[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So who should be the face of the NFL?

FishFreak

I just mentioned Peyton hasn't won any big games and he's not exactly Mr. GQ. So why then has he been Mr. cover boy this year?

Exactly. You brought up that Manning hasn't won any big games, but then proceeded to list 4 players, 3 of whom also have not won any big games. You established the criteria, and I just pointed out that you completely ignored your own criteria in trying to provide alternate poster boys. Why does that bother you?

Chad's a good guy and it's sad that you assume he's a thug and think so highly of the NBA. I don't know his history or if he has a criminal record like some of his other Bengal teamates. I do know he has a vibrant personality, has a love for the game and is one of the NFL's best WR's. Plus Chad just makes everything fun.

What you call fun, I (and others) call denegration of a great sport and wonton disregard of the team aspect of what is most probably the most team-oriented of the major professional sports for nothing more than Johnson's massaging of his own massive ego.

He puts forth a thuggish "in-your-face" persona that is consistent with the persona that gang punks put forth (and what the NBA has actively marketed much to its own regret). You think it's cute & funny? That's cool - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It sickens me and detracts from what has become a great game, in my opinion.

Manning is putting up numbers that might make him the most prolific passer in NFL history in the future. That's worthy of marketing right now. LT is putting forth, with great class I might add, numbers that no RB in the history of the NFL has done. You want to put forth his persona as the face of the NFL? I have no problem with that, though I don't understand why it would supercede Manning's career accomplishments. You want to put forth a classless clown like Johnson whose greatest accomplishment in the league to date is the number of ways he's dropped trou publicly after scoring a TD that was thrown to him by another player? Yeah, I have a problem with that.

Edited by Bronco Billy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. You brought up that Manning hasn't won any big games, but then proceeded to list 4 players, 3 of whom also have not won any big games. You established the criteria, and I just pointed out that you completely ignored your own criteria in trying to provide alternate poster boys. Why does that bother you?

What you call fun, I (and others) call denegration of a great sport and wonton disregard of the team aspect of what is most probably the most team-oriented of the major professional sports for nothing more than Johnson's massaging of his own massive ego.

He puts forth a thuggish "in-your-face" persona that is consistent with the persona that gang punks put forth (and what the NBA has actively marketed much to its own regret). You think it's cute & funny? That's cool - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It sickens me and detracts from what has become a great game, in my opinion.

Manning is putting up numbers that might make him the most prolific passer in NFL history in the future. That's worthy of marketing right now. LT is putting forth, with great class I might add, numbers that no RB in the history of the NFL has done. You want to put forth his persona as the face of the NFL? I have no problem with that, though I don't understand why it would supercede Manning's career accomplishments. You want to put forth a classless clown like Johnson whose greatest accomplishment in the league to date is the number of ways he's dropped trou publicly after scoring a TD that was thrown to him by another player? Yeah, I have a problem with that.

Well I can't go back in time and take you back to what you would probably refer to as the "good ol' days". I also can't entertain this back and forth ranting of you nit picking at every little detail written on every post so you can turn it into a disagreement. It's also cheezy to reply to certain segments of someone's post to spin it in your favor. That's like when shady reporters take two sentences from a long interview to spin a story to their liking. When I typically encounter someone like yourself I kindly excuse myself and prefer to communicate with someone else more let's just say "open minded".

Well I can't go back in time and take you back to what you would probably refer to as the "good ol' days". I also can't entertain this back and forth ranting of you nit picking at every little detail written on every post so you can turn it into a disagreement. It's also cheezy to reply to certain segments of someone's post to spin it in your favor. That's like when shady reporters take two sentences from a long interview to spin a story to their liking. When I typically encounter someone like yourself I kindly excuse myself and prefer to communicate with someone else more let's just say "open minded".

:D

+ 1

Very well said.

I don't dislike Chad Johnson, but, will always prefer the 'class' players like LaDainian. Also, Peyton Manning will go down as the best QB to ever play in the NFL (in my opinion). I've seen nothing but class from him, and have no problem with him being the face of the NFL.

The obvious answer to the question in this post is.............Chris Gardocki

Edited by Menudo

It constantly changes of course - LT2 for now (although wouldn't we have said SA just 12 months ago as he set records, was eloquent about it, and had two ready lookalike standin's in the Barber brothers when needed)

but i think the NFL isn't the sort of league where 1 guy works (ala NBA or NHL). Part of it is the various positions - think you gotta have a QB at all times - and i'd take Brady voer manning, with McNabb (homer pick) being there as well. Romo's story (eerily similar to Brady's including both Bledsoe as the Wally Pipp character and Simpson as the ready and willing bimbo (brady had several)) sets him up to succeed Brady in a few years. And since WR do talk a lot, I'll take CJ's antics over TO's or Key's bs anyday.

Also need defense - Urlacher's a good choice. Another homer pick is BDawk, and the kid from Baltimore (Bart Scott) actually does a great job every time I see him anywwhere.

90% of all the Manning crap we see has nothing to do with the NFL itself. Those are endorsement commercials. The man has sold his soul as far as I am concerned.

Everyone watches the games at my house..... everyone wants the channel changed when Manning comes up in one of his ads. We are talking grandkids here. They hate him. And the sorry part is that his play in the NFL has nothing to do with their absolute dislike of him.

The 'face' of the NFL. If that person was selling only the NFL... and was to personify the NFL... I would think they would have to go with someone that is not a thorn in his teammates side, not a criminal... not about to become a criminal.... and doesn't carry a purse. You would have to have someone with class... community involvement.... someone like Tomlinson, maybe... but think I would go with the winner of the NFL Man of the Year award.

Seriously, now can the "face" of the NFL be dead? They're not asking about the face on the cover of the "History of the NFL"

But the Turducken would work. :D

Seriously. No one embodies the modern NFL "face" better than one of the premier coaches of all time. I believe there's even a trophy somewhere with his name on it. But I'm all for LT2, too.

Jerry West's silhouette is still the logo for the NBA isn't it? If we were suggesting a dance move I'd vote for the Icky Shuffle, though. :D

The 'face' of the NFL. If that person was selling only the NFL... and was to personify the NFL... I would think they would have to go with someone that is not a thorn in his teammates side, not a criminal... not about to become a criminal.... and doesn't carry a purse. You would have to have someone with class... community involvement.... someone like Tomlinson, maybe... but think I would go with the winner of the NFL Man of the Year award.

Okay, to pull a page from BB's book......so why does Manning not fit into any of these again? Is it just the lame acting you don't like or what? I actually like all his spots on TV :D "you know if you like 6 foot somethign QB's with a rocket arm" :D