[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Troy Smith Heisman winner 2006

sacosud

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto..._pat&id=2689611

87% percent of the Vote.

801 first place votes.

13 first place votes Brady Quinn thank god he chose ND...Thank You Brady.

Brady will however be the higher draft pick so he's done pretty well for himself, I just wonder what would have happened had he chose OSU....I guess it's true everything happens for a reason.

Congrats to Troy on a well deserved season and no matter what happens from here on out you forever will be the 2006 Heisman Trophy Winner.

****Espn Article is a long one**** just a warning.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amazing, I never knew Smith was found guilty of taking money from a booster. Guess now you see the difference between Tressel and OSU as compared to Stoops and OU. As many know, Tressell is such a joke, he did this crap at Youngstown state on a regular basis, always surrounded by controversy, then the Clarett saga while at OSU, and then Smith admitting to taking money from a booster, and then only being suspended 2 games, by OSU. What a joke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2692486

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

amazing, I never knew Smith was found guilty of taking money from a booster. Guess now you see the difference between Tressel and OSU as compared to Stoops and OU. As many know, Tressell is such a joke, he did this crap at Youngstown state on a regular basis, always surrounded by controversy, then the Clarett saga while at OSU, and then Smith admitting to taking money from a booster, and then only being suspended 2 games, by OSU. What a joke.

Yeah, $500 but he did miss a bowl game because of it. Doesn't change these impressive facts.

The first Ohio State quarterback in 70 years to lead the Buckeyes to three straight victories over Michigan, Smith had 1,051 total yards with three touchdown passes and another TD run against the Wolverines.

He's 11-1 as a starter against ranked opponents, with a chance to improve on that mark in the biggest game of his career in Arizona against Florida.

I'm sure Sarge believes in 'full disclosure'. :D

Violations under Stoops and Sampson recently. The difference I guess is that Stoops dismissed the players. Wonder what he would have done if it was Adrian Peterson :D

NCAA hopes to conclude Oklahoma investigation by Nov. 1

Oct. 13, 2006

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -The NCAA has officially begun an investigation into alleged violations by former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn that led to the players' dismissal from the Sooners' football team.

In a letter to university president David Boren released Friday by the university after an open records request by The Associated Press, NCAA director of enforcement Julie Roe informs Oklahoma of the investigation and tells the university it hopes to finish its work by Nov. 1.

"At this time, the possible violations primarily involve excessive earnings provided to student-athletes employed by a representative of the institution's athletics interests," Roe writes in the letter dated Sept. 20. "However, please note that new information is often developed during an investigation that leads to expanded inquiries."

The NCAA's Committee on Infractions would take over if the investigation results in a notice of allegations against Oklahoma.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has said the players were dismissed for "knowingly" breaking NCAA rules. The university has said the players "received extra compensation above that to which they were entitled related to their employment at a private business," and a subsequent report to the NCAA identified that business as Norman car dealership Big Red Sports and Imports.

Since the time of the violations, the dealership has changed ownership. Bomar has transferred to Sam Houston State and Quinn has transferred to Montana.

Oklahoma associate athletic director for communications Kenny Mossman said athletic director Joe Castiglione would not comment on the investigation.

Oklahoma appeared before the Committee on Infractions in April regarding an investigation into excessive recruiting calls made by the school's men's basketball team under former coach Kelvin Sampson.

In that case, the NCAA largely accepted Oklahoma's self-imposed sanctions, including probation, reductions in scholarships, recruiting calls and trips and visits to the school by prospective recruits. The committee also issued a public reprimand and censure.

Sampson, now the coach at Indiana, was banned from calling recruits and participating in off-campus recruiting activities for one year.

Infractions committee chairman Thomas Yeager said Sampson and his staff "deliberately disregarded NCAA rules" by making 577 impermissible phone calls from 2000 to 2004.

In the interest of fair play, there's a history there at Oklahoma.

Following an unfortunate series of events, on June 9, 1989, Barry Switzer resigned as Oklahoma's head coach amid player misconduct and allegations of recruiting violations, five players had been arrested on felony charges, and the NCAA placed the Sooners on probation, with penalties that included reduced scholarships and a postseason ban for '89 and '90.

Sampson is gone but it still happened at Oklahoma. The point being, this crap happens just about everywhere. F'n boosters not associated with the programs are hard to control. And 18-year old broke ass kids are easily persuaded.

In the interest of fair play, there's a history there at Oklahoma.

Sampson is gone but it still happened at Oklahoma. The point being, this crap happens just about everywhere. F'n boosters not associated with the programs are hard to control. And 18-year old broke ass kids are easily persuaded.

