[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2007 Recruiting Rankings

Rockerbraves

It's still early but here are Rivals.com 2007 Top Ten Rankings.

Looks like Texas is kicking some butt down in Austin. :D

Commits

Commits

Commits Avg Stars

1 Texas 23 4 13 5 3.78 2,717

2 LSU 19 0 12 6 3.58 1,797

3 Georgia 24 0 10 14 3.42 1,748

4 Florida 20 1 8 10 3.45 1,730

5 Tennessee 22 2 5 13 3.32 1,728

6 Southern Cal 11 3 7 1 4.18 1,593

7 Notre Dame 14 1 9 4 3.79 1,544

8 Michigan 19 1 6 10 3.32 1,514

9 Auburn 20 0 7 11 3.25 1,479

10 Nebraska 20 0 6 12 3.20 1,326

Edited by Rockerbraves

as usual for the Horns. seems Vince Young in his Sr. year was the one player Mack got that put him from just great recruiting but not a big game coach, to winning the big game. I'll be curious to see in the next few years when McCoy is older, etc, whether or not it was VY or whether or not Mack got over the hump himself. 5 SEC teams =O

mr. february ring a bell? i like mack, i just am curious if he can do it w/o someone like VY.

Edited by Akfatha

I mean really, the amount of nfl talent that has come from texas, and mack only has 1 conference championship on his resume speaks volumes. Im sure he's a very nice guy, and has a certain way about him that kids are drawn too, but 1 conference championship? I'm not even talking national titles here, im saying conference championships. On the opposite end of that, you have Bob Stoops, who has owned Mack Brown overall in the rivalry, doens't have the luxury of all the nfl talent (although Oklahoma has had its share, but not nearly as many as Texas) and continues to win. Again, speaks volumes.

I mean really, the amount of nfl talent that has come from texas, and mack only has 1 conference championship on his resume speaks volumes. Im sure he's a very nice guy, and has a certain way about him that kids are drawn too, but 1 conference championship? I'm not even talking national titles here, im saying conference championships. On the opposite end of that, you have Bob Stoops, who has owned Mack Brown overall in the rivalry, doens't have the luxury of all the nfl talent (although Oklahoma has had its share, but not nearly as many as Texas) and continues to win. Again, speaks volumes.

There are currently 32 former OU players on NFL rosters, and 30 former Texas players on NFL rosters. Stoops is 5-3 vs Mack, a winning % of 62.5%, if that is your definition of owning, then I guess there are a whole sh*t load of teams that "own" Iowa.

Most people would agree that Stoops is a better game day coach than Brown, but you really should make some effort to keep just a tad of reality on your posts.

Commits

Commits

Commits Avg Stars

A few things that stand out.

Nice to see my Vols ranked 5th in the country but 4th in the SEC! I'd better get used to 9-3.

While it doesn't appear that USC has the quantity of recruits at this point, they sure make up for it by having far and away the highest avg stars.

There are currently 32 former OU players on NFL rosters, and 30 former Texas players on NFL rosters. Stoops is 5-3 vs Mack, a winning % of 62.5%, if that is your definition of owning, then I guess there are a whole sh*t load of teams that "own" Iowa.

Most people would agree that Stoops is a better game day coach than Brown, but you really should make some effort to keep just a tad of reality on your posts.

Few outside of Texas and OU remember Mack won the 1st game of the rivalry, in Stoops first year. The fact Texas was ranked higher than OU, or favored, in 4 of the 5 OU wins, and a significant favorite in the 3 loses. Id say that is owning Mack. And if you were on this side of the argument, you would say the same thing. For Derrick Johnson, Cedric Benson and Chris Simms to go o-fer Oklahoma was simply terrible coaching, and not just gameday, but player development as well. Johnson was a freak his freshman year, as was Roy Williams. Throw in a complete stud RB like Cedric Benson as a freshman, and other than grow and get reps did any of them actually improve from where they started.

Look at OU's S Roy Williams, he was an afterthought at OU, same with Jamal Brown who was a DT, switched to OL. Clayton was not one of the most heralded recruits, and all 3 became 1st roundd picks. QB Jason white blew out 2 knees and still won the heisman and beat Texas every year. The raw talent and where they finished was amazing when you look at the two programs. Think if Stoops coached at Texas, or got the consistent recruits mack gets, to start with. No one would be talking about Pete Carroll as the best coach in college football, that much is for sure.

What brian should have said is, Texas year in, year out has more decorated recruiting classes than OU, but OU players actuallyimprove while being in the program. Which is why there are more Sooners in the NFL than Longhorns.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

as usual for the Horns. seems Vince Young in his Sr. year was the one player Mack got that put him from just great recruiting but not a big game coach, to winning the big game. I'll be curious to see in the next few years when McCoy is older, etc, whether or not it was VY or whether or not Mack got over the hump himself. 5 SEC teams =O

mr. february ring a bell? i like mack, i just am curious if he can do it w/o someone like VY.

Vince Young won despite having Mack as his coach, not because of him.

Mack reminds me a lot of Jimmy Johnson when he was coaching Dallas. He has a great eye for tallent, but not that great of a coach. They both relyed heavily on thier assistants on game day. I wouldn't say that VY won despite Mack, but it could be said that VY won despite Greg Davis. I don't know if Greg Davis has some incriminating pictures of Mack or what, but he seems to have stuck around a lot longer than he should have.

Nice to see my Vols ranked 5th in the country but 4th in the SEC! I'd better get used to 9-3.

While it doesn't appear that USC has the quantity of recruits at this point, they sure make up for it by having far and away the highest avg stars.

Yep, as a USC fan I take some solace in those average stars. I watched the HS football state championships this weekend, and I think I saw our next QB - Aaron Corp. (I don't mean I'm unsure of seeing him - it was him. I mean I think he can be a starter within 1-2 years.) Kid looked great running and throwing, and will give Sanchez some tough competition.

Looks like the SEC will be really tough in the next few years, although that's nothing new.....

Edited by Coffeeman

Not a Mack apologist, but these days any coach either needs a guy like that, several players nearly that good, a pretty freaky stretch of luck, or some combination of those things to win the NC.

Simple fact is, he did it. His team went out and beat an insanely talented USC team for the title and that should count for something to any reasonable person. If he was the complete moron that some paint him out to be, that couldn't have happened.

With the exception of Texas based off the points awarded each team in the ranking, you can pretty much group the rest of the top ten together. Longhorns recruiting class though is apparently heads and tails above the rest.

Commits

Commits

Commits Avg Stars

Where's Da Ohio State University? 11th?

Go Blue.

Not a Mack apologist, but these days any coach either needs a guy like that, several players nearly that good, a pretty freaky stretch of luck, or some combination of those things to win the NC.

Simple fact is, he did it. His team went out and beat an insanely talented USC team for the title and that should count for something to any reasonable person. If he was the complete moron that some paint him out to be, that couldn't have happened.

12-7 :D:D:bash::clap: