[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If the Texans could pick again

Randall

Who would they pick?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. pick one

• Joseph Addai
    • M Jones Drew
    • L Maroney
    • Matt Leinart
    • Mario Williams
    • Vince Young
    • Reggie Bush
    • Other

Glad they didn't take Hawk. If they had, then they probably wouldnt have used the 2nd rounder on Ryans. Even though they were switching defenses from a 3-4 to a 4-3, I feel pretty sure they wouldn't have used both on a linebacker.

There is no way in hell they could have gotten a 1st for Carr. Probably at best a 3rd, and that is probably reaching.

But we are talking about what they might do with the pick if they knew then what they know now...and Hawk + Ryans in that LB corps for the next 6ish years would be a powerful duo. That's the only reason I mentioned it. Don't forget that Hawk is an OLB, and would have added similar things to the defense that Williams has added.

Football is won in the trenches, a good OL makes the QB and the RB better. Houston's problem has always been their OL.

1st rd QB's aren't that important, how many have been the key to winning the SB for the team that drafted them? Almost none in the past 20-25 years. If Warner, Dilfer, Brad Johnson, etc. can win SB's, you don't need VY or even Peyton Manning!

reggie bush. he would do a lot more for their offense than mario has done for their defense.

:D I disagree.

Houston doesn't have the talent (supporting cast) on board that New Orleans does. In Houston he would have been more of a runner facing 8 or 9 men in the box. Bush has demonstrated dangerousness when he gets the ball in the open.

Taking Bush would not have helped Houston.

RB is the last piece to the puzzle not the first.

riiiight. 'cause, i mean, look how good the chargers were when they got LT. look how good the cowboys were already when they got emmitt. how good the lions were when they got barry. hell, look how good the SAINTS were before they got bush -- a lot of other factors there (brees being the biggest), but bush is definitely one major reason why the saints offense went from total garbage to one of the best in the league.

riiiight. 'cause, i mean, look how good the chargers were when they got LT. look how good the cowboys were already when they got emmitt. how good the lions were when they got barry. hell, look how good the SAINTS were before they got bush -- a lot of other factors there (brees being the biggest), but bush is definitely one major reason why the saints offense went from total garbage to one of the best in the league.

SD since LT

2001: 5-11

2002: 8-8

2003: 4-12

2004: 12-4 ... GATES becomes a factor

2005: 9-7

2006: 11-2

The Lions :rolf: ... you are trying to use them as an example of a good team ... :D

The Saints are better for a bunch of reasons ... new much better coach, finally have a real QB, Colston and for at least the first part of the year they were on an emotional upswing. Bush is just but a piece that makes them better.

The Lions :rolf: ... you are trying to use them as an example of a good team ... :D

no, didn't say that. but they were a whole lot better WITH barry than without him.

are YOU trying to say the lions would have been better off passing on barry and taking broderick thomas? or that the chargers would've been better off taking gerard warren instead of LT? ya know, since "running back is the LAST piece, not the first"? by that logic i guess NO RB should ever go early in the first round, because all the teams picking there are bad.

no, didn't say that. but they were a whole lot better WITH barry than without him.

are YOU trying to say the lions would have been better off passing on barry and taking broderick thomas? or that the chargers would've been better off taking gerard warren instead of LT? ya know, since "running back is the LAST piece, not the first"? by that logic i guess NO RB should ever go early in the first round, because all the teams picking there are bad.

Since the Lions went absolutely no where with Barry I'd say having him on the team was largely irrelevant.

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that Mario Williams could be an important piece of the Texans Franchise for a long time to come?

The fact is that they need a heck of a lot more than one player to become a success. And maybe they thought that RB wasn't the piece that they needed now :D

Only time will tell if they are right.

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that Mario Williams could be an important piece of the Texans Franchise for a long time to come?

The fact is that they need a heck of a lot more than one player to become a success. And maybe they thought that RB wasn't the piece that they needed now :D

Only time will tell if they are right.

well, put it this way. last year, the titans weren't any better than the texans. where are those two teams now? (we won't even mention the saints) i'm sure mario will be a fine defensive end. but there's not a defensive end in the game who can change the entire direction of a franchise the way it appears vince young has. it just seems to me that if you've got the #1 pick, you have to think a little bigger than DE, at least when there are players like bush and young on the board.

The Texans need everything and you can't get it in one pick. They decided to build their defense with their first two picks so let's see what happens down the line with Ryans and Williams. The also have invested time and money into Carr so drafting Young was unlikely. This is why the Texans are bottom feeders, bad free agent signings and bad draft picks.

well, put it this way. last year, the titans weren't any better than the texans. where are those two teams now? (we won't even mention the saints) i'm sure mario will be a fine defensive end. but there's not a defensive end in the game who can change the entire direction of a franchise the way it appears vince young has. it just seems to me that if you've got the #1 pick, you have to think a little bigger than DE, at least when there are players like bush and young on the board.

Other than getting lucky with Tom Brady, the 2 things that took the Pats to elite status were getting a top notch coach and drafting linemen with top picks. Many still argue that Brady was mostly a passenger for the Pats first SB victory.

Up until Maroney, all NEs first round picks save 1 (Katzenmoyer...and too bad on his injury...good looking player) have been linemen/te types since 1999, and you don't hear too may people criticizing their front office.

Also, let's not forget that Mario williams was pretty much universally considered by scouts to be worthy of the #2 pick. Nobody figured Young should go first. If Bush went #1 and Williams went #2, would we be having this discussion? No, and the Texans would still suck.

I think you need to give the current staff a couple of seasons to see what they put together in Houston. If they still are crap, then everyone can jump on the bandwagon. It's too early to tell.

They should have taken Young and traded Carr for a 07 2nd round pick , and drafted the following players.

1.1 QB Vince Young

2.1 LB DeMeco Ryans

3.1 RB Jerious Norwood

3.2 LB Abdul Hodge

4.1 TE Owen Daniels

6.1 S Antoine Bethea

7.43 - WR Marques Colston the pick before New Orleans took him.

Other than getting lucky with Tom Brady, the 2 things that took the Pats to elite status were getting a top notch coach and drafting linemen with top picks. Many still argue that Brady was mostly a passenger for the Pats first SB victory.

Up until Maroney, all NEs first round picks save 1 (Katzenmoyer...and too bad on his injury...good looking player) have been linemen/te types since 1999, and you don't hear too may people criticizing their front office.

Also, let's not forget that Mario williams was pretty much universally considered by scouts to be worthy of the #2 pick. Nobody figured Young should go first. If Bush went #1 and Williams went #2, would we be having this discussion? No, and the Texans would still suck.

I think you need to give the current staff a couple of seasons to see what they put together in Houston. If they still are crap, then everyone can jump on the bandwagon. It's too early to tell.

I agree with this, and mostly with Grits. I'd like to see how HOU drafts without Casserly there now.

I agree with Grits that the RB is the last piece of the puzzle, since they appear to contribute more quickly than any other offensive position. I can see a QB being one of HOU's top 2 picks in 2007, and then a RB in 2008 if the FA doesn't pan out a RB in 2007. In 2008, MWilliams should be at the top of his game, the QB will be entering his 2nd year, and RB will be hitting the ground running.

In the meantime, high draft picks will also be used for OL in 2007 and 2008.

Just my .02. What do I know?