[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should Parcell be upset at pupil?

Rockerbraves

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked he's still considered a rookie coach which means he still has alot to learn about how the game is suppose to be played in the NFL much like Sabin last season. Hopefully Payton will teach his players to at least act like they have been there before instead of dumping gatorade on him in the 13th game of the NFL season. If I were Parcell given the same situation maybe he should start taking a knee in the middle of the 4th quarter.

That's Saban, not "Sabin."

Agreed that the Gatorade was unnecessary and borderline unprofessional.

But apparently Payton's doing a pretty good job showing his players how to win. He's getting a hell of a lot out of a defense that ranked 28th in the league in points allowed last season. And his offense is ranked first in the NFL.

Hey if they want me to I'll show mercy, but please don't show mercy or pity for my team. In other words don't give me that 25 foot putt on the 18th hole after kicking my ass all round. I'll be the one to pick up or not.

You're confusing "mercy" and "pity" with "respect." It's interesting that you don't know the difference, given how much playing and coaching experience you have. :D

I doubt Parcells or Payton are making a big deal out of the kneel down at the 3 minute mark. They're on to the next week and preparing for their next opponent. I'm sure Parcells is mainly miffed at his players and giving them an earful for getting thumped. Payton coached a heckuva game. I was really impressed at his play-calling and aggressiveness. I liked that "go-for-the-jugular" attitude with the on-side kick. The Saints vertical passing game was awesome and exposed weaknesses in the Dallas secondary.

The last 3 minutes were pretty boring, but no arguments there. Payton showed respect by not running up the score and played it safe. He could've just as easily had McCallister or Bush run it in from the redzone and still had no arguments from Parcells. The Saints ran the ball on every play on that last drive and the Cowboys still couldn't stop them. I think the defense was gassed and out-of-sync by then. It was clear that Parcells did indeed say "Good job" to Payton as they exchanged words after the game.

Maybe not everyone is as sore a loser as you. Obviously you're the only one here, or anywhere else for that matter, that thought the Cowboys should be offended. :D

Can't tell me a coach of Parcell's caliber is a good loser. If I had to bet he's a sore loser in anything he competes in. That's what makes the great ones great. Our old quarterback Brooks was a happy loser. I'm holding out hope that Payton is a sore loser too.

You're confusing "mercy" and "pity" with "respect." It's interesting that you don't know the difference, given how much playing and coaching experience you have. :D

Bill, did you hear Madden make his comment or not? That was instinctive as a former NFL coach. No one will make a big deal about it, but I am fairly confident Parcell thought the same as Madden when he saw him take a knee. I don't think Payton meant any disrespect, in fact I truly thought he thought was being respectful, but I have a feeling Madden reaction was similiar to how Parcell felt at the time it happened. Heck I felt it and I was rooting for the Saints.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Bill, did you hear Madden make his comment or not? That was instinctive as a former NFL coach. No one will make a big deal about it, but I am fairly confident Parcell thought the same as Madden when he saw him take a knee. I don't think Payton meant any disrespect, in fact I truly thought he thought was being respectful, but I have a feeling Madden reaction was similiar to how Parcell felt at the time it happened. Heck I felt it and I was rooting for the Saints.

I stopped watching at that time and don't really care what Madden's senile ass thinks. If it were me, I would've waited until the two-minute warning. I'd agree with you if Payton took a knee with 7 minutes left. But I really don't see anything wrong with taking a knee with 3 minutes left in a 25-point blowout. I'm pretty confident that Parcells doesn't, either. The game was over at that point.

Gunther you are a Cowboy fan so you tell us. Were you a little embarrassed that the Saints did that or were you relieved?

Oh, I was fully embarrassed before that kneel down occurred. While I do not specifically know, I feel that Payton did that out of respect and/or trying to avoid unnecessary injury. I was a bit surprised...and I'm sorry...after a beat down like that, sure I felt some relief. The Saints made a point and they did so brilliantly. What else was left to prove at that point in the game?

Was I surprised by the kneel down at that point? Yes.

Was I pissed? No.

I was watching Parcells' press conference a couple minutes ago but they cut away from it (NFL Network), but I would guess he wasn't ticked off about the Saints taking the knee either.

I stopped watching at that time and don't really care what Madden's senile ass thinks. If it were me, I would've waited until the two-minute warning. I'd agree with you if Payton took a knee with 7 minutes left. But I really don't see anything wrong with taking a knee with 3 minutes left in a 25-point blowout. I'm pretty confident that Parcells doesn't, either. The game was over at that point.

Enjoyed chatting and think we've come to a reasonable agreement that both of us would have waited till the 2 minute warning. Bear Bryant pulled his QB once because he tried to sneak one across in the last minute or two of a game after the team they were playing had played one heck of a game up to that point. Really can't see him pulling him if it would have happen with 3 minutes left in the game.

Maybe not everyone is as sore a loser as you. Obviously you're the only one here, or anywhere else for that matter, that thought the Cowboys should be offended. :D

Wow rajncajn you actually had me thinking I might be way off base on this issue. For what it's worth just heard Jim Rome on his show agree with me. He said taking a knee with that much time on the clock was humiliating to the Cowboys. That's all I was saying. :D

Wow rajncajn you actually had me thinking I might be way off base on this issue. For what it's worth just heard Jim Rome on his show agree with me. He said taking a knee with that much time on the clock was humiliating to the Cowboys. That's all I was saying. :D

You actually listen to that tool? Even worse, you think you're right because he said the same thing? :D

All I'm saying is Dallas had way more to be humiliated about than Saints kneeling down with 3 minutes left & trying to end the misery as quickly as possible.

It's suppose to be entertainment. Can't tell me the the last two minutes of both halves isn't noramlly the most entertaining.

It's SPORTS not entertainment if you want to watch SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT go watch RAW, it was a class move by Payton, let it be

You actually listen to that tool? Even worse, you think you're right because he said the same thing? :D

All I'm saying is Dallas had way more to be humiliated about than Saints kneeling down with 3 minutes left & trying to end the misery as quickly as possible.

Let's just say that if Jim Rome brings it up in his show's opening remarks on Monday there might just be more people who agree with me than what you thought. Like him or not, just thought I would throw that at you. As a Saint fan I was abit surprised you didn't think the same as me. We certainly don't need or can afford to do anything to humiliate a team we might see later this season. :D

Not really important here, but I was just curious as to why people are saying football is not entertainment. Are sporting events in general not meant to be a form of entertainment?

I think the distinction here is that while sports could be considered a form of entertainment, it is in no way the coach's jobs to entertain.

Agreed Madden used to be great but he has been senile for over 10 years now maybee 15. There was a time when he actually added something to a broadcast but that was a long time ago.

+1 Dallas had way more to be humiliated about!

The game was over! Why risk injuries to either team, there both Playoff condenders?