[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let the debate continute!

It's actually very simple. There is absolutely no way to determine the relative strength between Michigan and FL, so you absolutely can't have Michigan play again.

It would be like saying after NY and Boston square off in the ALCS, "Well, those are obviously the two best teams, so let's just have them play in the WS as well."

There is only one known fact, Mich had a shot at OSU and lost. So, for the purpose of the 2006 season, OSU is "better" than Mich. Now, it's somebody else's turn. Going into this weekend, the team with the best resume was USC but they pooped the bed. Next in line should be Florida. Unless there is some way to prove that Mich is the better team (like a head to head win or some significant interconference wins that put their record in perspective), there's no way you can say they deserve two shots at OSU more than FL deserves one.

If OSU waxes FL, that won't even prove what I'm saying to be wrong because I'm not saying that FL is a better team than Mich. I'm simply saying that if Mich is allowed to play OSU over FL, we're essentially saying that we decided who the best teams were after week 7. What's the point of that?

Why is Florida better than any other 1-loss team then. Why shouldn't Boise State be invited? Florida lost to #11, Michigan lost to #1. That's one way to say Michigan is better. The system sucks and that's why these discussions take place every year or two.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great situation for anti-BCS people. No matter which team is selected, the other team has a legitimate gripe about being left out of the title game. I'm all for a playoff (which may never happen), but I do think we get a much better title game using this format. Every year 2 of the best 3 teams are in the title game. With a playoff, that won't happen.

:D this is a joke, right?

your feeling is that a BCS matchup based off computers and voting is better than actually playing the games on the field? :D

so, should we have just had Indy vs. Seattle in the Super Bowl last year because it is the best matchup?

Let's just go ahead with the Bears, Indy or SD, and Crown There Asses.

Come on, let SC play in the NC game. I mean they are the 2nd best team in the country, even after losing yet again, to another unranekd team. . :D

I told anyone that would listen, SC was over-rated, and they not only let 1 unranked team beat, them, but now 2 unranked teams have beaten them. LMMFAO, the sad thing about the Rose Bowl now, SC will probably play LSU, and neither deserve to be in the BCS.

Oh one more thing, just as I predicted, Arkansas and nebraska would both lose, and crush whatever so called top wins Sc had. So much for SOS. Fla and Michigan have the #1 and #3 schedule in the country. Oh and one more thing, The Pac-10 is pathetic.

:D this is a joke, right?

your feeling is that a BCS matchup based off computers and voting is better than actually playing the games on the field? :D

so, should we have just had Indy vs. Seattle in the Super Bowl last year because it is the best matchup?

Let's just go ahead with the Bears, Indy or SD, and Crown There Asses.

What part of "I'm all for a playoff" did you not understand. It's obviously the best way to determine a champion. My point was the 2 of the 3 'perceived' best teams match up each year. With a playoff, many times you end up with a team hitting it's stride at the right time in the title game (Steelers last year, George Mason in the NCAA's, Villanova, etc...) There is nothing wrong with those teams getting so far (I think it actually adds a ton of excitement to their respective sports), but just understand that if the point of our whining is we don't end up with the best two teams in the NC game under the BCS, we will probably even get that less often with a playoff. Doesn't mean it isn't superior, just different.

What part of "I'm all for a playoff" did you not understand. It's obviously the best way to determine a champion. My point was the 2 of the 3 'perceived' best teams match up each year. With a playoff, many times you end up with a team hitting it's stride at the right time in the title game (Steelers last year, George Mason in the NCAA's, Villanova, etc...) There is nothing wrong with those teams getting so far (I think it actually adds a ton of excitement to their respective sports), but just understand that if the point of our whining is we don't end up with the best two teams in the NC game under the BCS, we will probably even get that less often with a playoff. Doesn't mean it isn't superior, just different.

