[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees arm strength questions answered?

rajncajn

I know in the years past and especially after his injury there were a lot of questions about Drew Brees arm strength. At the beginning of the season he did seem to struggle a little getting the ball downfield despite it not seemingly affecting the teams success. I'd have to say that can likely be attributed to not yet being up to full strength after the injury. Now though I'd say he has pretty much put a halt to any questions about his arm strength and seems to me to be at or close to 100% and possibly stronger than before the injury in his delivery. In the game vs Atlanta Drew had at least 3 deep balls thrown for completions and while you could argue that the 76 yd TD was mostly Devery's running and the hail mary was just that, I would counter with this: Brees first long bomb to Henderson went just over 45 yards before Henderson took it in for the score and even though Brees could put a lot into the hail mary pass, 55+ yards is nothing to sniff at. But the most telling pass to me was a short drop down the left sideline. When Drew dropped back he immediately had pressure in his face. He didn't have time to step into the throw and was in fact falling off his back foot. The pass was certainly a little short, but he still flicked it 33 yds with plenty of velocity.

So you be the judge, based on what I've presented here in addition to the numbers he's put up recently & the fact that he's close to 50 percent passing on balls thrown over 30 yards, do you think Brees has hushed the critics that said he had/has a weak arm?

Edited by rajncajn

I wasn't all that worried about it, and really hadn't given it much thought. My concern now is what is the status of Colston? I have him in a few leagues, thanks to your preseason recomendation, but unfortunately traded away some higher drafted players at WR for RB depth, and now need him to help me close the show in the leagues I have him in.

I think his new bionic shoulder has a lot to do with it. :D

:bash: I like it, "Drew Brees, The 60 Million-Dollar Man" fighting injustice, Falcons & Panthers with his bionicly reconstructed arm. :D

I wasn't all that worried about it, and really hadn't given it much thought. My concern now is what is the status of Colston? I have him in a few leagues, thanks to your preseason recomendation, but unfortunately traded away some higher drafted players at WR for RB depth, and now need him to help me close the show in the leagues I have him in.

Colston could have played last week, he'll start this week. Edited by rajncajn

I actually wished the Bills had scoo[ed him up, but they had too much man love for JP. Ive always like Brees, and Im glad he is very successful in NO. Even more so, Im glad the dolphins passed on him for CPep. Great move there, eh?

But it was such a great story-Culpepper comes home and rescues the Phins.

And when the Vikings refused to let doctors examine him perhaps they should have looked closer.

I watched Brees for three years at Purdue and his arm strength was good, but not exceptional. That was one of the negatives about him going into the draft. But whatever he lacked in arm strength, he more than made up for with his reads and decision-making. Tiller's offense was more or less the college equivalent of what Martz ran in STL (e.g., Brees would be in the shotgun with four wideouts on 3rd and 2... and those idiot defensive coordinators would never cover Stratton over the middle).

But getting back to the arm strength issue, he looked like his was average for an NFL QB when he was in SD. I haven't seen much of him this year, but it doesn't look like last year's shoulder injury has changed it significantly.