[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints DT Hollis Thomas suspended four games

rajncajn

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6241644

FOXSports.com has learned that the NFL has suspended Saints defensive tackle Hollis Thomas for four weeks for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and supplements. It's believed that Thomas did not test positive for a steroid, but rather something that was supplement-related for weight loss and/or energy. Thomas will miss the next four games after his appeal was denied this week. As a result, Thomas will not be available to return until the postseason.
Thomas has been huge for us this year both in pass rush & plugging the middle, he will be sorely missed this week & down the stretch. And while I'm glad it wasn't steroids he was busted for he should be smacked for not paying attention to what was in his supplements. This is going to be a really big blow to an already ailing team. :D

Hangin' w/Merriman? :D

Like I said, I'm glad they let on that it wasn't roids he tested positive for. Knowing DTs usually run a fine line between overweight & in-shape it was more likely to be some sort of weight-loss drug.

Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violation

Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violation

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

The Saints suffered a big blow to their defense Tuesday when they found out defensive tackle Hollis Thomas, who is having a career year, is being suspended for four games because he violated the league's steroid policy due to asthma medication he takes.

Thomas has been challenging the positive steroid test and had the support of the Saints. Thomas is a 335-pound defensive tackle who has struggled to keep his weight down and doesn't have the body that normally would be linked to steroids.

During his appeal, John Amoss, who is the Saints' team trainer and an assistant professor at the LSU Health Science Center, sent a letter to the league in support of Thomas. Amoss said Thomas has severe asthma problems and requires a high dose of inhaled steroids to breathe. According to the doctor, Thomas needs a long acting beta agonist and a short acting beta agonist to control his asthma.

During his August drug test, the defensive tackle was taking an asthma product called Advair twice a day while also using an inhaler four times a day.

"Advair contains both the steroid fluticasone and the long acting beta agonist galmeterol," wrote Amoss, who thought the possibility of a false positive might have happened.

After taking the information under consideration, the league ruled Thomas was in violation of the policy and he will be lost to the team for the remainder of the regular season.

If New Orleans makes the playoffs, Thomas would be eligible to play. He can be added to the active roster on Jan. 1, 2007, the day after the regular season ends.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

This is messed up, the guy is diagnosed with asthma and can't even take the meds he needs because of the drug policy. I can't for the life of me understand that. What else is he supposed to do? I thought that the NFL was lenient in these circumstances. *sigh*

DMD, can we get a call from Trainer Phil on this one? :D

Sooooo, the NFL would rather see this guy die on the field rather than take his meds? What a f'in joke! If there ever was a reason to make a legitimate exception, this was it.

What happens when the suspension is over and the Saints make the playoffs? Are they gonna suspend him again? This isn't some supplement from a tacke box that Romo-idiot-ski was taking...this man needs this medication to breathe!

Guess it means no severe-asthmatic can ever play in the NFL?

Edited by The Wolf

Sooooo, the NFL would rather see this guy die on the field rather than take his meds? What a f'in joke! If there ever was a reason to make a legitimate exception, this was it.

What happens when the suspension is over and the Saints make the playoffs? Are they gonna suspend him again? This isn't some supplement from a tacke box that Romo-idiot-ski was taking...this man needs this medication to breathe!

Guess it means no severe-asthmatic can ever play in the NFL?

One thing that gets me is that ESPN was reporting during training camp about his asthma giving him such a hard time with the heat so it's not like no one knew about it. But the thing that kills me the most is that the steroids used in those meds aren't anything like anabolic steroids. They're not performance enhancing in any way unless you consider being able to breath performance enhancing.

One thing that gets me is that ESPN was reporting during training camp about his asthma giving him such a hard time with the heat so it's not like no one knew about it. But the thing that kills me the most is that the steroids used in those meds aren't anything like anabolic steroids. They're not performance enhancing in any way unless you consider being able to breath performance enhancing.

Good point about the type of steroid.

You'll see...this will get overturned. I cannot see the NFL sticking by this. This may even turn out to be a good thing in the long run as the league will realize that every rule they have is not set in stone and that there have to be exceptions. I wonder how hard the union will fight for him.

Good point about the type of steroid.

You'll see...this will get overturned. I cannot see the NFL sticking by this. This may even turn out to be a good thing in the long run as the league will realize that every rule they have is not set in stone and that there have to be exceptions. I wonder how hard the union will fight for him.

They've already denied his appeal so nothing will get overturned. The NFL is sticking to it's guns on this because from what I've read. It seems these type of steroids can be used as a masking agent for the harder stuff and the NFL doesn't want every Shawn, Julius & Bill popping up with sudden cases of asthma. I'll copy the post detailing the eplaination from SR.com.

This is the list of banned substances from the NFLPA website.

I. Anabolic/Androgenic Steroids (cont’d) Generic Name Brand Names (Examples)

Oxandrolone Anavar, Lonovar

http://www.nflpa.com/pdfs/RulesAndRegs/Pro...dSubstances.pdf

Oxandrolone (Oxandrin) is an anabolic steroid created by Searle Laboratories under the trademark Anavar, and introduced into the US in 1964. It is taken orally, and unlike other steroids delivered in this manner, most of which are Class II steroids, the majority of its effects are due to reaction with the androgen receptor. In sufficient dosage, Oxandrolone is highly likely to bind well with the receptor, and is therefore a Class I steroid, while having few other side-effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anavar

I know the arguments but the drug is on the list and there are other alternative drugs available that are not on the list.

