[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prime Rib

chiefjay

I'm thinking of doing a Prime Rib for Christmas Eve dinner for my wife's family. Prime Rib is right up there as one of my favorite meals but I've never cooked one before.

Should I attempt it and if so could the chef's in the house give me some tips on how to cook it and any other tidbits in regards to buying it, etc...

Should I just go buy one of those Ronco Rottiserires (sp?) :D

Come on Bier / Detlef / others, hook a bruther up.

TIA

Of course you should.

Some things to think about. To begin with, forget the charts that tell you how long to roast based on the size of the roast. Too many variables. Buy a good instant read thermo and check for yourself.

I've got to think you can find a good butcher in your parts to buy a standing rib roast. Rub it with whatever spice mix suits you. For x-mas, something traditional would seem right (pepper, thyme, crushed fennel, lots of salt and some olive oil) Let sit at leas 1 hour or up to a day. Make sure you let roast sit at room temp for an hour before roasting.

I believe you should start the oven high and then reduce for even roasting. Put roast rib side down in roasting pan and place it in 450 oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and let it go for about 45 min for a 3 bone roast, 1 hour for a 5 bone. At that point check the temp in the absolute center of the roast. You're looking for 115 if you want it rare in the middle, 120-125 if you want it med-rare. Check every 15 minutes after the first check until you're there.

Very important. Make sure you allow it to rest at least 15 minutes but preferably 30 minutes before first slicing the roast off the bone (tilt roast onto the rounded side with the bones sticking straight up and work the knife down against the bone) and then slicing.

Of course, the ribs themselves make some pretty good Dec 26 eating. Avoid giving dogs roasted rib bones, they're quite brittle and can splinter leading to a trip to the doggy emergency room.

Of course you should.

Some things to think about. To begin with, forget the charts that tell you how long to roast based on the size of the roast. Too many variables. Buy a good instant read thermo and check for yourself.

I've got to think you can find a good butcher in your parts to buy a standing rib roast. Rub it with whatever spice mix suits you. For x-mas, something traditional would seem right (pepper, thyme, crushed fennel, lots of salt and some olive oil) Let sit at leas 1 hour or up to a day. Make sure you let roast sit at room temp for an hour before roasting.

I believe you should start the oven high and then reduce for even roasting. Put roast rib side down in roasting pan and place it in 450 oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and let it go for about 45 min for a 3 bone roast, 1 hour for a 5 bone. At that point check the temp in the absolute center of the roast. You're looking for 115 if you want it rare in the middle, 120-125 if you want it med-rare. Check every 15 minutes after the first check until you're there.

Very important. Make sure you allow it to rest at least 15 minutes but preferably 30 minutes before first slicing the roast off the bone (tilt roast onto the rounded side with the bones sticking straight up and work the knife down against the bone) and then slicing.

Of course, the ribs themselves make some pretty good Dec 26 eating. Avoid giving dogs roasted rib bones, they're quite brittle and can splinter leading to a trip to the doggy emergency room.

Thanks Detlef. So a Standing Rib Roast is Prime Rib?

Thanks Detlef. So a Standing Rib Roast is Prime Rib?

Yes

Another thing to think about if you have a good butcher.

A full rib roast contains 7 ribs and weighs about 16 lbs. Pretty damned big and may not fit in some ovens. If you don't want that much, you may have some say as to which side you get. The "Small end" often referred to as ribs 10-12 (because the rib roast is actually ribs 6-12 of the entire rib cage) that is the leaner end of the roast right next to the expensive short loin. The other end, 6-9 has bigger chunks of fat. To each their own.

I'm making a standing rib roast too.

Maybe it's just me, but these things are a piece of cake to make and work well for parties of 10-12.

Would you agree with Detlef's assessment in his first post on how to cook it or do you do anything differently. I know he's the chef and all but looking for another opinion. How about the rub / seasoning you use? 10-12 people is perfect for my party Sunday.

Would you agree with Detlef's assessment in his first post on how to cook it or do you do anything differently. I know he's the chef and all but looking for another opinion. How about the rub / seasoning you use? 10-12 people is perfect for my party Sunday.

Completely agree. The rub is right on and I'll probably do a madeira sauce to accompany the meat.

madeira sauce

Tell me more. I love the juice from the Prime Rib. I love it on my taters or dipping my bread / roll in that juice.

