[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish Help Please

Easy n Dirty

How does being online with MFL change anything? The league in question here is on MFL. My experience is that MFL will warn an owner if he submits a starting lineup with too many players, but not if he submits an incomplete lineup (unless there's some sort of preference box that I should be checking off somewhere).

MFL will not allow a lineup with too many players. If there are too few players, it will allow it with a message that the lineup in incomplete.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MFL will not allow a lineup with too many players. If there are too few players, it will allow it with a message that the lineup in incomplete.

It will only do that if you allow partial lineups. If you do not allow partial lineups, then it will not accpet the incomplete lineup and will let the owner know that they have failed to submit a legal lineup.

This is one reason why I have now set up my leagus on MFL to not allow partial lineups, but I do allow changes up to the Sunday morning kickoff (or players game time depending on the league).

This way an owner will always have a complete lineup submitted.... (though, if you are me a couple weeks ago, you can still misclick the wrong player in/out and bench Chad Johnson by accident when he goes for 200+ and 3 scores and virtually eliminate yourself from a money finish in the league as CJ would have outscored my opponent by himself)

It will only do that if you allow partial lineups. If you do not allow partial lineups, then it will not accpet the incomplete lineup and will let the owner know that they have failed to submit a legal lineup.

This is one reason why I have now set up my leagus on MFL to not allow partial lineups, but I do allow changes up to the Sunday morning kickoff (or players game time depending on the league).

How do I not allow partial lineups? I just went into Setup on MFL and could not find this option. Any help is appreciated.

Whoa, this just happened this week in a league I commish. He went to make a lineup change on Thursday and forgot to recheck Palmer. I told him since he manually reset his lineup he is ultimately responsible for setting an incorrect lineup.

Partial lineups are allowed in our league but it still gives you a warning if you fail to submit someone in that position.

How do I not allow partial lineups? I just went into Setup on MFL and could not find this option. Any help is appreciated.

Commissioner Setup > Transaction Setup > Weekly Lineup Setup

There is a box with three radial buttons:

Use the System for deciding if partial lineups are allowed or not

Yes, partial lineups are always allowed

No, partial lineups are never allowed

Man, this seems simple.

The guy submitted a lineup. His lineup doesn't have a QB entered. Give him a 0 at QB, let the chips fall where they may, and address the situation in the offseason by adding a rule.

Anything else predisposes something that is not covered by the rules and harms an owner intentionally by action through the league.

+1

Commissioner Setup > Transaction Setup > Weekly Lineup Setup

There is a box with three radial buttons:

Use the System for deciding if partial lineups are allowed or not

Yes, partial lineups are always allowed

No, partial lineups are never allowed

There it is. I KNEW Grits would know where to find that function.

so he submitted a partial lineup...in other words, part of his lineup was submitted, part of it wasn't. why wouldn't the rules for un-submitted lineups kick in for the part of the lineup that was not submitted?

this whole issue is silly. just do the sensible, equitable thing and put eli into his friggin lineup.

I am of the opinion that if he failed to submit a valid line-up, in essence, he failed to submit a line-up at all.

I am surprised your league software allowed this line-up to go through....in Sportsline, it will give you an error message if you fail to submit a valid line-up.

Notwithstanding, I'd vote to have his enitre line-up from last week active for this week (minus his TH players). Your rules clearly spell out the consequences of being a dope. I mean, how hard can it be to set a valid line-up? :D I know we all make mistakes, but usually, you have to pay for your mistakes.

At the very least, give him a "0" for his QB spot this week, and make sure your rules regarding "invalid" line-ups are spelled out for your 2007 season.

I agree with this. Don't pick and choose. Throw the whole thing out and use last week's. That's what is in your rules.

I'm sorry, I didn't see anywhere in the topic subject where the rules said anything about "partial submittals" or anything else, other than if the owner does not submit a lineup, last week's lineup will be used.

Did the offending owner submit a lineup? The answer is obviously Yes. He did submit a lineup, and his submission did not include a QB.

So what happens? Well, he gets a 0 for his QB score. He could have prevented the whole thing from happening by checking the starting lineups after he made his submittal (like I do every week to make sure I didn't start the wrong guy or mistakenly start a player on a bye week), but that would have required the owner being responsible. However, unless it is specifically stated in the rules that someone beside the owner is responsible for checking his lineup to ensure it is complete & appropriate, the onus is on the submitting owner. It is HIS team. HE has responsibility for ensuring that his submittal is what he meant to do, not anyone else in the league including the commish.

To change his submittal after the fact means the league has taken control of his ownership duties for him. That's wrong, no matter how anyone tries to cloak it, and it screws over someone else in the league by the league doing so.

Let the original submittal stand as is. That's what your rules say you are supposed to do, not the other touchy-feely crap that amount to unsupported interpretation of the rules.

I'm sorry, I didn't see anywhere in the topic subject where the rules said anything about "partial submittals" or anything else

well, maybe you should pay attention.

obviously, his league rules at present allow for submitting partial lineups. "partial submittals", if you will. it wouldn't have allowed him to submit an incomplete lineup otherwise.

well, maybe you should pay attention.

obviously, his league rules at present allow for submitting partial lineups. "partial submittals", if you will. it wouldn't have allowed him to submit an incomplete lineup otherwise.

I'm sorry, I must have missed it. Where did EnD say that about his league rules regarding partial submittals of lineups?

The league rules and what the management site is/isn't capable of, whether through lack of ability or commish ignorance, are separate matters.