+1

How many people thought the Steelers were the best team in football last year after the Super Bowl? How many of you think the St. Louis Cardinals were the best team in baseball this year? How about that Miami Heat team? Best NBA team hands down?

Come on, let SC play in the NC game. I mean they are the 2nd best team in the country, even after losing yet again, to another unranekd team. . :D

I told anyone that would listen, SC was over-rated, and they not only let 1 unranked team beat, them, but now 2 unranked teams have beaten them. LMMFAO, the sad thing about the Rose Bowl now, SC will probably play LSU, and neither deserve to be in the BCS.

Oh one more thing, just as I predicted, Arkansas and nebraska would both lose, and crush whatever so called top wins Sc had. So much for SOS. Fla and Michigan have the #1 and #3 schedule in the country. Oh and one more thing, The Pac-10 is pathetic.

According to you, what teams should be in the BCS? Think you pretty much knocked out all of them. By the way, heard OK won tonight. Guess you were right about that offensive line of the Sooners blowing people off the line. Didn't see the game just heard the score like probably most. How many yards did your boys run for? Winning that conference of yours has to make you feel better about the lost to the PAC 10 Ducks.

come on rocker, ya gotta give the sooners cred. I aint their biggest fan, but the job Bob Stoops did this year was amazing.

Seriously, didn't watch the game? Watched the SEC game then watched Big East triple OT game. Had to pick up my boy from the movies after that. Honestly, might have watched 3 minutes of that game between commercials.

Well, how many yards did those mules from OK pound out on the ground? Sarge told me that is the strongest part of their game.

Seriously, didn't watch the game? Watched the SEC game then watched Big East triple OT game. Had to pick up my boy from the movies after that. Honestly, might have watched 3 minutes of that game between commercials.

Well, how many yards did those mules from OK pound out on the ground? Sarge told me that is the strongest part of their game.

LOL, It is, and OU abandoned the run, because It was pitch and catch all night from QB Thompson to WR Malcom Kelly.

Huskers actually outgained them. Nebraska controlled the field position all game long, but OU's defense forced some key turnovers. OU had 48 yards rushing. 314 total yards. Defensively they forced 5 turnovers, including a fumble on the very first play from scrimmage. Oklahoma seemed to have control for most of the game highlighted by their 99 yard touchdown drive to go up 21-7 in the 3rd quarter. I'd say Oklahoma did a pretty good job considering they were behind the 8 ball in terms of field position all game long. I will say, Zac Taylor didn't do the Huskers any favors tonight.

Edit to Add: Malcom Kelly set a big 12 championship record for receiving yards

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

LOL, It is, and OU abandoned the run, because It was pitch and catch all night from QB Thompson to WR Malcom Kelly.

Great news. Glad they are learning to open it up some. At least OK held up their part of my BCS projections. What's your feeling for tomorrow? How do you see the BCS rankings? Still gonna play Boise State?

You can add that Notre Dame really sucks this year.

Also Sarge, I hope to see Peterson in a Packer uni next fall...

I think the Fiesta and Orange Bowls are pretty much set in stone. Oklahoma vs Boise State, and Wake Forrest vs Louisville. Sugar and Rose are obviously still up in the air. If Florida gets to the NC, youll likely see LSU vs Notre Dame in the Sugar, and Michigan vs USC in the Rose. If Michigan gets in, LSU heads west to face the Trojans, and the Irish get the Gators.

Huskers actually outgained them. Nebraska controlled the field position all game long, but OU's defense forced some key turnovers. OU had 48 yards rushing. 314 total yards. Defensively they forced 5 turnovers, including a fumble on the very first play from scrimmage. Oklahoma seemed to have control for most of the game highlighted by their 99 yard touchdown drive to go up 21-7 in the 3rd quarter. I'd say Oklahoma did a pretty good job considering they were behind the 8 ball in terms of field position all game long. I will say, Zac Taylor didn't do the Huskers any favors tonight.

