[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vince Young = Mike Vick...

vansmack32

Michael Vick = ultimate high school quarterback

Vince Young = running quarterback with passing skills but mostly just potential so far

The only thing the two have in common is that both will run but there's a big difference between run-first Vick and Young who rarely runs unless a pass play breaks down. Vick has been in the league for 5 years and he is what he is - he is not going to "develop" any more than he already has.

Young is interesting and generally impressive so far but he is still pretty raw and the Titans have thus far enjoyed teams not completely taking them seriously.

Young will be interesting to see next year, especially if the Titans can upgrade their WR. Getting Givens was supposed to do that this season but there's a few million thrown in the trash can. The most impressive thing to me about Young is what he has done with a pretty lackluster set of receivers.

plus leadership skills, a sense of purpose when running and better accuracy

does that about sum it up?

I was about to reply with a series of graemlins such as :bash::doh::D:huh::tup::clap: based on the thread title...

Young's supposedly as dumb as a box of rocks (and this may not be giving boxes of rocks enough credit), but I tell you what, Young has surpassed our expectations (well, at least my own) this season.

Vick may have faster wheels, but Young certainly runs with purpose and has ample speed.

Perhaps a better comparison would be to Randall Cunningham? :D

Michael Vick = ultimate high school quarterback

Vince Young = running quarterback with passing skills but mostly just potential so far

The only thing the two have in common is that both will run but there's a big difference between run-first Vick and Young who rarely runs unless a pass play breaks down. Vick has been in the league for 5 years and he is what he is - he is not going to "develop" any more than he already has.

Young is interesting and generally impressive so far but he is still pretty raw and the Titans have thus far enjoyed teams not completely taking them seriously.

Young will be interesting to see next year, especially if the Titans can upgrade their WR. Getting Givens was supposed to do that this season but there's a few million thrown in the trash can. The most impressive thing to me about Young is what he has done with a pretty lackluster set of receivers.

You're just bitter that you didn't stick with your initial prediction last week. :D

But yes, DMD (as per the norm) speaks the truth here. Young oozes potential and possesses the ability to develop. Raw, yes. But mold-able, IMO.

And absolutely... he's done quite well with garbage at WR. The Titans should land themselves an impact WR in this year's draft.

It's amazing how everyone is still labeling Young raw and dumb. The man has serious skills he's been displaying in college and now on Sundays. He also can't be that dumb because he's grasped the offense quickly and he's leading the Titans to more and more victories on Sundays.

As far as Vick goes, the only similarity is their running ability. Young is a much better passer, leader and has a much better feel for the game that seems to come naturally. I can't remember another rookie QB in the last 10 years to have such a big impact on the NFL and his team.

plus leadership skills, a sense of purpose when running and better accuracy

does that about sum it up?

I would disagree on the accuracy part. They're about the same in that department. However Vick is making strides on accuracy while Young is just starting out. Young has the tools to be a very accurate QB on anything shorter than 30 or so yds.

they're alike in that they're running QBs but that's about it imo.

Young has a significant size advantage, better on the short to intermediate routes, and has a MUCH quicker release.

The intangibles... Young seems to play with MUCH greater poise than Vick ever has.

Young = incredibly gifted athlete who can be a successful running QB in the NFL.

Vick = unbelievably gifted RB/WR/slot who insists on squandering his talent playing QB.

Not really a good comparison of the 2, to be honest.

Post edit: Both players' rookie stats, pro-rated to 16 games (Young has played in 11 games, but really is equivalent to about 10 starts, Vick played in 8 games his rookie year, but really was equivalent to 6 starts):

Young (pro-rated to 16 games)

2378 yds passing

50.4% completions

16 passing TDs

16 INTs

98 rushes for 597 yds

6 rushing TDs

Vick (rookie year pro-rated to 16 games)

2093 yds passing

44.2% completions

5 passing TDs

8 INTs

77 rushes for 800 yds

3 rushing TDs

Clearly Young fits the profile of a NFL QB much better than Vick did when comparing rookie years on an equal basis.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I can't remember another rookie QB in the last 10 years to have such a big impact on the NFL and his team.

I seem to remember a rookie leading some team to the Super Bowl last year. Care to expand on your statement in light of Ben Roethlisberger (and no, I am not a Steelers fan... just trying to figure out what is meant by "impact").

I seem to remember a rookie leading some team to the Super Bowl last year. Care to expand on your statement in light of Ben Roethlisberger (and no, I am not a Steelers fan... just trying to figure out what is meant by "impact").

I believe that you are on to something.

Roethlisberger is just in the 3rd year of his rookie season this year and is just going through typical rookie growing pains.

Kind of like 4th grade being the best 3 years of my life...