Maybe you should stop with your usual ploy of making crap up to fit your argument.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm sorry, I must have missed it. Where did EnD say that about his league rules regarding partial submittals of lineups?

The league rules and what the management site is/isn't capable of, whether through lack of ability or commish ignorance, are separate matters.

Maybe you should stop with your usual ploy of making crap up to fit your argument.

:D the question as to whether incomplete lineups are considered partial or comprehensive is obviously not addressed in the narrative part of the league rules one way or the other. thus the rules in effect are what the commish set the league up to accept. he set it up to accept partial lineups, and here the league site DID ACCEPT a partial lineup.

i'd say that gives the guy a pretty strong argument here that his partial lineup should be treated as a partial lineup, and that the un-submitted part should be treated like it was not submitted.

Edited by Azazello1313

It amazes me that every year it seems like we run into something like this though. You think that the rules have it all covered, but somehow, someone manages to find a way :D

We had a bidding deadline last year that you had to have your bid in before noon. Well, a guy bids and it goes through at 12:00 and he says it's before noon. Well..................no, it's at noon. So we have this big discussion and now we have a rule for that that it has to post on or before 11:59:59!!!! If we keep up at this rate, I'll have to start a log book of rules!!!!

:D the question as to whether incomplete lineups are considered partial or comprehensive is obviously not addressed in the narrative part of the league rules one way or the other.

Exactly. So you decide to make up a rule as you see fit.

The question is simple - see if you can comprehend it this time:

Did the offending owner submit a lineup? The narrative says he did, and forgot to check the QB. That ends the issue unless rules say otherwise - the league rules, that is, not the ones you are making up for the league on the fly.

I'm sorry, I didn't see anywhere in the topic subject where the rules said anything about "partial submittals" or anything else, other than if the owner does not submit a lineup, last week's lineup will be used.

Did the offending owner submit a lineup? The answer is obviously Yes. He did submit a lineup, and his submission did not include a QB.

To change his submittal after the fact means the league has taken control of his ownership duties for him. That's wrong, no matter how anyone tries to cloak it, and it screws over someone else in the league by the league doing so.

I guess the point of contention comes down to the definition of what a "line-up" is.

Bronco, you state that he did submit a line-up, but it did not include a QB. In my mind, that blatantly means HE DID NOT submit a line-up, because as the rules state, he HAS to incldue a QB.

Their rules state that a line-up must include a QB, 2 RBs, etc...if no QB was chosen, then no line-up was submitted.

In our league, our rules state you are required to submit 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF. If you don't submit these positions as the rule states, you have submitted an "invalid" line-up. In our league, that would result in a "0" for the entire week. The penalty sounds stiff, but in 8 years, no one has screwed up...most likely because of the penalty.

I guess the point of contention comes down to the definition of what a "line-up" is.

Bronco, you state that he did submit a line-up, but it did not include a QB. In my mind, that blatantly means HE DID NOT submit a line-up, because as the rules state, he HAS to incldue a QB.

Their rules state that a line-up must include a QB, 2 RBs, etc...if no QB was chosen, then no line-up was submitted.

In our league, our rules state you are required to submit 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF. If you don't submit these positions as the rule states, you have submitted an "invalid" line-up. In our league, that would result in a "0" for the entire week. The penalty sounds stiff, but in 8 years, no one has screwed up...most likely because of the penalty.

Okay, I'll play Devil's advocate with you. How would you address each of the following with fairness to all owners in the league, given the rule as EnD listed it for us:

A ) An owner submits a lineup without the QB checked (just like the initial post).

B ) An owner submits a lineup starting a QB who is on a bye week.

C ) An owner submits a lineup with a QB who is declared inactive before the game.

D ) An owner submits a lineup with a QB who is questionable on the NFL injury report and does not end up playing in the game even though he remains on the active roster.

E ) An owner starts a QB who is hurt on the first play of the game and accumulates no stats for the game.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Okay, I'll play Devil's advocate with you. How would you address each of the following with fairness to all owners in the league, given the rule as EnD listed it for us:

A ) An owner submits a lineup without the QB checked (just like the initial post).

B ) An owner submits a lineup starting a QB who is on a bye week.

C ) An owner submits a lineup with a QB who is declared inactive before the game.

D ) An owner submits a lineup with a QB who is questionable on the NFL injury report and does not end up playing in the game even though he remains on the active roster.

E ) An owner starts a QB who is hurt on the first play of the game and accumulates no stats for the game.

well, he probably takes a zero on all of those, with the possible exception of B and C, depending on league rules regarding legal lineups. of course, in ALL of those hypotheticals, a QB WAS submitted, distinguishing it from the current example A.

but as long as we're tossing around hypotheticals....what if the guy somehow went to the "submit lineup" page, didn't check ANY boxes, and then clicked submit. according to your logic, he takes a zero at every position, correct? or what if he was dumb or just in a hurry and he wanted to carry over his entire lineup from the previous week, except to switch kickers, so he goes in and clicks the other kicker and that's it and submits. he takes a zero at every position except kicker?

but as long as we're tossing around hypotheticals....what if the guy somehow went to the "submit lineup" page, didn't check ANY boxes, and then clicked submit. according to your logic, he takes a zero at every position, correct? or what if he was dumb or just in a hurry and he wanted to carry over his entire lineup from the previous week, except to switch kickers, so he goes in and clicks the other kicker and that's it and submits. he takes a zero at every position except kicker?

Yep, take the 0. I believe in owner responsibility to his team and to the league. You apparently believe that every owner needs a nanny like you to save them from themselves.