[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ohio State V Florida

The Next Generation

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear I will come across like an a-hoole (which may be beyond my control). Even if I concede your point, you have stated that the Gator Def is only "above average" and not great. By positing they have "yet to be tested" does not support your argument. It only asserts that the Gator Def has not been tested. This assertion does not equal "above average." It also does not equal below average, great, or mediocre.

I promise is the last time I will ask...what, in your view, only makes this defense "above average?" My curiosity stems from the fact that I have not encountered anyone who has not offered high accolades for the Gator defense.

I actually respect the Fla. defense. I believe it's the strength of their team.

OSU fans know about Siler if they follow Buckeye recruiting. I think they are quick and will be prepared.

I wonder if 30 days will be enough to heal up from last nights game with Ark. they talked about all of the injured Gators????

I actually respect the Fla. defense. I believe it's the strength of their team.

OSU fans know about Siler if they follow Buckeye recruiting. I think they are quick and will be prepared.

I wonder if 30 days will be enough to heal up from last nights game with Ark. they talked about all of the injured Gators????

Losing ray mcdonald is a big loss. He hyper-extended his elbow...I haven't heard whether he'll be healthy in time or not.

I promise is the last time I will ask...what, in your view, only makes this defense "above average?" My curiosity stems from the fact that I have not encountered anyone who has not offered high accolades for the Gator defense.

I would expect no less then every college football expert to agree the Michigan D is better then Florida. Look what our offense did to them. I think they are an better then average D, but that alone isn't near enough to slow down this offense. Michigan came in with one of the best and most athletic defense in the nation and Smith was able to move the ball pretty much at will.

I would expect no less then every college football expert to agree the Michigan D is better then Florida. Look what our offense did to them. I think they are an better then average D, but that alone isn't near enough to slow down this offense. Michigan came in with one of the best and most athletic defense in the nation and Smith was able to move the ball pretty much at will.

The one thing that makes me wary, is statistically, this Gator D is on par with the 02 Ohio State d. But there was a killer instinct in the 02 Buckeyes, that I just don't see in the Gators, plus the one difference is Ohio State was 13-0 after the regular season, Florida is 12-1. The Buckeyes didn't know what defeat tasted like, Florida does.

Again, you did not answer my original question. Good to my word, I will not ask you to do so again.

I think florida has a chance....with the tricks plays that meyer loves (and will have to) bring, they will stay in the game. It's always turnovers and QB play...Leak is the key to florida doing anything.

Good info here..That speedy little guy (Harvin?) also worries me.

Which is rare, because the Big Ten is usually always in the underdog role in bowl games.

Read somewhere that LSU would be a 3 point favorite over the Gators on a neutral field while Michigan would be a 6 pt favorite. So that would lead me to think the Gators are going to be a decent underdog to Ohio. Maybe 7 or so.

Most people feel Ohio State already beat the 2nd best team in the nation. I am one of those people. Neither one of these teams beat either of the 2 teams last year. I'm not even sure that Ohio State would beat their own 05' team with the great defense. The offense has improved in spades, but man, that d last year was tough, and it was the only defense to SOMEWHAT contain Vince Young.

I am through with college football and the sissies that control it. There is no substitute for a playoff. Anyone who disagrees with that is a clueless sissy as well. I couldn't care less who wins this game. Only in this country could we be duped year after year. The funny thing is that they know it and they laugh at us.

FU college football.

I agree that Florida deserves a shot. Michigan is the second best team in the nation, but they had their shot at the #1 Bucks.

See, now this argument is what pisses me off, (nothing personal against you Ray). Who cares if they had thier shot, the point of the BCS is to match the two best teams in the nation against each other. Ignoring the fact that michigan is in my opinion the better team, The fact is that the voters voted against a rematch instead of for the best team in the country. This is what so Bogus about this system. A Point proven by that smack that voted Florida over Ohio state as the #1 just to keep Michigan out.

Use the BCS to find the top four teams and let them battle it out on the field. Use the same rotating Schedule in the BCS games that they have now, and have the 5th game the Championship. At least then there can be no argument to the #1 team at the end.

How many Monkey F's do we have to have untill we get a playoff?

See, now this argument is what pisses me off, (nothing personal against you Ray). Who cares if they had thier shot, the point of the BCS is to match the two best teams in the nation against each other. Ignoring the fact that michigan is in my opinion the better team, The fact is that the voters voted against a rematch instead of for the best team in the country. This is what so Bogus about this system. A Point proven by that smack that voted Florida over Ohio state as the #1 just to keep Michigan out.

Use the BCS to find the top four teams and let them battle it out on the field. Use the same rotating Schedule in the BCS games that they have now, and have the 5th game the Championship. At least then there can be no argument to the #1 team at the end.

How many Monkey F's do we have to have untill we get a playoff?

