[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prime Rib

chiefjay

ok, i see Gonkis's mixture now so I'll basically go by that.

What about the Au Jus sauce / juice? What do you guys recommend? I think Twiley mentioned Cogmac sauce but I'm not sure what that is, do I just buy that?

you'll have to make it...here you go...

I just happen to be rubbing my meat right now as well. I'm on my 2nd glass of wine though.

Cognac sauce:

3/4 cup finely diced shallots

1/2 cup cognac or brandy

1 cup beef stock

2 Tbs. veal demi-glace

2 Tbs. unsalted butter

Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat from the pan and set the pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the cognac and cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits. Stir in the stock and demi-glace. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by one-third, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the butter and season with salt and pepper. Strain the sauce into a sauceboat.

Au jus is just the drippings and beef broth. I think.

yeah... strain off fat..... i pour the juice into a pot, add 2 chopped carrots, 3 chopped stalks of celery, 1 chopped onion, thyme....... and simmer for 45 min to and hour... then strain it through a chinoise.

for the rub, i use about 2-3 tbs of everything, use about 1/2- 1 C bread crumbs.

Well Chief........Hero or Zero in the kitchen......how'd it go..... :bash:

:D or is that tonight..........no clue what day it is anymore........Good-luck :D

It turned out pretty well. I probably left it in a hair too long. For some reason I was trusing the termometers readings on where they felt med rare, medium was on the temp scale instead of following the huddle directions on when to pull it, at what temp. Still was a good piece of meat. 15 minutes earlier and it probably would've been heaven.

Next time I'll handle the juice / sauce piece better, still pretty good though.

Thanks to everyone. I'm about to have some leftovers right now, probably a nice sandwich.

It turned out pretty well. I probably left it in a hair too long. For some reason I was trusing the termometers readings on where they felt med rare, medium was on the temp scale instead of following the huddle directions on when to pull it, at what temp. Still was a good piece of meat. 15 minutes earlier and it probably would've been heaven.

Next time I'll handle the juice / sauce piece better, still pretty good though.

Thanks to everyone. I'm about to have some leftovers right now, probably a nice sandwich.

I fought that Prime Rib battle a few years ago with the same result and a big fuggin mess :D My hats off to the Chefs that pull this off on a Daily basis...... :D

Went to a friends place last night for dinner and they were making, you guessed, Rib Roast. Thing is, they had two thermos and they were both about 50 years old and totally useless. Had to go old school and do it by feel. We lucked out as it came out great. I really think the single most important thing is to let it rest for a long time. It buys you some even doneness if you took it out too soon and it wont be any worse for resting if you cooked it too long. The good news is, there's so much fat in that cut that it will forgive going a touch long as jay did.

God I love prime rib!

It went great with the 98 Giacosa Falletto Di Serralunga Barolo. Man that was a gorgeous wine!