[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To all those complaining about the game announcers

Randall

Anyone remember the game years ago where there were no announcers?

There were no announcements about it that I heard. I just turned it on and there was the game with no announcers of any kind. You could hear the crowd, the officials and the game but noone was in the booth. It was weird.

There were no announcements about it that I heard. I just turned it on and there was the game with no announcers of any kind. You could hear the crowd, the officials and the game but noone was in the booth. It was weird.

Nope, you must be a pretty old guy Randall.

the good old days - tv for picture radio for sound

My earliest memories of watching football are from 1980ish. I recall announcers. Are you just referring to this one particular game?

This one game was (I think) the last game of the season, had no playoff implications, and NBC did the "no announcers" thing as an experiment.

Jest and Dolphins on NBC in 1980

Yep, Jets v. Dolphins in the Orange Bowl late in the season. It was an experiment to do the game without announcers. They played the game and just flashed stats and game notes, NOT ONE single word was spoken.

I remember the game and honestly, it was boring.

I remember that game. I think I recall one Dolphin WR dropping a pass. He jumped up a yelled "sh*t!" Or was it "f*ck!" You could hear it plain as day.

In any event, I found it amusing.

I have a few problems with today's NFL announcers:

1) They speak way too much. Most of them appear to believe that you must fill every second of the broadcast with commentary.

2) Much of what they say is blather or useless filler.

3) Many of them do not speak very well.

Must be a pretty sad pool of wanna-be NFL announcers.

I have a few problems with today's NFL announcers:

1) They speak way too much. Most of them appear to believe that you must fill every second of the broadcast with commentary.

2) Much of what they say is blather or useless filler.

3) Many of them do not speak very well.

Must be a pretty sad pool of wanna-be NFL announcers.

Cosell's fears of the jock-ocracy taking over were sadly accurate.