[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dan Pompei: super-mustard!

BeeR

Gee a hypocritical BS apologist among sportswriters, what a shock:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=154223

The text FYI:

Irvin just speaking his mind, such as it is

November 29, 2006

Look, I'm not exactly the president of the Michael Irvin fan club. As a broadcaster, in my opinion, he's a Hall of Fame wide receiver.

But I'm going to defend Irvin today. He tried to be funny on an ESPN radio broadcast and made a crack about how one of Tony Romo's anscestors must be African American because Romo has too much athleticism for a white guy. And for saying this, Irvin is supposed to be scolded, maybe suspended, maybe fired.

Isn't America past being so hypersensitive about political incorrectness? If we aren't past it, we should be.

First of all, Irvin wasn't being serious. And even if he was, so what? If his opinion is that African Americans are more athletic than non-African Americans, why isn't he entitled to it? You don't have to agree with it, nor do I. But that doesn't mean we should hang the perpetrator by his toes and flog him on the 50-yard line at halftime of the Super Bowl.

Last I checked, we are given the right of free speech in this country. Why is race the only issue that no one is allowed to have a different opinion on? Why do we get our jockstraps in a knot anytime someone says something that a racial sensitivity coach would disagree with?

This controversy appears to be blowing over. The thing is, it never should have been a controversy in the first place.

--------

Why do I have a hunch if this were similarly flagrant racial slurs towards a black OOPSOHMGODEXCUSEME......."African American"....... he wouldn't sing the same tune?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=154223Isn't America past being so hypersensitive about political incorrectness? If we aren't past it, we should be.

First of all, Irvin wasn't being serious. And even if he was, so what? If his opinion is that African Americans are more athletic than non-African Americans, why isn't he entitled to it? You don't have to agree with it, nor do I. But that doesn't mean we should hang the perpetrator by his toes and flog him on the 50-yard line at halftime of the Super Bowl.

Last I checked, we are given the right of free speech in this country. Why is race the only issue that no one is allowed to have a different opinion on? Why do we get our jockstraps in a knot anytime someone says something that a racial sensitivity coach would disagree with?

This controversy appears to be blowing over. The thing is, it never should have been a controversy in the first place.

--------

Why do I have a hunch if this were similarly flagrant racial slurs towards a black OOPSOHMGODEXCUSEME......."African American"....... he wouldn't sing the same tune?

Uhhhhhh, yeeah...tell that to Jimmy the Greek and Al Campanis, guys who were excoriated because they tried to do the same thing...

What makes the double standard even worse is when it is defended by the race that's been offended. Tell me right now that if Joe Theismann said something like that if Sharpton or Jackson would defend him.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=154223

The text FYI:

Irvin just speaking his mind, such as it is

November 29, 2006

Look, I'm not exactly the president of the Michael Irvin fan club. As a broadcaster, in my opinion, he's a Hall of Fame wide receiver.

But I'm going to defend Irvin today. He tried to be funny on an ESPN radio broadcast and made a crack about how one of Tony Romo's anscestors must be African American because Romo has too much athleticism for a white guy. And for saying this, Irvin is supposed to be scolded, maybe suspended, maybe fired.

Isn't America past being so hypersensitive about political incorrectness? If we aren't past it, we should be.

Racist