Good friend of mine is a Nebraska graduate. He moved down here from Nebraska about 3 to 4 years ago. He's not much of a Tiger fan, but has gotten behind the Saints. Thanks for the report. I'm sure he's gonna ask me what I thought and I wouldn't want him to know I didn't even watch it.

You can add that Notre Dame really sucks this year.

Also Sarge, I hope to see Peterson in a Packer uni next fall...

rumor has it, if he comes out. The Texans wont pass on him. :D

Several teams with worse records than Green Bay have huge holes at RB. For instance, Cleveland, Houston, and Oakland. But Oakland will probably draft Brady Quinn at 1.1.

Great news. Glad they are learning to open it up some. At least OK held up their part of my BCS projections. What's your feeling for tomorrow? How do you see the BCS rankings? Still gonna play Boise State?

Unfortunately. That game is likely to be a Sooner Rout, and only die hards like myself will see the 2nd half.

Id love to see OU get a Rose Bowl invite, and play SC. Man Id love that.

I think the Fiesta and Orange Bowls are pretty much set in stone. Oklahoma vs Boise State, and Wake Forrest vs Louisville. Sugar and Rose are obviously still up in the air. If Florida gets to the NC, youll likely see LSU vs Notre Dame in the Sugar, and Michigan vs USC in the Rose. If Michigan gets in, LSU heads west to face the Trojans, and the Irish get the Gators.

Could live with any of those games. Think we both agree Gators should be the one in vs. Ohio. That may not be what either of us wants since you are a big ten guy and if it works out that way my Tigers don't get the invite to the Grand daddy of them all, but that's the only fair thing in my honest opinion. i just put myself in Florida's shoes and can't help but to think what a raw deal it would be to go 12-1 and lose out to a team that has already lost to Ohio only a few weeks ago.

Throw in the fact, OU had a TD reversed due to a Delay of game penalty on Nebraska, after a FG blocked for TD, and OU dropped 2 other sure fire INTs, and another potential turnover, when Nebraska RB clearly fumbled on one play, but they said they blew the whistle, making the play non reviewable, when it was clearly a fumble, that OU recovered. Nebraska coud have turned it over 8 times total instead of only 5, and got shut out 28-0, had it not been for a bad decision by Thompson to throw out of bounds, that ended up staying in the field of play, because he was hit trying to avoid a sack.

The Nebraska D is the only thing that kept this game as close as the final score, the Nebraska offense had 5 posessions in the 2nd half outside their own 40 yard line, and only scored once, when they were given a INT at the OU 22.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?g...201&confId=null

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?confId=&gameId=263360201

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- So what if it's a week earlier than Oklahoma had hoped for?

The eighth-ranked Sooners will still finish their season in Glendale, Ariz., and that's good enough for coach Bob Stoops.

The Sooners' 21-7 victory over No. 19 Nebraska in the Big 12 title game Saturday night earned them a berth in the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day.

But combined with UCLA's 13-9 upset of No. 2 Southern California earlier Saturday, Oklahoma's win also raised questions of what might have been had a blown onside kick call not led to a 34-33 loss at Oregon on Sept. 16.

The BCS title game is Jan. 8, also in Glendale.

Stoops was in no mood to play what-if, though, after his team won its fourth Big 12 title.

"You know what? We can't do anything about it," Stoops said. "For us to sit here and make an issue of it is not going to come off the right way.

"You guys call it what you want," he said. "We're going to get ready to play the next game."

Stoops had no problem, though, talking about Paul Thompson's performance in leading the longest scoring drive in Big 12 championship history: 99 yards on 11 plays, capped by Thompson's second TD pass to Malcolm Kelly for a 21-7 lead late in the third quarter.

"That was the drive of the year, without question," Stoops said. "It was huge. Paul threw some great balls on that series, and we executed well and pounded it in. That was a big blow to them."

Kelly's 142 yards receiving on 10 catches broke the previous title game record of 140 yards, set by Kansas State's Darnell McDonald in 1998.