My point is the school did nothing but suspend him 2 games. That is pathetic. And I know sh*t happens everywhere, it just happened at OU, but Stoops and the school acted swiftly and didnt look back. Huge difference. Just taints accomplishments when they violate NCAA rules. Just like Bush should have had to give up his Heisman. Though seriously, did he deserve it in the first place. I think Vince Young proved in the bowl game, who the rightful owner of that award should have gone too. The Heisman is a popularity contest, and nothing more. Its not about numbers or winning. If that was the case, Jason White should have won back to back Heismans. he had better numbers than Leinart and both teams were undefeated at the time of the award. But Leinart was the most popular and got it.

Gotta agree with sarge on this one... Troy Smith woulda been off the team at almost any other team in the Big Ten.

You really think so. For $500? If it was so terrible wouldn't the overbearing NCAA have come down with bigger penalties. I have a hard time believing most schools would have kicked potentially the best player in the country off their team for that infraction.

My point is the school did nothing but suspend him 2 games. That is pathetic. And I know sh*t happens everywhere, it just happened at OU, but Stoops and the school acted swiftly and didnt look back. Huge difference.

Who are you kidding? Yourself?

If it would have been AP instead of Sampson, he'd still be playing. Don't be so hypocritical

Who are you kidding? Yourself?

If it would have been AP instead of Sampson, he'd still be playing. Don't be so hypocritical

You are mixing up the infractions. Sampson was the basketball coach until he moved to Indiana this year. But the point is the same. Stoops kicked the players off the team, but they were virtual nobody's. That's a whole lot different than sending the eventual Heisman trophy winner packing.

You are mixing up the infractions. Sampson was the basketball coach until he moved to Indiana this year. But the point is the same. Stoops kicked the players off the team, but they were virtual nobody's. That's a whole lot different than sending the eventual Heisman trophy winner packing.

I wouldn't call your starting QB a virtual nobody.

You really think so. For $500? If it was so terrible wouldn't the overbearing NCAA have come down with bigger penalties. I have a hard time believing most schools would have kicked potentially the best player in the country off their team for that infraction.

So the cashier at Wal-Mart can take $5 out of the register? I mean it's only $5 right? Wal Mart makes enough money? And oh look, the cashier gets caught, and gives the money back, everything is cool right? Sorry, I don't care if it's $500 or $5000. It's against the rules to take money from a booster. And yeah, if it was say, Toledo's QB, you can bet the NCAA woulda cracked down if he only got a 2 game suspension. But since it's Ohio State ( and not just Ohio State, look how they are ignoring the whole USC thing) they'll look the other way, cuz you know, he was "punished" and all. He missed a bowl game where they were heavily favored, and the opener of the 2005 season when they were playing podunk state. Yeah, real punishment.

He missed a bowl game where they were heavily favored, and the opener of the 2005 season when they were playing podunk state. Yeah, real punishment.

He also wasn't ready to start for against Texas and we had to go with Justin, Smith could have easily put up numbers to give us a win and another crack at a NC, so i think that was a severe punishment.

So the cashier at Wal-Mart can take $5 out of the register? I mean it's only $5 right? Wal Mart makes enough money? And oh look, the cashier gets caught, and gives the money back, everything is cool right? Sorry, I don't care if it's $500 or $5000. It's against the rules to take money from a booster. And yeah, if it was say, Toledo's QB, you can bet the NCAA woulda cracked down if he only got a 2 game suspension. But since it's Ohio State ( and not just Ohio State, look how they are ignoring the whole USC thing) they'll look the other way, cuz you know, he was "punished" and all. He missed a bowl game where they were heavily favored, and the opener of the 2005 season when they were playing podunk state. Yeah, real punishment.

Uh, I'm not defending the move, just trying to be realistic about the punishment. The clerk stole something from someone, Smith accepted a gift. One's against the laws of our country, one's against the rules of a governing body. So if all crimes are equal maybe the clerk should get life in prison. I don't care that it's $5 instead of capital murder, a law was broken and he/she deserves a harsh penalty. :D

LOL...stir the pot.

IN TRESS WE TRUST.

POOP WITH STOOPS 55-17 :D

My point is the school did nothing but suspend him 2 games. That is pathetic. And I know sh*t happens everywhere, it just happened at OU, but Stoops and the school acted swiftly and didnt look back. Huge difference. Just taints accomplishments when they violate NCAA rules. Just like Bush should have had to give up his Heisman. Though seriously, did he deserve it in the first place. I think Vince Young proved in the bowl game, who the rightful owner of that award should have gone too. The Heisman is a popularity contest, and nothing more. Its not about numbers or winning. If that was the case, Jason White should have won back to back Heismans. he had better numbers than Leinart and both teams were undefeated at the time of the award. But Leinart was the most popular and got it.

They got it right both times. Where is White today :D While Leinart is tearing apart opposing defenses. Today it was Seattle. In 2004 it was the Booners! :D