Asthma medications not on banned list.

Xolair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xolair

Acculate, Singular and Zyflo along with many others. http://www.webmd.com/content/article/72/81...htm#stabilizers

I also understand the arguments by Hollis Thomas, The Saints, doctors and the fans.

Anti-inflammatory drugs are some of the most important treatment options for people with asthma. They prevent asthma attacks and work by reducing swelling and mucus production in the airways. As a result, airways are less sensitive and less likely to react to asthma triggers.

The main types of anti-inflammatory drugs are corticosteroids (inhaled and oral), mast cell stabilizers, and the leukotriene modifier drugs.

Inhaled Corticosteroids

Inhaled corticosteroids are the most effective medications to reduce airway inflammation and mucus production. The use of these medicines leads to:

Better asthma control

Fewer symptoms and flare-ups

Reduced need for hospitalization

Note that Inhaled steroids prevent symptoms, they do not relieve symptoms. Dosages vary and they need to be taken everyday for best results. Some results are seen in one to three weeks, with the best results after three months of daily use.

Inhaled corticosteroids include:

Advair (a combination medication that includes a corticosteroid plus a long acting bronchodilator drug)

Aerobid

Azmacort

Flovent

Pulmicort

Qvar

Inhaled corticosteroids come in three forms: the metered dose inhaler (MDI), dry powder inhaler (DPI) and nebulizer solutions.

Inhaled corticosteroids have very few side effects, especially at lower doses. It is rare, but if you are taking higher doses, thrush (yeast infection in the mouth) and hoarseness may occur. Rinsing the mouth, gargling after each use and using a spacer device with metered dose inhalers will help prevent these side effects. Thrush is easily treated with an anti-fungal mouthwash.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/72/81609.htm

The NFL has a list that all athletes must obey or they will be suspended. There is a 0 tolerance rule and the NFL has stated this on numerous occasions. There are also other drugs that treat Asthma and are not on the banned substance list. However, there are NO ALTERNATIVE DRUGS THAT ARE AS EFFECTIVE as the corticosteroids that the league has banned. This is a big grey area and I'm sure it will become a big discussion in the offseason.

What bugs me most about this whole ordeal is the NFL. They were the first to attach themselves to Hollis Thomas and his charitable work with kids that suffer from Asthma. They promoted him for giving kids hope and now that he has failed the drug test for treating his LIFE THREATENING DISEASE they have suspended him and distanced themselves from the story.

Unfortunately he is out for the rest of the season and I highly doubt anything will change that. However, he may be the reason some rules are changed regarding the steroid policy in the offseason.

NFLPA, Rules and Regulations: Steroid Policy

http://www.nflpa.com/RulesAndRegs/SteroidPolicy.aspx

They've already denied his appeal so nothing will get overturned. The NFL is sticking to it's guns on this because from what I've read. It seems these type of steroids can be used as a masking agent for the harder stuff and the NFL doesn't want every Shawn, Julius & Bill popping up with sudden cases of asthma. I'll copy the post detailing the eplaination from SR.com.

This is a valid argument but again, the NFL is basically ending this man's career.

This is a valid argument but again, the NFL is basically ending this man's career.

I wouldn't say they're ending it because there are approved meds for him, they just don't work as well as what he was taking. In the end it is still his responsibility to know what he is putting in his body and he should have known better. I guess he was just willing to take that risk. I can understand the NFL wanting to be strict on this because of how much scrutiny MLB is under. What's really funny though is they waited till now to bust him on it.

We used to huff a chicks ass medicine in school cause it gave us a rush, there are some that don't.

This guy new the rules, besides, what they report and what may be the full true story can be two different things.

:D To each his own I guess

Bettis made it with asthma medicine for many years and never used the banned stuff.

Yep.

This guy new the rules, besides, what they report and what may be the full true story can be two different things.

I'd bet this is true for the majority of the excuses we hear when an athlete gets busted for something....

What's really funny though is they waited till now to bust him on it.

So now its a conspiracy? :D

Edited by Wolv

So now its a conspiracy? :D

LOL, no not at all, I just couldn't understand why it took so long for them to do it. I guess with appeals & such it does take a while. To be honest it's probably better that they did it now rather than have his suspension go into the playoffs.

Bettis made it with asthma medicine for many years and never used the banned stuff.

A new list of drugs/substances banned by the NFL came out on 20 June 2006. Bettis was not subject to some of the now prohibited substances, including what Thomas was suspended for. But nice try...

LOL, no not at all, I just couldn't understand why it took so long for them to do it. I guess with appeals & such it does take a while. To be honest it's probably better that they did it now rather than have his suspension go into the playoffs.

Ah - I gotcha.

How long did it take them to shoot down his appeal? I still laugh about the Merriman fiasco "lemme play the system so I'm active during the most critical games". Didn't seem to apply here....