[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jim Mora's dad leaves radio job in wake of comments

matt770

BTW - I'll fully admit that I feel that way about Vick because it is constantly projected to we poor unwashed ignorant football fans by the media that Vick is the greatest football player in the game.

I'll freely admit that Vick is a phenominal athlete. I'll even freely admit that Vick could be a top 3 to 5 RB if he chose to play a position that is more condusive to his skills. But there is no way, no how that anyone will ever convince me, nor produce evidence, that he is a top football player as long as he is playing QB.

I can think of much less physically talented people who are much better football players than Vick is or ever will be. A guy like Zack Thomas immediately jumps to mind, and I could easily list 50 more guys who are better players despite being much less gifted athletes.

In the media? Aside from Mora Sr & Jaworski? Who else can you name that doesn't worship at Vick's alter?

most of them on ESPN, CBS, and SI. watch how they tread carefully when talking about him. they'll all freely call him a playmaker or any other synonym but never a quality NFL QB. They tread carefully b/c like him or not, they'll admit Vick is a freak (on and off the field according to this). That's much different than anointing him a legit, quality NFL QB.

So, obviously Fox Sports must have requested that he leave voluntarily or else be subject to a nasty public termination. Nobody would just quit their job becuase of something this lame. It's pretty interesting to see the difference here bewteen how Fox Sports handles something that is hardly even on the radar screen of controversy vs. how ESPN handles blatant racism from someone who is heard by a much larger audience.

While I think that Fox Sports is WAY overreacting here, at least they show some integrity in that they are willing to act upon something that they (erroneously IMO) see as looking bad for their business.

my guess is this has nothing to do with fox "forcing" mora out in any way. my hunch is this is a family thing. little mora saying "would you shut the f*ck up already, dad?", big mora saying "fine, if that's how you feel". obviously big mora isn't saying anything about vick that hasn't been said a million times by a million different people...the only issue comes in with the father/son relationship between mora and vick's head coach.

so why would everyone assume the issue is race here, not the fact that he's undermining his own son? am i missing something?

That was my general assumption as well, simply the fact he was critisizing his son's favorite player on his son's own team.

Doesn't seem like a very nice dad thing to do.

I agree. I think there's a certain segment of people here who want to blame everything on race in a reverse discrimination mode. My take on this was that Big Mora was opening his mouth about his son's team when he shouldn't have. Black, white, or purple, Mike Vick is the NFL's big cash cow and I doubt the NFL powers that be care to have someone making negative comments about one of their stars.

The man went 173-119-1 coaching in the pros (USFL and NFL), he MIGHT know something about the game.

He is paid to give his opinion; his opinion, right or wrong, is that Mike Vick is lacking as a passer; and his opinion, from roughly 300 games of pro coaching experience, is that you need a guy who can pass in order to win consistently.

I'm surprised he was let go. He was asked the question & very carefully worded his response to it. Of course, ESPN getting ahold of the interview, then taking that one phrase out of context & sensationalizing it, probably has far more to do with Mora Sr being let go, than the actual interview itself.

So, obviously Fox Sports must have requested that he leave voluntarily or else be subject to a nasty public termination.

I'm surprised he was let go

i don't see anything on which to base an assumption that fox pushed him out. his comments are almost exactly the same as those made by a thousand other commentators, they have no racial component and are not inflammatory in any way. why would fox give a chit? the only person who would give a chit is mora's son, who happens to be in the middle of a greuling season trying his damndest to ride vick to the playoffs. when your dad is out badmouthing your star QB, that seriously undermines your position. it certainly isn't doing the son any favors. my guess is they got into it, and big mora was like "i'm not going to pretend i don't feel the way i feel...maybe it would be best if i just get off the radio."

i don't see anything on which to base an assumption that fox pushed him out.

You might have a point here, although the first paragraph of the article quoted in the first post of this thread, insinuates otherwise.

Jim Mora's father has left his job with Fox Sports Radio in the wake of his comments about Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, the network told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

I would say his TV gig is probably more preferable & enjoyable, than the Radio gig.

Possibly Mora Sr wants to devote more time to his spot on NFL Network, or he may have even been told that NFL Network is going to expand his role there & thus he needs to devote more time to his TV gig. :D