[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS for Dummies

Rockerbraves

November is the most important month in college football. Bowl bids, coaching jobs and future leaders are either solidified or destroyed. The NCAA calls it's football season a 12-game playoff. November is when a loss is heard across the nation and when travel plans are set in glee or dismay. November is to college football what December is to the pro game; the absolute best the sport has to offer.

Conclusion: Michigan's loss in November is what doomed the Wolverines.

For Sarge's Information: LSU celebrated it's third consecutive season in which the school went undefeated in November which help propel LSU to a #4 ranking in the final BCS standings.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That arguement of when you lose, is a joke. If there was a playoff, teams like LSU wouldnt be considered a top 5 team, without one, a feel good story for the state of La, turns an ordinary SEC team into a top 5 team. Its that simple.

Sarge have to disagree with you again. It does make a difference when you lose. Just look at your OK team. They must have done well in November as well. They started the month of November at 6-2 & the 18th ranked BCS team. Month later and 4 games later they found themselves 10-2 & 12th in the BCS rankings at the end of November.

Still think November isn't the most important month in college football?

Sarge have to disagree with you again. It does make a difference when you lose. Just look at your OK team. They must have done well in November as well. They started the month of November at 6-2 & the 18th ranked BCS team. Month later and 4 games later they found themselves 10-2 & 12th in the BCS rankings at the end of November.

Still think November isn't the most important month in college football?

I thin Michigan losing to OSu in November, with SC losing to Oregon St in October, and Michigan had a better SOS to boot,, and they experts were still going to put SC in the title game over Michigan, because they didnt want to see a rematch, and saying losing late hurt them, is a complete joke. Luckily, Sc showed its true colors and lost to another unranked team and saved themselves further embarassment in the title game. But pathetically, OSU now walks away with an easy Championship, where Michigan I think would have knocked them off their perch in Glendale on a neutral field.

I thin Michigan losing to OSu in November, with SC losing to Oregon St in October, and Michigan had a better SOS to boot,, and they experts were still going to put SC in the title game over Michigan, because they didnt want to see a rematch, and saying losing late hurt them, is a complete joke. Luckily, Sc showed its true colors and lost to another unranked team and saved themselves further embarassment in the title game. But pathetically, OSU now walks away with an easy Championship, where Michigan I think would have knocked them off their perch in Glendale on a neutral field.

Michigan went 1-1 & Florida went 4-0 in the most important month of the season November. My guess is that the Big 10 will probably find a way to play more November games in the future.

Then again maybe not since Wisconsin who held a BCS ranking of 16th at the beginning of November at 8-1 moved up to #7 by simply going 2-0 in the most important month of the season. If you are going to do that you better go undefeated. My recommendation to the Big 10 should they decide to still end their season prior to Thanksgiving is to play that always huge Ohio State / Michigan game earlier in the season.

Michigan went 1-1 & Florida went 4-0 in the most important month of the season November. My guess is that the Big 10 will probably find a way to play more November games in the future.

Then again maybe not since Wisconsin who held a BCS ranking of 16th at the beginning of November at 8-1 moved up to #7 by simply going 2-0 in the most important month of the season. If you are going to do that you better go undefeated. My recommendation to the Big 10 should they decide to still end their season prior to Thanksgiving is to play that always huge Ohio State / Michigan game earlier in the season.

You are missing my point, Does it matter. To the voters, it does. Should it matter, hell no it shouldnt. When you play the #1 team in the country at the end of November, as opposed to losing to a 10th ranked team in Sept or Oct, it shouldnt matter.

You are missing my point, Does it matter. To the voters, it does. Should it matter, hell no it shouldnt. When you play the #1 team in the country at the end of November, as opposed to losing to a 10th ranked team in Sept or Oct, it shouldnt matter.

Of course it should. You are kiddin I hope. BCS is looking for the best two teams now not back in September or October.

Of course it should. You are kiddin I hope. BCS is looking for the best two teams now not back in September or October.

