[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Importance of Bowl Games

Rockerbraves

2007 Rose Bowl does have NC ramifications. Yeah I know neither Michigan or USC will win this season's BCS NC, however the winner of this game will likely be favored to win it all next season. From what I'm hearing, many so called college football experts are now predicting the winner of this year's Rose Bowl to be next year's #1 ranked preseason team. You might say, so what? Well, all you have to do is ask any Oklahoma or Auburn fan just how important a team's preseason rank is in regard to playing for a BCS NC.

Ask a Sooner fan and he should tell you how his team's season long #1 ranking enabled his Sooners to play in the 2003 NC game despite losing the Big 12 Conference Championship game. Ask any Auburn fan and he should tell you just how hard it is to overcome a not so good preseason ranking. As evidence he'll remind you that his War Eagles went undefeated yet still missed out on playing in the 2004 BCS NC.

The point is that bowl games are no longer just a reward for a great season. They have now become an important part of determining team rankings going into next season. And as we all know, rank does have it's advantages. So don't think your team's bowl game doesn't matter unless you have really low expectations for next season.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Ask a Sooner fan and he should tell you how his team's season long #1 ranking enabled his Sooners to play in the 2003 NC game despite losing the Big 12 Conference Championship game.

I would imagine that depends on which Sooner fan you ask. I know one, for instance, who would remind you that OU deserves a spot in the NC game every season and that the losses to K-State and LSU are all part of some mob/CIA coverup right along with the instant replay-gate that happened in Oregon.

I would imagine that depends on which Sooner fan you ask. I know one, for instance, who would remind you that OU deserves a spot in the NC game every season and that the losses to K-State and LSU are all part of some mob/CIA coverup right along with the instant replay-gate that happened in Oregon.

:D

BTW, Hart and Henne are gone at Michigan after this year. I dont see them even winning the big 10, let alone make a run at a NC.

Next yr its SC, because they play no one as usual, unless a lowly Pac-10 school kicks their ass again, and probably FLA in the NC.

Come on Putang Boy, the ONLY teams that CAN beat the "machine" known as USC is the great teams from the PAC-10 Conference! It's been proven that no team from the Little-12 can :D 55-19 :D

:clap: PAC-10 = CONFERENCE OF CHAMPIONS :bash:

Come on Putang Boy, the ONLY teams that CAN beat the "machine" known as USC is the great teams from the PAC-10 Conference! It's been proven that no team from the Little-12 can :D 55-19 :D

:clap: PAC-10 = CONFERENCE OF CHAMPIONS :bash:

Texas just whipped their ass in last yrs NC game. Did you forget that, you stupid POS.

OU was unranked to start the 1999 season, and went 13-0 and won the NC. So that is far from a blanket statement.

Wasn't meant to be a blanket statement. This year the opening AP poll had Ohio State ranked #1, Florida #7 while Michigan wasn't even ranked in the top ten at #14. Very similiar to 2004 when Auburn had to overcome their early season ranking and fell short despite going undefeated.

Edited by Rockerbraves

BTW, Hart and Henne are gone at Michigan after this year. I dont see them even winning the big 10, let alone make a run at a NC.

Next yr its SC, because they play no one as usual, unless a lowly Pac-10 school kicks their ass again, and probably FLA in the NC.

I would like nothing more than to see both of these guys playing on Sunday next year. You have to admit that Michigan has done an admirable job of keeping there guys around for 4 years. I am not saying they will in this case, but I would not be suprised if they did stay. If they do go I agree with your statements.

I worry about Michigan losing defensive players, as well.

I wish AP would stay at Oklahoma. We got robbed when he got injured. Between him and Michael Bush...

Nothing worse than a last minute, come-from-behind ass whipping. They're just so humiliating.

being up 12 with less than 5 mins to go and you have the ball, and lose the game. That is embarassing.

especially when Sc was said to be the best college team of all time, and couldnt even win a home game vs a Big 12 school for the NC. Sorry, that was pathetic, and has to be one of the greatest collapses in NCAA Championship game history. Especially when Texas didnt even need an onside kick or force a turnover in the final 5 minutes. They simply drove the ball 69 yards on 8 plays, and 56 yards on 10 plays in that last 5 mins to win the game.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

being up 12 with less than 5 mins to go and you have the ball, and lose the game. That is embarassing.

especially when Sc was said to be the best college team of all time, and couldnt even win a home game vs a Big 12 school for the NC. Sorry, that was pathetic, and has to be one of the greatest collapses in NCAA Championship game history. Especially when Texas didnt even need an onside kick or force a turnover in the final 5 minutes. They simply drove the ball 69 yards on 8 plays, and 56 yards on 10 plays in that last 5 mins to win the game.

Yes, in the long and storied history of the BCS title game that goes back less than 10 years, that was likely the biggest collapse.

