[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS for Dummies

Rockerbraves

Brian not sure what you are talking about? Oklahoma did not lose in November. The only game Oklahoma lost that year was in December in their conference championship. They were undefeated thru November the most important month of the season. As far as Nebraska goes they benefited from a rash of upsets on the final weekend of the regular season and in conference championship games to earn their spot in the national title game which would have benefited Michigan if Florida would have lost.

Um, ok, so what exactly did Florida even prove in November? You can take the Arkansas game out (that doesnt count cuz it was played in December). Lets see... they played an awful FSU team, played the worst team in Division 1.... *A*. In other words, they didn't even get TESTED in November. They each have a common opponent that Florida played in November. Fla struggled to beat a tough as nails Vanderbilt team, someone Michigan handled quite easily in the opener. Florida lucked out against a very average South Carolina team, and needed a blocked kick at the end of the game to save that one. So in the most important month of the year, Florida schedules a Div 1A opponent (why thats even allowed is beyond me, in NOVEMBER?!) and almost lost to a very bad vandy team, and a very average south carolina team, not to mention their close game with a below average FSU team (not gonna hold that against them, it was a rivalry). So it's only the most important month of the year for some, but others can get away with scheduling crap, and then say "oooh lookey here, look at our great record in november.... we went undefeated!"

I'm simply talking about late season games. Conference Championships are late season games. Now you can say... well the Big Ten should have a conf championship game, and it's not fair that someone could lose in the championship game, where it's risk or reward. Exactly, it's risk and reward. You know the consequences when you take that big check, and you obviously have no problem accepting the reward (and more importantly the check, please do not forget that). As for Nebraska in 2001, they went 2-1 in your imporant month. 51-7 at Kansas, 31-21 against Kansas State (about the equivalent of south carolina that year), and then the 62-36 loss at Colorado. So they hardly suffered from a major late season collapse, they were going business as usual until the Colorado debacle (who was ranked 14th going into that game). In 2003, Kansas State Kansas State was ranked #13 going into that game. 2 late season losses, 2 double standards. All because they didn't want to see a rematch.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, ok, so what exactly did Florida even prove in November? You can take the Arkansas game out (that doesnt count cuz it was played in December). Lets see... they played an awful FSU team, played the worst team in Division 1.... *A*. In other words, they didn't even get TESTED in November.

Not going to disagree that the Gators schedule in November was tough because it wasn't and that's why Michigan was ranked higher than Florida at the end of the most important month of the season even though they loss. That's where the risk and reward you mentioned about the SEC Championship comes in. In 2001 it backfired on the SEC & the Vols, yet the game rewarded the SEC in the 2003 NC with LSU and this year's 2007 NC game with Florida. If the Gators would have beaten Auburn but lost to Florida State in November the chances are very good Michigan would have been in.

Not going to disagree that the Gators schedule in November was tough because it wasn't and that's why Michigan was ranked higher than Florida at the end of the most important month of the season even though they loss. That's where the risk and reward you mentioned about the SEC Championship comes in. In 2001 it backfired on the SEC & the Vols, yet the game rewarded the SEC in the 2003 NC with LSU and this year's 2007 NC game with Florida. If the Gators would have beaten Auburn but lost to Florida State in November the chances are very good Michigan would have been in.

Never use the 'Gators losing to fsu' as an example.

In 2003, LSU woulda been in regardless. They were #3 in both polls going into the conference championship game with Georgia. Oklahoma lost, and received no punishment. While Southern Cal lost, but ran the table in the most important stretch of the season as you call it, yet was screwed in the end despite being #1 in both polls. They lost to Cal on September 27th that year. So in other words, their is a severe double standard here. Each of those cases, those teams lost late in the season to lower ranked teams, and still received no punishment, yet Michigan loses to a higher ranked team and gets left out.

In 2003, LSU woulda been in regardless. They were #3 in both polls going into the conference championship game with Georgia. Oklahoma lost, and received no punishment. While Southern Cal lost, but ran the table in the most important stretch of the season as you call it, yet was screwed in the end despite being #1 in both polls. They lost to Cal on September 27th that year. So in other words, their is a severe double standard here. Each of those cases, those teams lost late in the season to lower ranked teams, and still received no punishment, yet Michigan loses to a higher ranked team and gets left out.

Brian, LSU absolutely needed that win in the SEC championship game to get by USC in the only poll that counted which was and is the BCS poll to get in the NC game. If LSU doesn't play in that December game they wouldn't have played in the BCS NC in 2003. It would have been Oklahoma and USC.

Thanks to the BCS system we now at least have a national championship game vs. having the #1 & #2 teams playing in different bowls. Granted it's not perfect (playoffs) but it sure beats what we use to have.

I agree with ya Rocker. Just wanted to "stir-things-up" this morning. :D

Thanks to the BCS system we now at least have a national championship game vs. having the #1 & #2 teams playing in different bowls. Granted it's not perfect (playoffs) but it sure beats what we use to have.

Seems to me to be no difference at all, the #1 and #2 teams ARE still playing in different bowls this season. However the 2 teams that people would RATHER see are playing.

:D Well said! LSU is the best team in the nation and they have 2 losses and scored an amazing 3 pts agaisnt Auburn to prove so.