"It was just a good week of preparation," Kelly said. "There wasn't much else to it. We just took whatever they gave us."

The Sooners (11-2) forced five turnovers, another championship game record. Strong safety Reggie Smith had two of Oklahoma's takeaways, including a fumble recovery that set up the Sooners' first score.

The Cornhuskers (9-4), who were in the conference championship game for the first time since 1999, will play in the Cotton Bowl, also on Jan. 1.

Backed up at his own 1 in the third quarter, with Oklahoma clinging to a 14-7 lead and Nebraska building momentum with every defensive stop, Thompson was 6-for-8 for 95 yards on an 11-play, 99-yard drive. It ended with his 3-yard pass to Kelly that made it 21-7.

"That kind of took the wind out of our sails," Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said. "We had them backed up but we just couldn't make a play."

The Sooners also picked up the fastest score in Big 12 title game history when Allen Patrick scored on a 2-yard run just 48 seconds in.

On the game's first play from scrimmage, Marcus Walker stripped the ball from Nebraska wide receiver Maurice Purify after a short gain. Smith scooped up the ball near the sideline and returned it to the 2.

The play had to be reviewed, but replays clearly showed that the ball was out of Purify's hands before the receiver fell out of bounds at his own 13.

Later in the first quarter, Thompson hit Kelly for a 66-yard touchdown that put the Sooners up 14-0. Kelly caught the ball in stride at the Nebraska 20, eluded a diving tackle attempt by cornerback Cortney Grixby, and sprinted in untouched to complete the Sooners' second one-play scoring drive.

Nebraska cut it to 14-7 in the second quarter, when Andrew Shanle's interception set up Zac Taylor's 14-yard TD pass to Hunter Teafatiller.

Teafatiller's touchdown catch was his fourth of the year -- out of five total receptions. Oklahoma bit on Nebraska's play fake on third-and-1, leaving the tight end alone at the back of the end zone.

Oklahoma had a chance to go up 17-7 near the end of the first half, but holder Hays McEachern bobbled the snap on what would have been a 47-yard field goal attempt and then had his shovel pass batted down by Cory McKeon.

The Sooners' 99-yard drive was even more remarkable for the fact that the first two plays went for no gain. But on third and 10, Thompson faked a handoff and found Jermaine Gresham for a 35-yard gain.

"That was huge," Nebraska defensive end Jay Moore said. "We had them right there. They made the completion, and that changed the momentum in the second half."

Thompson gave the credit to Gresham, whose only catch of the night got the drive going.

"Jermaine was able to make a good corner route cut, and I laid it out there for him," Thompson said. "We just kept rolling from there."

Thompson followed that up with completions of 22 yards to Juaquin Iglesias and 9 yards to Kelly before Allen Patrick carried for 2 yards. Thompson then threw to Adron Tennell for 15 yards and Kelly for 11, giving the Sooners first and goal at the 5.

Patrick carried for two yards and Thompson threw an incompletion before Kelly snagged Thompson's high pass at the side of the end zone and kept his feet inbounds as he landed.

Nebraska drove back downfield after the score, but the drive stalled at Oklahoma's 16 when Zac Taylor's pass to Hunter Teafatiller was incomplete on fourth and 1.

A 31-yard pass from Taylor to Marlon Lucky gave Nebraska a first down at the Oklahoma 20 on the Cornhuskers' next drive, but Nic Harris broke late and made a diving interception in the end zone on the next play.

Smith's interception at his own 4 ended Nebraska's next possession -- and any threat of the Cornhuskers getting back in the game -- and sent the large contingent of Nebraska fans streaming for the Arrowhead Stadium exits.

"We kept getting the feeling we were going to bust a big play," Taylor said, "but we didn't."

Nebraska punter Dan Titchener set a championship game record with six punts inside the 20, two of those inside the 10.