:D

Edited by Bronco Billy

D'OH!!! :D

You guys know what I was trying to get at, though. Forgiving my missing brain cells, Roethlisberger looked DANG good as a rook. I tried for too much gusto with his playoff performance and welded together his first two seasons.

Back to my point, though. I'd still say Roethlisberger had a pretty nice impact on his team in his ROOKIE SEASON (the one where he didn't go to the Super Bowl)... 14-0 regular season, only loss to the Super Bowl champs. I'd say that is an impact.

Again, apologies for the brain fart.

Edited by CardinalEmpire.com

I believe that you are on to something.

Roethlisberger is just in the 3rd year of his rookie season this year and is just going through typical rookie growing pains.

Okay, that's just plain funny. I don't care who you root for.

You guys know what I was trying to get at, though. Forgiving my missing brain cells, Roethlisberger looked DANG good as a rook. I tried for too much gusto with his playoff performance and welded together his first two seasons.

Back to my point, though. I'd still say Roethlisberger had a pretty nice impact on his team in his ROOKIE SEASON (the one where he didn't go to the Super Bowl)... 14-0 regular season, only loss to the Super Bowl champs. I'd say that is an impact.

A crushing D and relentless running game is a rookie QB's best friend... Ben had both those things in his 1st 2 seasons.

Take away those 2 things and you have Ben this season.

Young has a very subpar D allowing the most ypg in the league. Actually a pretty decent running game but Travis Henry is no Bettis/Parker. Nor does the Titans' front 5 even approach the Steelers' front 5.

These are no where near comparable. Roethlisberger went to a run oriented team, who had a great defense and was asked to not screw things up, and hand the ball off. the Titans are winning with no defense, and Young making things happen on offense. You put Vince Young on the Steelers and they are a lock to win several SBs in his career. . Put Roeth on Tennessee and they are worse than Pittsburgh is now, as even Pittsburghs talent on D, cant overcome his mental mistakes on a weekly basis.

Wow, I didn't expect a board full of "modernists" here. Did you guys have these same feelings when everyone was comparing Big Ben to Marino and Montana or is this just because of his first bad season in three as a starter? Talk about what have you done for me lately...

I'm just debating here, but IMHO Big Ben's season is more a function of his off-season problems than any deficiencies he has as a player. The dude nearly had his face scraped off the road, then gave up his appendix the first week of the season. The fact he is standing in a pocket and taking hits at all this season surprises me. I'd also argue that he is going through the same hangover that ALL the Steelers are after the Super Bowl (Cowher included).

Does/did the defense help? Yes. Does/did the running game? Yes. But neither of those should completely dismiss his talent; it's not like Parker or the D are missing or all that changed this season. As a Louisville fan, I still have the scars of what his ability to pass did to my team's secondary in the 2004 GMAC Bowl.

A crushing D and relentless running game is a rookie QB's best friend... Ben had both those things in his 1st 2 seasons.

Take away those 2 things and you have Ben this season.

Young has a very subpar D allowing the most ypg in the league. Actually a pretty decent running game but Travis Henry is no Bettis/Parker. Nor does the Titans' front 5 even approach the Steelers' front 5.

Tennessee's defense has actuallly been pretty good lately.

Wow, I didn't expect a board full of "modernists" here. Did you guys have these same feelings when everyone was comparing Big Ben to Marino and Montana or is this just because of his first bad season in three as a starter? Talk about what have you done for me lately...

I'm just debating here, but IMHO Big Ben's season is more a function of his off-season problems than any deficiencies he has as a player. The dude nearly had his face scraped off the road, then gave up his appendix the first week of the season. The fact he is standing in a pocket and taking hits at all this season surprises me. I'd also argue that he is going through the same hangover that ALL the Steelers are after the Super Bowl (Cowher included).

Does/did the defense help? Yes. Does/did the running game? Yes. But neither of those should completely dismiss his talent; it's not like Parker or the D are missing or all that changed this season. As a Louisville fan, I still have the scars of what his ability to pass did to my team's secondary in the 2004 GMAC Bowl.

I hear ya but you went off on Roth like he's made as big of an impact as Young. The major difference between the two is Young has pretty much carried the Titans on his back and changed that team completely. Roth has never been capable of carrying the Steelers on his back. Most of his success occurs when he's managing the game, throwing between 20-25 times, the running game is clicking and the defense is dominating. When he's asked to do more, bad things happen to the Steelers.

I hear ya but you went off on Roth like he's made as big of an impact as Young. The major difference between the two is Young has pretty much carried the Titans on his back and changed that team completely. Roth has never been capable of carrying the Steelers on his back. Most of his success occurs when he's managing the game, throwing between 20-25 times, the running game is clicking and the defense is dominating. When he's asked to do more, bad things happen to the Steelers.

zactly