There lies the problem. Yes the BCS is supposed to match the two best teams for the NC game but the problem is how do any of us know who those two teams are? I think everyone agrees OSU is clearly #1 and I can buy that. But as for #2 there really is no clear way to say who belongs there and who does not. The Big Ten guys say Mich clearly is #2, the SEC guys think FLA should be there and then you have other opinions all over the board.

Say the NFL was set up like this in some bizzaro world. Does anyone think the Steelers were the #1 team going into the post season last year? I mean outside of Steeler Nation, I seriously doubt it. No they had to win 2 tough road games against heavy favorites to EARN their right to play for the ring. Same should be done for college ball. A playoff system pitting say 8 teams over 3 weeks to determine the NC would be great. Yeah, OSU is awesome this year. So could be said for the Colts last year. But could the Buckeyes win 3 tough games in a row to claim the NC? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe LSU or OU could go on a tear and win the whole thing. Man now THAT would be something to see. But it's not gonna happen now or in the near future. As long as we have rankings and polls and the beauty pageant that is the BCS, we're stuck with this crappy system where 2 teams who haven't played a lick of football for over a month will get together and decide who is #1 this year.

Stupid isn't it?

There lies the problem. Yes the BCS is supposed to match the two best teams for the NC game but the problem is how do any of us know who those two teams are? I think everyone agrees OSU is clearly #1 and I can buy that. But as for #2 there really is no clear way to say who belongs there and who does not. The Big Ten guys say Mich clearly is #2, the SEC guys think FLA should be there and then you have other opinions all over the board.

Say the NFL was set up like this in some bizzaro world. Does anyone think the Steelers were the #1 team going into the post season last year? I mean outside of Steeler Nation, I seriously doubt it. No they had to win 2 tough road games against heavy favorites to EARN their right to play for the ring. Same should be done for college ball. A playoff system pitting say 8 teams over 3 weeks to determine the NC would be great. Yeah, OSU is awesome this year. So could be said for the Colts last year. But could the Buckeyes win 3 tough games in a row to claim the NC? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe LSU or OU could go on a tear and win the whole thing. Man now THAT would be something to see. But it's not gonna happen now or in the near future. As long as we have rankings and polls and the beauty pageant that is the BCS, we're stuck with this crappy system where 2 teams who haven't played a lick of football for over a month will get together and decide who is #1 this year.

Stupid isn't it?

I agree with everything said here, but the point that was being made, is the voters put Florida at #2 and many had them at #1 for the simple reason of making sure they didn't have a rematch, what's fair about intentially doing things like this you know they didn't even believe? It screams FOUL! I guarentee there were countless voters that fell Michigan is #2 but didn't vote that way, and some have said so publicly. This goes far above being reckless with their power.

I agree with everything said here, but the point that was being made, is the voters put Florida at #2 and many had them at #1 for the simple reason of making sure they didn't have a rematch, what's fair about intentially doing things like this you know they didn't even believe? It screams FOUL! I guarentee there were countless voters that fell Michigan is #2 but didn't vote that way, and some have said so publicly. This goes far above being reckless with their power.

Agreed. That's why the whole idea of "voting" to see who plays who is silly and borderline insanity.

Another example is to look at the NCAA Hoops tourney. How many pre-tourney voted #1's actually go on to win the whole thing? You can vote all you want but letting the athletes themselves play for a NC is the ONLY way it could ever be fair.

Agreed. That's why the whole idea of "voting" to see who plays who is silly and borderline insanity.

Another example is to look at the NCAA Hoops tourney. How many pre-tourney voted #1's actually go on to win the whole thing? You can vote all you want but letting the athletes themselves play for a NC is the ONLY way it could ever be fair.

Well, we're making progress on this :D

I am not an SEC hater, in fact, on these very boards when Auburn was left out on the NC game and OU went on to face USC, i was one of the biggest BCS bashers. I thought and still think Auburn got screwed, i felt they were the superior team over OU, and i think i was correct. I feel just as strongly this season. I'm very happy to see the Bucks with another chance, but there will be many questions and "what ifs" when we pound Florida , Michigan fans, with a nice win over USC will be screaming even louder.

Well, there's a middle ground. I love the NCAA hoops tourney but, honestly, it is barely better at determining the best team in the nation than the BCS is. Certainly the last man standing element is rather definative but by allow so many teams, an amount of chaos taints the product. A team spend 4 months proving themselves night in and night out and yet they still have to win 6 in a row just like everyone else. That's a lot of chances to get tripped up by bad luck especially in a game like b-ball where it might just take some guy shooting lights out for the first time in his life and you're done.

Hell, invite enough teams to the football playoff and someone like Wake Forest could get hot and run the table. Maybe a few things break right for them, the top seed they were about to play stumbles, who knows? Can you rightfully say that Wake was the best team in football? I think a 4 or max 8 team tourney gets you the best combination of letting them play it out and assuing that someone who earned it all year long will be crowned.