[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ThNF

neilfish2

Is ThNF shown on the teams involved local affiliates? Anyhow I hope this ThNF crap doesn't last too long. Because my local cable company says that in order to get the NFL net. I have to purchase the sports entertanment package and get a bunch of other crappy stations that I will never watch. Also, I think that the NFL coaches will get sick of the short week to prepare there teams. I betch a coach at some time or another will lady dog that they lost the game because of Thursday Night. What are ya'll thoughts on this?

The NFL power play didn't work on cable companies. They're charging cable companies more than some other networks for the rights to carry the network -- as a result, the cable companies are putting the channel on higher tier than NFL network would like. Some cable companies are refusing to carry the network because they feel the price is too high.

They pushed the Thanksgiving game in hopes that people would call their cable companies up in arms about not getting the channel. Then the game turned out to be a snoozer and the coverage was said to be horrible. They'll probably have to reduce their price now if they really want to get the network picked up by more cable companies.

TMQ had a good discussion of this in his article this week.

I know this was talked about in a forum earlier, but I did not see if the game could be watched on regular channels Fox/CBS for homers..... :D Why should you be denied watching your home team because you don't have the network, especially if your the home team, games a sellsout, blackout lifted, and you can't watch the game because your cable company want's you to buy a package. :D

but I did not see if the game could be watched on regular channels Fox/CBS for homers

I do subscribe to the channel.....it's my favorite channel to watch now....it's well worth the extra price (to me anyway) even if I don't use any of the other channels in the package. That said.....the game was on a local channel for us KC folks....I don't know if this is going to be the norm or not cause I had heard that Lamar Hunt pitched a fit to make sure that one of the locals picked it up.

Edited by Hat Trick

Time to pay for the service. I was watching NFL replay last night, and saw a blurb that the NFL network has a contract to broadcast 8 games a year for the next 6 years (including this one). Personally, i love the NFL network and do watch it all year round. from the on demand highlights to the nfl replays to the nfl films stuff, the additional price is worth it to me.

Is ThNF shown on the teams involved local affiliates?

Yes. In Bmore, the game this week is on WMAR - Channel 2. All local affiliates will carry the Thursday night games.

I betch a coach at some time or another will lady dog that they lost the game because of Thursday Night. What are ya'll thoughts on this?

If a coach blames a loss on when the game is, they shouldn't be coaching. Both teams have the same amount of time to prepare, and although the road team has to factor in travel time, proper planning/coaching should be done.

Here in the Seattle/Tacoma area, Comcast simulcast the Thanksgiving game in HD on the channel that is normaly INHD. The game was not blacked out on this channel (my inlaws did not subscribe to the level of service nescessary for NFL Network and that channel was blacked out, but they were able to watch the game on the INHD channel.) So if you subscribe to HD through your cable company, you may want to look and see if this is happening in your area as well.

Regardless of the quality of the games or broadcasts by the NFL Network, in general I do NOT like the Thursday night games. Frankly, I wish all games were played on Sundays between Noon and 6pm (with possibly one Sunday night game, and with two Thanksgiving games as really the only exceptions).

Regardless of the quality of the games or broadcasts by the NFL Network, in general I do NOT like the Thursday night games. Frankly, I wish all games were played on Sundays between Noon and 6pm (with possibly one Sunday night game, and with two Thanksgiving games as really the only exceptions).

I agree, I hate prime time games, especially when my team is playing, not that I will have to worry about that next year! :D

Yes. In Bmore, the game this week is on WMAR - Channel 2. All local affiliates will carry the Thursday night games.

Do you know if they are showing it in DC, or just the one Baltimore station?

I ask because in Cincy, it is only being broadcast on the one Cincinnati station -- stations an hour or so away, like Dayton or Lexington/Louisville, don't get it. I think that's pretty petty of the NFL, since those markets have always been included in the blackout area (being a Bengals fan for a while, I know a lot about the blackout area). And especially in a smaller market like Cincy, where it draws a number of its fans from those areas.

It makes no real difference to me, but to stick to the letter of the "local market" by only allowing one station to carry it just strikes me as almost evil on the part of the NFL. The "local market" should at least cover the blackout area.

I'll check next week to see if INHD broadcasts the Thursday games. I didn't notice that they did last week, but I wasn't really looking for it there, either.

Well, I just saw Insight in Northern Kentucky is adding the games, so the strategy works.

This, however, really caught my attention:

Insight, which has 81,000 Northern Kentucky customers, had refused to pay a surcharge for weekly games when it added the 24-hour channel earlier this year.

So, that would explain why cable companies are balking. Not only is the NFL charging to carry the NFL Network, but there is a surcharge to show the games.

Man, the NFL is getting seriously greedy.

Well, I just saw Insight in Northern Kentucky is adding the games, so the strategy works.

So, that would explain why cable companies are balking. Not only is the NFL charging to carry the NFL Network, but there is a surcharge to show the games.

Getting?

I am putting the NFL right up there with Toll roads....

Is ThNF shown on the teams involved local affiliates? Anyhow I hope this ThNF crap doesn't last too long. Because my local cable company says that in order to get the NFL net. I have to purchase the sports entertanment package and get a bunch of other crappy stations that I will never watch. Also, I think that the NFL coaches will get sick of the short week to prepare there teams. I betch a coach at some time or another will lady dog that they lost the game because of Thursday Night. What are ya'll thoughts on this?

every company is different but I asked my local customer service center for Comcast.

i have basic cable (basically only the broadcast channels... NBC, Fox etc) and i told them I want NFL Network but I don't want any extra crap... movie channels, MTV2-8, 35 Fox Sports Network Channels etc.

I had to get a digital cable converter/box for $3.95 per month and pay $5 per month for NFL Network plus basic cable ~$15 per month. So about $30 per month to get NFL Network and some of the other stuff that comes in the package. Not too shabby considering digital cable usual starts at ~$75-$85 per month.

Thanks, just wondering how its going to work for the Saints, since the Hurricane they have had a push along the Gulf coast & the Northern part of the the state. There was even talk of changing the name from the New Orleans Saints to the Gulf Coast Saints (hope it never happends). Going to be interesting when the Saints come Marching into one of the ThNF games. I'm sure its a great channel, but on my schedule I just don't have the time to sit down and watch, but I guess I will have to sign up when the Superbowl moves to the NFL Network.... :D