:D Did Michigan trade some of it's players or did they sign agents and go pro or something. Of course their the 2nd best team, they didn't get any worse by practicing, if anything i'd imagine they got healthier thereby better.

:D Did Michigan trade some of it's players or did they sign agents and go pro or something. Of course their the 2nd best team, they didn't get any worse by practicing, if anything i'd imagine they got healthier thereby better.

Like I've said before if the Big ten is so ticked off they should follow the SEC lead and have the NCAA rules changed in order to have a Big 10 conference championship game. Of course what that would mean is that the Big ten would have to be willing to potentially have the losing team drop out of a BCS bowl game as has been the norm for the SEC. The voters apparently had more data on Florida due to the extra game. Without that game Michigan is in.

Like I've said before if the Big ten is so ticked off they should follow the SEC lead and have the NCAA rules changed in order to have a Big 10 conference championship game. Of course what that would mean is that the Big ten would have to be willing to potentially have the losing team drop out of a BCS bowl game as has been the norm for the SEC. The voters apparently had more data on Florida due to the extra game. Without that game Michigan is in.

No need for that and will only happen if ND joins. I say just start the season at least a week later.

Follow the SEC lead and whine like Urban Meyer did. And I agree a Big 10 Championship game would have put Michigan in that game, but may have taken Ohio State out of it. So then what. 3 - 1 loss teams vying for 2 spots.

Embarassment in the Title Game? Let's see ....... SC loses one close game, that could have gone either way, 41-38 to Texas and Oklahoma gets drilled by those same Trojans 55-19 :D and gets buried :D a few years earlier by LSU. It appears that your Sooners not only can't win a big game they play like they don't belong. The more you spew, the less credibility you have. :bash:

Follow the SEC lead and whine like Urban Meyer did.

Here is where sarge and I agree. Urban Meyer is paid to win a NC. That's his job and believe that Florida fans are spoiled and expect to compete for it. I want my coach making his case as to why his team should play for NC. You can call it whining or bittcchhing or moaning or complaining or any other negative term. I'm fine with that. This current system sucks and everyone knows it but it's the system. Urban Cryer did exactly what the Gators wanted him to do---make it possible for us to play for the National Championship.

The most important factor here is that it has ALWAYS been this way. Early losses can be overlooked while late losses have hurt more. This year the UMK fans want it changed to suit their agenda. Sorry, this is the way the voters have always treated their votes.

Embarassment in the Title Game? Let's see ....... SC loses one close game, that could have gone either way, 41-38 to Texas and Oklahoma gets drilled by those same Trojans 55-19 :D and gets buried :D a few years earlier by LSU. It appears that your Sooners not only can't win a big game they play like they don't belong. The more you spew, the less credibility you have. :bash:

OH has won the same amount of BCS titles as Sc has in this decade, and has been to the same amount of BCS games, and one more BCS title game. I hardly think my Sooners cant win big games. They lost one game to LSU with a Qb with a broken wrist 21-14, and were 14 yards from tying that game on a gassed LSu defense in their backyard. Then they completely self destruct vs SC, and they capitalize on every opportunity losing bad. But Stoops has had more competition in the Big 12 over the years, than Sc has ever had in the wac-10, and whats funny is unranked Pac-10 teams, continue to beat this team, when they have everything on the line. Think about that for a second, Ou played a ranked team for the right to just go to a BCS bowl, and won handily, and SC couldnt beat an unranked team to go to the NC game. Pathetic.

There is one thought here, is that Michigan lost in November yes, but they lost to #1. Now, Oklahoma in 2003, lost in November, but lost to Kansas State. Now I'm not trying to open up old wounds, but this just further prooves, that the voters weren't looking at anything other than they didn't want a rematch to happen. Again, it was a vote against the rematch, not for Florida. In the BCS era, losses in November haven't been complete disasters. Nebraska in 2001 anyone? Oklahoma was already mentioned. Both of those teams still made the championship game. Both times, they didn't lose to the #1 team. The precedent has been set. Michigan got treated differently than those teams, despite losing to a higher ranked team. In THAT respect, it makes no sense.

