[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anyone like thursday night football?

jjpro11

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

furthermore, when the Cowboys play that NFL network game, I will have cable and still be watching the game over my local broadcast, so I will have cable and not miss anything. It really does not bother me to miss out on the other teams. NFL Network acts like I will complain but in all honesty I won't miss any Cowboy's games. The NFL network is the loser here because they miss out on viewers.

Yeah, that's the thing that NFLN miscalculated on. The only way you're going to get outrage is if local fans can't see local games because they're on NFLN, and that won't happen because they're rebroadcast locally. Anyone else who's dead-set enough on seeing every game will already have DirecTV for Sunday Ticket. The rest of us have gotten used to only seeing a handful of games every week, and there's plenty of other programming on Thursday night to distract from the fact that you're missing an out of market football game.

I know that HBO contracts with NFL Films to do that "Inside the NFL" show... I wonder if that's why they went to Collinsworth and Gumbel since they both have HBO show contracts. Does HBO have a stake in the NFL Network?

I also wonder if that's why they think their s%&t doesn't stink.

EDIT: Never mind. Time Warner owns HBO, and they are one of the ones that are giving the NFL Network a hard time for their pricing. That would be poor synergy.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Since Sportsline started that "one hour before the first game" rule for line-ups, Thursdays are trouble for Sunday players that may be game time decisions, (i.e., Colston).

I have to guess by Thursday afternoon whether he's going to make it Sunday. Sucks!

Am I just being too cynical again, or doesn't anyone else see that the bigger point ot the Thursday night games is to help the transition to ending all free games outside the local market?

People are willing to pay up to $400 a season for Sunday Ticket. Monday Night Football is now on the most expensive cable channel instead of network TV. And, of course, the NFL Network.

Otherwise, why even create its own network? Just sell the rights to the game as they do all their games. Somewhere, I bet there is a business model when the current TV contracts expire to just broadcast NFL games on a pay-per-view basis.

The NFL isn't interested in providing another night of football viewing. They are interested in getting people used to the idea that if you want access to the NFL on TV, it's gonna cost ya.

Am I just being too cynical again, or doesn't anyone else see that the bigger point ot the Thursday night games is to help the transition to ending all free games outside the local market?

People are willing to pay up to $400 a season for Sunday Ticket. Monday Night Football is now on the most expensive cable channel instead of network TV. And, of course, the NFL Network.

Otherwise, why even create its own network? Just sell the rights to the game as they do all their games. Somewhere, I bet there is a business model when the current TV contracts expire to just broadcast NFL games on a pay-per-view basis.

The NFL isn't interested in providing another night of football viewing. They are interested in getting people used to the idea that if you want access to the NFL on TV, it's gonna cost ya.

That seems like a poor business model. I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't know for a fact that that action would reduce the number of fans.

Fewer fans means less in merchandise sales, and would kill the future of the league. It's hard to win fans back... you know... unless you let your athletes blatantly abuse steroids to increase excitement.

I want football on every day of the week. :D

Friday and saturdays are no nos as far as I know because of HS and college but it would be better. I'd rather see saturday myself.

As for NFL Network the cable companies are ones doing the screwing. It should ba part of basic service, but their greed is preventing it.

actually HS football is just about over by the time these thursday games started. so it wouldnt really matter. i do agree that it is the nfl network that is the problem.

I totally disagree. While it's bad for some fans right now. I bet by next season almost every cable company will have nfl network and therefor the nfl will win by getting their channel on just about everywhere hence creating more advertising revenue for themselves. It's a shrewed business move by the nfl.

And too the guy who said it cose $400.00 for nfl sunday ticket where are you getting that figure. if you order in june or just renew every year its $220.00. Really if you were to go to a bar to watch these just on half the sundays you would easily spend $220.00 so really its not a bad deal at all and every week there are at least a few exciting finishes that you wouldn't see otherwise expecially in the early games that make it well worth it.

I was recently in a convention where, some guy from the sports industry(in Europe) said an interesting thing that is related to the subject of this thread, he said, "The drug Industry and the Sports industry are resemble…", don't need to tell that all the crowd was staring at him like he was on drugs :D, but than he continued and told the rest of the sentence, " they resemble by the fact that in both of those industries, you can call your costumers as USERS".

Meaning by that, If the NFL will change their business model to a Pay per view, i believe that this will have no affect on the number of viewers on the long term, we can’t live without this.

Why do people think they got screwed???? If you don't have the NFL ticket which you would only get at most three Sunday games to watch. The Thursday game would just be another game on Sunday that you would not be seeing because a different game would be on.

I don't understand why you people are so upset. This Thursday game gives YOU the opportunity to watch another game that YOU would not be seeing on Sunday if YOU would get Directv which has the NFL Network in the standard package.

Everyone must be democrats and expect everything to be handed to you.

How republican to offer that those that can afford it and are able to get it have no problem. Everyone must be lazy and want a handout.

In Canada I get the game on TSN and not on my NFL Network so at least I get it. I am not really a fan of it though. We can put in our lineup up until kick off of the game that player is in so that's fine but waivers are locked as of kick off of the first game which sucks. Once college regular season is done I like the additional Saturday games but I could definitely do without the Thursday.

Since Sportsline started that "one hour before the first game" rule for line-ups, Thursdays are trouble for Sunday players that may be game time decisions, (i.e., Colston).

I have to guess by Thursday afternoon whether he's going to make it Sunday. Sucks!

Commish can Set it up so you can change lineups right up until 5 minutes before each games kickoff. For instance you could have changed Garcia to Delhomme 5 minutes before gametime Monday. But my gripe with CBS Sportsline is that you cannot do a transaction for the rest of the week once the Thursday game starts. So if you get some guy getting injured on Friday or Saturday or find out Sunday there is a late scratch you are screwed.

You must be in a free league only the free league's on sportsline have that rule. I'm in one free league and thats the one that has the rule. I am in another pay league on sportsline and its still the 5 minute rule.