Do you guys suggest med rare? I know it depends on the person so maybe I should shoot for medium.

det and i pretty much use the same method. rub i use includes- thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, breadcrumbs.

i oil, salt and pepper the roast before applying the rub. i go at 425 for 15-30 min, then drop the temp to 275..... total time is about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. i just go a little longer than det but pull it out when the middle is about 112..... rest it before slicing..

these are easy..... just monitor your temp and you'll be fine.

edit: go for mid-rare. that will be you middle cuts. closer to the end will get it more well for you.

Edited by Bier Meister

Damn, I want it now. It's been a while.

One more thing: The teacher at my daughters preschool told my wife that where we cut the cut of rib doesn't matter for some reason? Do you guys agree or should I look for a good butcher?

Edited by chiefjay

Made these the last couple of years .. not doing one this year :D

One little tasty bit that I picked up, I believe from Food Network, was to cut small pockets into the roast and place cloves of garlic into the pockets. THen apply the rub as the others have mentioned. I used a garlic, rosemary, thyme, pepper, salt and olive oil rub.

Cooking method essentially the same as the others... start high (have your roasting pan in the oven as it warms up, that way you get a bit of a sear to lock in those tasty flavors.... then cut the temp and slow roast your way into a tasty food coma.

Pair with mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables (or both) and whtever other sides you want and enjoy

Tell me more. I love the juice from the Prime Rib. I love it on my taters or dipping my bread / roll in that juice.

Do you guys suggest med rare? I know it depends on the person so maybe I should shoot for medium.

I may also go with a cognac sauce, still tossing it up.

I love preparing Prime Rib and do it every Christmas. It's a lot easier than you would expect, as my in-laws think mine is the best and it's nothing special.

I also cook it at high temperature (500 preheated oven) for 20 minutes and then reduce to 325 and cook until the middle is 130 degrees or so. I cook it in a large, black roasting pan with the top on. Based on Meister's comments below, I'm gonna pull it earlier this year. The recipe I had said a 10-lb should cook 75 minutes or so after the temperature is reduced. It's always taken 2+ hours to accomplish this.

Definitely pull the beast at medium-rare. The extra 10 degrees or so I see after I pull it gives meat cooked exactly how anyone would want it, medium-rare to medium. If someone wants it well done, cook them a hamburger. Even when rested for 30 minutes, it's still hot as hell inside.

I get it out of the fridge at least an hour before cooking and rub a micture on it that contains fresh, minced garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme on the fatty side. The bone remains under it while it's cooking.

Good luck. What should I bring? :D

Mixture

15 cloves fresh minced garlic

2 T olive oil

2 t salt

2 t ground black pepper

2 t dried thyme

Thanks to this forum, I only use fresh ground pepper and sea salt now.

Made these the last couple of years .. not doing one this year :D

One little tasty bit that I picked up, I believe from Food Network, was to cut small pockets into the roast and place cloves of garlic into the pockets. THen apply the rub as the others have mentioned. I used a garlic, rosemary, thyme, pepper, salt and olive oil rub.

Cooking method essentially the same as the others... start high (have your roasting pan in the oven as it warms up, that way you get a bit of a sear to lock in those tasty flavors.... then cut the temp and slow roast your way into a tasty food coma.

Pair with mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables (or both) and whtever other sides you want and enjoy

I use a similar mixture, but without rosemary. What does rosemary that do?

det and i pretty much use the same method. rub i use includes- thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, breadcrumbs.

i oil, salt and pepper the roast before applying the rub. i go at 425 for 15-30 min, then drop the temp to 275..... total time is about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. i just go a little longer than det but pull it out when the middle is about 112..... rest it before slicing..

these are easy..... just monitor your temp and you'll be fine.

edit: go for mid-rare. that will be you middle cuts. closer to the end will get it more well for you.

My rub is basically the same with the exception of some Peccorino Romano that I add to it... :drool:

I use a similar mixture, but without rosemary. What does rosemary that do?

Just an added flavor that I have always liked.... very easy to keep out and not lose anything.

One thing I have done is t osteep fresh rosemary in the olive oli for a while so it imparts its flavor into the oil that I use in the rub, rather than put actually rosemary ino the rub....

Edited by Big Country

ok, i see Gonkis's mixture now so I'll basically go by that.

What about the Au Jus sauce / juice? What do you guys recommend? I think Twiley mentioned Cogmac sauce but I'm not sure what that is, do I just buy that?