OH has won the same amount of BCS titles as Sc has in this decade, and has been to the same amount of BCS games, and one more BCS title game. I hardly think my Sooners cant win big games. They lost one game to LSU with a Qb with a broken wrist 21-14, and were 14 yards from tying that game on a gassed LSu defense in their backyard. Then they completely self destruct vs SC, and they capitalize on every opportunity losing bad. But Stoops has had more competition in the Big 12 over the years, than Sc has ever had in the wac-10, and whats funny is unranked Pac-10 teams, continue to beat this team, when they have everything on the line. Think about that for a second, Ou played a ranked team for the right to just go to a BCS bowl, and won handily, and SC couldnt beat an unranked team to go to the NC game. Pathetic.

2 National Championships my boy .... TWO!

I love it when you continue to prove my point about the competitveness and the quality of football played in the PAC-10! How many times has USC been beat the last 4 years outside of their own conference? Is there anyone out there that can come up with more excuses :D than you when their team loses? Did OU self destruct or were they totally outmatched, outcoached and outplayed by USC? :D 55-19 say's it all.

Man up. :bash:

Edited by theprofessor

I hate OU and they'd still beat USC, all of these losses at the wrong time....if you put it backwards and have usc lost two early games to ucla and oregon do they even sniff the top 10? OU lost 2 games early on and had to make up a lot more ground, and I think they're a better team. Sarge has a point here, I mean UCLA to play in the title, and they choke? No QB and no Peterson and the end up landing the shi* bowl to stomp on boise state. I'm wonder where all those big east fans went, they probably think BS has a chance vs OU. Michigan will steamroll usc like nothing else, and that's what everyone assumes (if not, they shouldn't even be considered for the NC and Florida is/was the right choice). I think Ohio State, Florida, and Michigan would thump USC around, so there wasn't much they could do there. I get so sidetracked in these arguments, but OU was also robbed blind in Oregon. The bcs sucks, bring on the playoff!

There is one thought here, is that Michigan lost in November yes, but they lost to #1. Now, Oklahoma in 2003, lost in November, but lost to Kansas State. Now I'm not trying to open up old wounds, but this just further prooves, that the voters weren't looking at anything other than they didn't want a rematch to happen. Again, it was a vote against the rematch, not for Florida. In the BCS era, losses in November haven't been complete disasters. Nebraska in 2001 anyone? Oklahoma was already mentioned. Both of those teams still made the championship game. Both times, they didn't lose to the #1 team. The precedent has been set. Michigan got treated differently than those teams, despite losing to a higher ranked team. In THAT respect, it makes no sense.

Brian not sure what you are talking about? Oklahoma did not lose in November. The only game Oklahoma lost that year was in December in their conference championship. They were undefeated thru November the most important month of the season. As far as Nebraska goes they benefited from a rash of upsets on the final weekend of the regular season and in conference championship games to earn their spot in the national title game which would have benefited Michigan if Florida would have lost.

Follow the SEC lead and whine like Urban Meyer did. And I agree a Big 10 Championship game would have put Michigan in that game, but may have taken Ohio State out of it. So then what. 3 - 1 loss teams vying for 2 spots.

Big Ten would learn how to man up like the SEC did in 2001 when the SEC Vols lost to LSU 31-20 in the SEC Championship game. The result knocked Tennessee out of the national championship picture and further clouded the Bowl Championship Series. The Volunteers (10-2) could have clinched a spot alongside Miami

in the Rose Bowl, but the loss opened the door for Nebraska, Oregon or even two-loss Colorado to play the Hurricanes.

You can try to minimize SC's :bash: success all day long. The truth of the matter is that SC won 2 National Championships. One of them by a resounding score of :D 55-19 :D

The BCS only recognizes one. You can recognize whatever you want. In fact in LA, there is a billboard that says as much. Only 1 title, with all that Hype.