[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

....... a request for marsala

Bier Meister

can use veal or chicken.

4 oz unsalted butter (by weight)

4 oz flour (by weight)

1/2 C or so of flour

S&P

1-2 tbs veg or olive oil (we use blends int he kitchen)

1 shallot minced

2 C button mushrooms (finely sliced)

1 1/2 C stock (use chicken if chicken, use beef if veal)

1 1/2 C marsala wine

1 tbs butter

1/4 - 1/8 C cream

preheat oven to 150-175. melt butter. add flour cook for about 5-8 min.... want a lighter roux. under serran wrap pound chicken or veal flat until it is about 1/8 - 1/4" thick. mix s&p into flour. lightly dredge meat. in a separate pan heat pan (med-high), add oil until hot enough to cook. sear your meat cook about 90%... set aside in a low temp oven (150 - 175). and more oil... saute mushrooms... add shallots when shrooms are 75% cooked. cook for about 2-3 more min. deglaze with marsala.. then add stock. reduce by 1/2. while boiling add 1-2 tsp of roux... whisking constantly.. it will thicken in a few minutes. if your need more, add more a little at a time. add cream.. boil until reaches desired consistancy. finish with butter. check meat for doneness.... just top meat with sauce. very good with noodles, risotto, and speatzle

can use veal or chicken.

4 oz unsalted butter (by weight)

4 oz flour (by weight)

1/2 C or so of flour

S&P

1-2 tbs veg or olive oil (we use blends int he kitchen)

1 shallot minced

2 C button mushrooms (finely sliced)

1 1/2 C stock (use chicken if chicken, use beef if veal)

1 1/2 C marsala wine

1 tbs butter

1/4 - 1/8 C cream

preheat oven to 150-175. melt butter. add flour cook for about 5-8 min.... want a lighter roux. under serran wrap pound chicken or veal flat until it is about 1/8 - 1/4" thick. mix s&p into flour. lightly dredge meat. in a separate pan heat pan (med-high), add oil until hot enough to cook. sear your meat cook about 90%... set aside in a low temp oven (150 - 175). and more oil... saute mushrooms... add shallots when shrooms are 75% cooked. cook for about 2-3 more min. deglaze with marsala.. then add stock. reduce by 1/2. while boiling add 1-2 tsp of roux... whisking constantly.. it will thicken in a few minutes. if your need more, add more a little at a time. add cream.. boil until reaches desired consistancy. finish with butter. check meat for doneness.... just top meat with sauce. very good with noodles, risotto, and speatzle

or pheasant :D

Here is how we did it at the cooking class I went to a few weeks ago:

1 chicken breast--boneless/skinless; about 6oz

flour-as needed

salt and pepper to taste

1 oz clarified butter

1 teaspoon diced shallots

1/4 cup sliced mushrooms

3 oz marsala wine

1 teaspoon lemon juice

3 oz demi-glace (we didn't actually use this, we reduced stock down to 3 oz.

1 tablespoon butter

-Pounded the chicken as Bier said:

-dredg chicken in seasoned flour and saute in clarified butter until golden brown on both sides and almost done

-remove chicken from pan and set aside

-sweat shallots in the pan, add mushrooms and cook until tender

-add marsala and lemon juice and reduce by 1/4

-add demi-glace, return chicken and bring to simmer

-remove from heat and swirl in the butter and season to taste

:drooling:

My grandma taught me how to make Veal Marsala but i use shi-tak-e instead of button mushrooms. It adds a bit more earthy, deeper texture to the dish. It pairs nice with the marsala too :D

thanks Bier!

edit to add: I love the filter, it changed shi-ttake to Sega!ake :D

Edited by Cunning Linguist

• 4 years later...
Thanks bro - will run with this...a bit different than what I did. My timing was off with the roux to the deglazing...it was too thick when it was all said and done.

you may have reduced it too far or added too much roux. was it overly sweet? was it too gummy (or like a paste)?

Edited by Bier Meister

Once mixed with the pasta, it was gummy...that's as good of a word as any. I'd instictively say it was too much flour, but I used less than what was called for....although I doubled up on the ingredients, I didn't double up on the flour. Your recipe calls for more wine than I used, and didn't include the cream...

Once mixed with the pasta, it was gummy...that's as good of a word as any. I'd instictively say it was too much flour, but I used less than what was called for....although I doubled up on the ingredients, I didn't double up on the flour. Your recipe calls for more wine than I used, and didn't include the cream...

additional liquid will thin it. cream is optional

My attempt turned out well, so far as we could tell.

I was kinda going off the reservation here, as my wife has never had marsala, and I had it well over 10 yrs ago. I used portabella mushrooms, and the sauce had kind of a sweet/smoky thing going for it. Not sure if it tasted anything like it was SUPPOSED to, but we liked it.

:wacko: i don't recall getting a smokey flavor or aroma from marsala, but if it worked...cool. might be the portabellas..never used them in the dish.

It wasn't anything overpowering, just a hint. To me it was a nice accent to the sweetness.

glad you were happy with it. anything need changing?

Nothing I can think of. The consistency of my sauce turned out just the way I wanted it.