Thought you might like that. You're right though, being consider one of the elite final four teams in the nation with two losses just proves once again how tough LSU and the SEC really are. Better tell your boys to buckle those big ten chin straps in Glendale. This ain't going to be another one of those soft hitting big ten type games.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Thought you might like that. You're right though, being consider one of the elite final four teams in the nation with two losses just proves once again how tough LSU and the SEC really are. Better tell your boys to buckle those big ten chin straps in Glendale. This ain't going to be another one of those soft hitting big ten type games.

FYI: Tell your players that helmet to helmet penalty in the Michigan game isn't called down here. SEC refs just pat the defender slightly on the butt and whisper good lick. :D

Then agian, what's it gonna make LSU if freakin' overrated Notre Dame beats them on their own home turf?

FYI: Tell your players that helmet to helmet penalty in the Michigan game isn't called down here. SEC refs just pat the defender slightly on the butt and whisper good lick. :D

One thing I can say is the Buckeyes don't mind is a good "ole" slobber knocker game. I would think Florida trys to play power football with the Bucks could be a bad direction for Meyer to go and my guess is that will not be the direction he goes. I could be wrong and my personal feeling is Tress would love a power football game and so would I.

My guess is we will see alot of the same as the Arkansas game. Florida will move around alot on defense to try to confuse the line protections and on offense they wll attack Jamario O'Neil and test A. Smith staying away from Jenkins and pick on our #3 and #4 db's. I think Florida will try alot of misdirection to slow the Bucks defense and get Harvin even more involved. Ohio State will counter with alot of zone protections and staying at home and containing the Florida offense inside the box as much as possible. I don't think you will see OSU defense getting fooled with the trickerations. OSU will do what they have all year long and depend on the front four to get heat and blitzing the ''Animal" and A. Smith from time to time. Florida offense vs OSU defense is where the real game is at. The one thing I like about OSU is the depth they have to move players in and out and not get worn out. Florida might want to try a no huddle type offense against us to keep the same defensive package in the game especially early try to fatigue the Bucks defense a little. I have not see OSU defense worn down in the 4th yet, I think that is only because how much OSU switches players in and out. OSU during the Texas game would switch the whole defensive team out between the 1's and 2's.

I do think the Florida speed on defense is a key for them. I just think with all the injuries they might be a little gassed late. Florida offense must win this game in the end. I still think slowing the game down and long drives is what would beat the Bucks. You keep OSU offense on the pine and they can't hurt you and Florida defense staying off the field also could help in a big way as much as they are hurting and depth wise.

I see alot closer game than most and I do think Florida matches up with us and our game style more than a USC. I had settled on USC and was not that worried only because I just don't think Booty could have beaten us and OSU game plan would have forced Booty to beat us double Jarret and jam the box. I think USC would have been beaten by more than what ever the spread was. Michigan matches us the best, but Florida will give us fits especially early with that spread "H"back look. Leak has to have a special game and I think he has a better chance to do that than Booty only due to Leak can scramble enough to advoid the rush.

But Stoops has had more competition in the Big 12 over the years, than Sc has ever had in the wac-10, and whats funny is unranked Pac-10 teams, continue to beat this team, when they have everything on the line. Think about that for a second, Ou played a ranked team for the right to just go to a BCS bowl, and won handily, and SC couldnt beat an unranked team to go to the NC game. Pathetic.

Dam it sure is hard to argue with the facts!!!!!!!

IF there was no Hurricane Katrina, LSU would be ranked outside the top 10. dont fool yourself thinking that ranking is actually deserved. Its a sympathy vote the Tigers are getting this yr. Enjoy it, while you have it.

IF there was no Hurricane Katrina, LSU would be ranked outside the top 10. dont fool yourself thinking that ranking is actually deserved. Its a sympathy vote the Tigers are getting this yr. Enjoy it, while you have it.

I remember what matters most. We are still here. LET US MAKE THEM REMEMBER...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGQiMBdZrk4

Enjoy it! :D

I remember what matters most. We are still here. LET US MAKE THEM REMEMBER...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGQiMBdZrk4

Enjoy it! :D

You heard what I said. You can live in the past all you wish, but this LSU team is not a top 5 team, and unfortunately they drew Notre Dame in La to help inflate this teams over ranked ass for the season. Rest assured, Les Miles will never win a Championship of any kind. SEC, NC, or Pee Wee football. God Bless LSU, if it wasnt for them, he would be out of a job. But just like Alabama, even those coon ass in the Bayou, will figure that out.

• 4 weeks later...

OH has won the same amount of BCS titles as Sc has in this decade, and has been to the same amount of BCS games, and one more BCS title game. I hardly think my Sooners cant win big games. They lost one game to LSU with a Qb with a broken wrist 21-14, and were 14 yards from tying that game on a gassed LSu defense in their backyard. Then they completely self destruct vs SC, and they capitalize on every opportunity losing bad. But Stoops has had more competition in the Big 12 over the years, than Sc has ever had in the wac-10, and whats funny is unranked Pac-10 teams, continue to beat this team, when they have everything on the line. Think about that for a second, Ou played a ranked team for the right to just go to a BCS bowl, and won handily, and SC couldnt beat an unranked team to go to the NC game. Pathetic.

:D Do you still call it Pathetic? USC beats Michigan while your OK team loses to Little Boise...

Dam it sure is hard to argue with the facts!!!!!!!

It's sad when the perspective is as screwed up as the poster. The facts are what the facts are. USC is CLEARLY the best College football program over the last 5 years. 2 National Championships and totally dominating their Conference and Out of Conference opponents, year after year. This year starting 15 true freshman. 59-6! Incredible run and it's only the beginning :D