[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this fair?

Penguinsfan

As a commish, I would never allow a conditional starting line-up.

In our leagues infancy, I allowed an owner to enter an if/then line-up based on injuries. (This was 15 years ago, much before the up to the minute updates available today). He wanted to play one guy, unless he did not play, then he wanted to substitute. Well, I watched the game and clearly remember seeing the player in question on the filed, albeit briefly. Needless to say, player X does not score any points, so the owner wanted to change come Monday morning. Because he didn't score any points, it wasn't anywhere in the paper (that'll tell you how long ago it was) stating whether he played or not. Big arguement ensued, because naturally the replacement player went off for 120+ and 2 tds or something like that. Where am I going with this? Allowing an if/then line-up is a bad idea. It's a player wanting to find a loophole, and as a commish, it's your job to close all loopholes. If he wants a 0, he needs to replace SJax with another player likely to not score.

Wow. Sorry for the long post, but guys trying to beat the system tick me off!!

As a commish, I would never allow a conditional starting line-up.

In our leagues infancy, I allowed an owner to enter an if/then line-up based on injuries. (This was 15 years ago, much before the up to the minute updates available today). He wanted to play one guy, unless he did not play, then he wanted to substitute.

well, i think you can allow something like that if it's based on something clear cut, like being declared inactive. for example, someone's going to be out of town and away from the computer on sunday morning, they say i wanna start colston unless he's declared inactive, bruce if he is. since active rosters are sent in at least, what, half hour before the game or something...i think that kind of "conditional" lineup is perfectly acceptable. the big difference being that the "condition" is fulfilled (or not) BEFORE the start of all relevant games.

Have no issues with benching SJax, that is a perfectly acceptable strategic decision based on the fact that SJax could conceivably get negative points, however, a factor of that strategic decision making process is that in the NFL there are chances that there will be a statistic change at a later point (happens several times a year), so your owner has to factor that into his lineup decision making process before the games have been played, just like he would factor in any injury concern, weather, etc. that has a potential affect on a player's performance.

Your league obviously has rules in place that these statistic changes will be applied based on your original post, hopefully you have well written rules defining how far into the future you will apply statistic changes, particularly since they oftentimes can happen weeks after the fact. In my leagues that I run, statistic changes that come out before the first kickoff of the following week are applied, anything after that is not applied.

I'm beginning to wonder if Penguinsfan is actually the guy in question here, and he's just posed one of those "I have this friend..." scenarios in order to shield himself from the criticism.

I was wondering how long it would be before this came up...as it turns out I could only be so lucky...I happened to be playing for the other open playoff spot and ran into Brees/LT/Jones-Drew...bummer

Have no issues with benching SJax, that is a perfectly acceptable strategic decision based on the fact that SJax could conceivably get negative points, however, a factor of that strategic decision making process is that in the NFL there are chances that there will be a statistic change at a later point (happens several times a year), so your owner has to factor that into his lineup decision making process before the games have been played, just like he would factor in any injury concern, weather, etc. that has a potential affect on a player's performance.

Your league obviously has rules in place that these statistic changes will be applied based on your original post, hopefully you have well written rules defining how far into the future you will apply statistic changes, particularly since they oftentimes can happen weeks after the fact. In my leagues that I run, statistic changes that come out before the first kickoff of the following week are applied, anything after that is not applied.

I'm not sure when the statistical changes go into effect, it's usually done automatically via Yahoo! scoring system and it's never decided a game retroactively.

As it turns out, though, I made a decision and told him that whatever his lineup is at kickoff tonight is the one that will count forever, regardless of any post-game changes. Looks like he's gonna sit SJax and take his chances.

Thanks for the opinions

Cheers

I have a rule in place in 2 leagues i commish that allows an owner to take a zero from a player, instead of mandating them start someone and possibly end up with negative points.

However, there is no way i'd allow anyone this type of request. If-ands and buts don't cut it.

Either he plays him or he doesn't, no other option should be available.

Interesting dilema, and one that happened in our league last week:

An owner had already won his head-to-head heading into Monday Night, and still had Delhomme yet to play.

he was up by 3 points, so rather than risk the unthinkable (2 INTs, which would result in -4 points), he benched Delhomme and started McNabb (his keeper, who obviously was on his bench).

He took the "zero" from McNabb, and walked away with the win.

I see nothing wrong with this.

However, any kind of condtional issues should not be allowed.