, of the 3 decent teams they faced, they beat one on the road and got waxed by the other 2. Not good enough for a BCS bowl, IMHO.

But I do believe ND will get one of the 10 spots - that expansion move was made for them and the Boise States of the world. That is who they should play, BTW, if you want to see a close game - preferably in the Fiesta or Sugar. But I'd take the Broncos...

If USC goes to Glendale, I'd like to see FLA/Ark/LSU (whoever from the SEC) vs. Michigan in the Rose. That would be a good game...

Complete Joke. I mean, throw in Mich St. & UCLA as games they were outplayed an should have lost. This BCS thing is the biggest fraud in sports. How the eff can we not decide this on the field. Count me in as completely uninterested in pretty much every bowl game except the NC game. I mean, in this day and age, you espect these kids to basically play an exhibition game while they are also on a semi-vacation. Ridiculous.

Complete Joke. I mean, throw in Mich St. & UCLA as games they were outplayed an should have lost. This BCS thing is the biggest fraud in sports. How the eff can we not decide this on the field. Count me in as completely uninterested in pretty much every bowl game except the NC game. I mean, in this day and age, you espect these kids to basically play an exhibition game while they are also on a semi-vacation. Ridiculous.

Should the Rose Bowl elect to invite Notre Dame then the seeds of secession from the BCS may have been sown . From the beginning, the Rose Bowl has always had an aristocratic attitude. Let's not forget the Rose was not part of the BSC bowl system during the BCS formative years. Wasn't until the Big Ten and Pac 10 began to apply pressure (due to often being left out of the NC race) did the Rose Bowl give in and join the BCS. Even after joining they remain separate by being the only BCS bowl game with a separate TV contract. In short, the Rose Bowl will take whichever team they want with no regard for the BCS rankings.

FYI: In 2005 the following was agreed upon by the BCS that Notre Dame would receive an annual fee of $1.3 million from the BCS in the years when its team does not participate in one of the games, and $4.5 million when its team does participate. While Army and Navy were each allocated a participation fee of $100,000 for making themselves available to participate in a BCS bowl game if selected effective for the 2006 regular season, in recognition of the investment the academies continue to make in their football programs, the programs' historical significance and the unique contribution the institutions make to higher education.

Not sure if the Rose Bowl can handle a school with perhaps a bigger ego than their own. WONDER IF Notre Dame will ask for a percentage of the concessions?

FYI: In 2005 the following was agreed upon by the BCS that Notre Dame would receive an annual fee of $1.3 million from the BCS in the years when its team does not participate in one of the games, and $4.5 million when its team does participate.

Wow - so they get almost as much for NOT making it as each team of the 6 conferences get when they do make it? I'm assuming that for a conference with 10 teams, each team gets their 10% share of the $15 mil or so, and double that if we put 2 teams in. So either $1.5 mil or $3 mil in a good year, per team - less if you've got 12 teams to share it with.

And ND gets $4.5 mil all to themselves when they get in; plus the exclusive NBC tv contract. Must be nice to be "God's Team". Now we know why they can afford to put real gold in the helmets. Well, that and all the $ collected from the poor (and rich alike) all over the world each Sunday at Mass...

Edit: Catholics, please don't get all over me now. I'm just being a cynical wisecracker here, for entertainment purposes only....

Edited by Coffeeman

Sure we can have a ND vs MICH rematch, but not a Buckeye VS Michigan rematch.

That is a complete joke.

The Bcs is total horse sh_t, I would rather it go back to the way it was.

It could be, Usc,MIch,florida etcc.. in the title game, u could argue either way.

We had the same thing before... Sure here Michigan, Your reward is to play a team

you already destroyed this year.. I can see it now, We get to see that fat turd rolling

on the side lines the hole game. Dam I hope that doesnt happen.

Sorry coffeeman, but com'on Ucla!!!!!

Wow - so they get almost as much for NOT making it as each team of the 6 conferences get when they do make it? I'm assuming that for a conference with 10 teams, each team gets their 10% share of the $15 mil or so, and double that if we put 2 teams in. So either $1.5 mil or $3 mil in a good year, per team - less if you've got 12 teams to share it with.

And ND gets $4.5 mil all to themselves when they get in; plus the exclusive NBC tv contract. Must be nice to be "God's Team". Now we know why they can afford to put real gold in the helmets. Well, that and all the $ collected from the poor (and rich alike) all over the world each Sunday at Mass...

Edit: Catholics, please don't get all over me now. I'm just being a cynical wisecracker here, for entertainment purposes only....

Notre Dame is a conference. Perhaps they get an automatic BCS bid as their conference champ?

If the Rose Bowl takes Notre Dame it's a rematch regardless. either vs USC (if they lose to UCLA) or Michigan. Only thing that would save this mess and from Notre Dame making the Rose Bowl smell like crap, is if Florida gets the NC bid by some miracle, and that would pit Michigan vs USC A REAL BIG TEN VS PAC 10 Match up. The way it was meant to be.

If the Rose Bowl takes Notre Dame it's a rematch regardless. either vs USC (if they lose to UCLA) or Michigan. Only thing that would save this mess and from Notre Dame making the Rose Bowl smell like crap, is if Florida gets the NC bid by some miracle, and that would pit Michigan vs USC A REAL BIG TEN VS PAC 10 Match up. The way it was meant to be.

There's still an outside chance that Cal could move up and get an invite. Not likely but not totally impossible. Think most would accept Cal over Notre Dame.

Ranked 18th, and having 3 losses, there is no way any BCS bowl will be taking Cal. USC has already secured the automatic bid out of the Pac 10, so Cal is irrelevant. Cal is going to the Holiday Bowl to get destroyed by Texas.

Only if McCoy recovers - he's a mess right now....

Ranked 18th, and having 3 losses, there is no way any BCS bowl will be taking Cal. USC has already secured the automatic bid out of the Pac 10, so Cal is irrelevant. Cal is going to the Holiday Bowl to get destroyed by Texas.

The Rose wants a Big 10/Pac 10game more than anything. IF Cal moves into the BCS top 14 after beating Stanford on Saturday, the Rose would take a 9-3 Cal team and it's bye bye for everyone else. However, ESPN's BCS guru Brad Edwards said the Bears are virtually certain to be shut out of the top 14.

I recall seeing on the ESPN ticker last night that Cal has accepted a Holiday Bowl birth

Good for the Bears. Lots of smart people go to Cal, pretty sure they did the math. No way were the Bears moving up to #14 playing Stanford a team they are favored to beat by four TD's.

The point I was making is that bowl games are not about what's fair. They select teams based off the best interest of their TV and conference partners in mind.

Here is the latest, Nd Vs Lsu (rosebowl) and Michigan Vs Wake in the Orange Bowl.

I am lost for words. Its really sad day for college football. Why they cant just go 1v2 3v4

is beyond me. Yes I know u have conference champs, but come on #15 or whatever they

are, against #3. It has come down to 1 game, NC title ..Every other bowl, is who travels better

or a popularity contest. BO would be sick... I know I am.

Edited by GOB1

Here is the latest, Nd Vs Lsu (rosebowl) and Michigan Vs Wake in the Orange Bowl.

I am lost for words. Its really sad day for college football. Why they cant just go 1v2 3v4

is beyond me. Yes I know u have conference champs, but come on #15 or whatever they

are, against #3. It has come down to 1 game, NC title ..Every other bowl, is who travels better

or a popularity contest. BO would be sick... I know I am.

Now that's an interesting twist! Never even considered that one? :D