[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do the Texans need to silence their critics?

Ziachild007

What is most important for the Texans braintrust to get past their draft "mistake"  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is gonna fix everything?

• Have a winning season
    • Make the playoffs
    • Win a Super Bowl
    • Have Mario Williams have a great statistical year.
    • Have Vince Young's level of play taper off
    • Have Reggie Bush's level of play taper off
    • All of the above

I was just thinking about this today and started wondering, what will have to happen for people to not consider one of the biggest draft mistakes ever. I mean if the have a good free agency and draft next year and turn things around a la the Saints of 06, will all be forgiven. Will they have to make it to the playoffs? Or does it come down to more of Mario vs Bush/Young? What do you think?

Doesn't matter what they do this year. The Green Bay Packers won a couple of titles after drafting Mandarich over Barry Sanders and that comes up over and over again.

Edit: I didn't realize this was a poll and based my answer on your post (assuming that you thought it already was a hugh draft mistake). Obviously if Williams has a great career it won't be a big deal. If not and Bush does, the Texans will be made fun of regardless how well they do as a team.

Edited by Puddy

If in 2-3 seasons Mario Williams looks like Jason Taylor on the field, people will forget about not drafting Bush.

If Kubiak turns the team into a successful franchis, people will forget about not drafting Bush.

If the Texans draft Adrian Peterson this season and he becomes a top NFL back, people will forget about not drafting Bush.

If nothing good happens with the Texans and they continue to suck, people will never forget.

Doesn't matter what they do this year. The Green Bay Packers won a couple of titles after drafting Mandarich over Barry Sanders and that comes up over and over again.

Edit: I didn't realize this was a poll and based my answer on your post (assuming that you thought it already was a hugh draft mistake). Obviously if Williams has a great career it won't be a big deal. If not and Bush does, the Texans will be made fun of regardless how well they do as a team.

Like Same Bowie over Michael Jordan.

hahaha

They also passed on Derrick Thomas and Deion. :D Unfortunately Bush didn't gain his speed and moves from steroids.

Winning cures just about everything.

Mario Williams having a good-to-great career wouldn't hurt the whole Reggie Bush thing either. I recall some people moaning about Green Bay choosing Vonnie Holliday over Randy Moss, but you can't play "if I knew then what I know now" with the draft, really - you have to look at what everyone knew at that point in time, and decide whether or not the error was preventable.

it's more dependent on bush/young than it is on the texans themselves. unless those two falter and/or mario elevates his game to julius peppers territory, a lot of people will look at that pick and shake their heads. whether houston starts winning or not doesn't have as much to do with it, it's more a function of the players themselves. of course it also doesn't help the texans' case that they're starting ron dayne at RB and carr isn't having a great year.

There are lots of ways this could end up being viewed (at worst) as a push...

A not-too-unreasonable outcome that would silence some of the "hey, you should have taken either Bush or Young" critics would be if Mario Williams was a fixture on the HOU line for at least 6-8 healthy years, going to the pro bowl at least 2-3 times ... and HOU made the playoffs at least 3-4 of those 6-8 years.

Frankly, that's what I see his career as being ... if he resigns and retires a Texan after 10-12 seasons, half or more of which are pro-bowl years ... it'd be real hard to call it a poorly made choice, no matter how well Bush or Young do.

if we (texans) can just turn it around a little bit, have a solid draft, pick up a real weapon or two in the draft. i wish mcfadden could come out so we could draft him lol. but then we need to really turn it around next year. once we start winning (or if we do :D) then all will be forgotten!

praise be kubiak!

if we (texans) can just turn it around a little bit, have a solid draft, pick up a real weapon or two in the draft. i wish mcfadden could come out so we could draft him lol. but then we need to really turn it around next year. once we start winning (or if we do :D) then all will be forgotten!

praise be kubiak!

You would rather have McFadden than Peterson??

Mario Williams needs to develop as advertised: lead the leagues in sacks, and become that "disruptive" DE in the molds of Peppers, Taylor, Kearse(when healthy) AND string a few playoff seasons together.

Problem is, they need to re-do their offense: Carr appears to need a change of scenery, and they need to get that Kubiak system working, because right now they have Andre Johnson, one of the best players in the league in terms of talent and poise.