Can't really blame Sarge for thinking his team is the best in the land, since I'm totally convinced LSU although ranked #4 would beat any team in the nation on a neutral field. :D

How sweet will it be when Notre dame beats LSU in their backyard. :D

Bittersweet Sarge. If LSU loses to Notre Dame you won't hear me bragging about my Tigers for awhile. Especially since LSU should dominate this game considering LSU explosive passing attack will be facing a very suspect Irish pass defense. The best thing about the Sugar Bowl is the QB matchup between JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn. Should be fun to watch. My only concern at this point is that LSU players might have a difficult time getting up for this game after being so close to playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

How is the Sooner fan base embracing your undesirable matchup with Boise State? Talk about a no win game. At least we get a true Division 1 team. That's gonna really be hard to take should Boise win. :D

Bittersweet Sarge. If LSU loses to Notre Dame you won't hear me bragging about my Tigers for awhile. Especially since LSU should dominate this game considering LSU explosive passing attack will be facing a very suspect Irish pass defense. The best thing about the Sugar Bowl is the QB matchup between JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn. Should be fun to watch. My only concern at this point is that LSU players might have a difficult time getting up for this game after being so close to losing to Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

How is the Sooner fan base embracing your undesirable matchup with Boise State? Talk about a no win game. At least we get a true Division 1 team. That's gonna really be hard to take should Boise win. :D

fixed

fixed

Now come on Gonkis you and I both know LSU would have exposed the Wolverines as an over rated Big Ten team if given the chance. Much like our SEC brothers will do to the Buckeyes. Worse thing about the missed Rose Bowl opportunity is that now the Trojans get the pleasure of exposing your team which could propel them in front of my Tigers in the final AP rankings. :D

Bittersweet Sarge. If LSU loses to Notre Dame you won't hear me bragging about my Tigers for awhile. Especially since LSU should dominate this game considering LSU explosive passing attack will be facing a very suspect Irish pass defense. The best thing about the Sugar Bowl is the QB matchup between JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn. Should be fun to watch. My only concern at this point is that LSU players might have a difficult time getting up for this game after being so close to playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

No doubt, Russell should have a career day vs the Irish. This is a very big game for Charlie Weis IMO. He needs this win to make a strong statement. Right now all he is, is a fat blob who has a lot of hype. That's it. He has done nothing in 2 years to strike any fear in anyone. The Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl this year have 3 teams that have a lot to prove. LSU needs to prove that their sh|t don't stink. All we hear is how LSU is the best team in the country not to be in the national championship game (besides Michigan), we hear that they are the greatest 2 loss team ever. Prove it. You get a chance to do it in front of the homefolk. It goes without saying how much Michigan has to prove. If they don't win, then their fans and sympathizers have no room to whine about anything. The team with everything to gain, and nothing to lose is USC. The SEC gets to prove that they are the greatest conference of all time by winning some bowl games. No less than 5-4 will be acceptable IMO. If you're that great, 5-4 should be a feasable goal. I might accept 4-5 if one of the 4 wins is Florida over Ohio State, but prove it. Prove that the SEC is so wonderfully great. They got some good draws to do it. The top 3 Big East teams all have pretty easy draws, they should win all 3, but if they lose, then the Big East Homers need to just shut up, because I still say the Big East isn't a BCS worthy conference. Prove me wrong.

The SEC gets to prove that they are the greatest conference of all time by winning some bowl games. No less than 5-4 will be acceptable IMO. If you're that great, 5-4 should be a feasable goal. I might accept 4-5 if one of the 4 wins is Florida over Ohio State, but prove it. Prove that the SEC is so wonderfully great. They got some good draws to do it. The top 3 Big East teams all have pretty easy draws, they should win all 3, but if they lose, then the Big East Homers need to just shut up, because I still say the Big East isn't a BCS worthy conference. Prove me wrong.

Think having 9 SEC teams in the bowl games pretty much says it all regardless of the outcomes. Don't forget SEC already is 3-0 going into the bowl games with the wins over other conference bowl teams in the last week of the season.

SEC Florida over Florida State / SEC Georgia over Georgia Tech / SEC South Carolina over Clemson :D

Think having 9 SEC teams in the bowl games pretty much says it all regardless of the outcomes. Don't forget SEC already is 3-0 going into the bowl games with the wins over other conference bowl teams in the last week of the season.

SEC Florida over Florida State / SEC Georgia over Georgia Tech / SEC South Carolina over Clemson :D

That all means nothing especially if they go 2-7. Mind you, as often happens, the lower tier SEC teams end up playing teams that are ranked higher in their conference. This year that seems to be the case with Georgia playing Va Tech (who's likely the best team in the ACC) and Kentucky playing Clemson (who's a team that was ranked as high as 10th and underachieved). That said, enough other SEC teams are playing games they have no business losing so anything short of 5-4 should be a disappointment.

Now come on Gonkis you and I both know LSU would have exposed the Wolverines as an over rated Big Ten team if given the chance. Much like our SEC brothers will do to the Buckeyes. Worse thing about the missed Rose Bowl opportunity is that now the Trojans get the pleasure of exposing your team which could propel them in front of my Tigers in the final AP rankings. :D

We'll never know if LSU could have "exposed" the Wolverines. I doubt it, but I'm a blind homer. We will, however, get a chance to see that USC is only fast and strong because the rest of the PAC-10 is extremely slow and weak. Michigan is going to roll over the Trojans.

Oh yeah, one more thing, that Buckeye team, as much as I despise the entire program, is going to embarass Florida so badly it will not even be enjoyable to watch unless your a part of Luckeye Nation.