[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now is the time

ffjunkey

I wasn't lucky enough to get an LT, LJ, SA, or even SJ in a local redraft because I had the 10th pick. There were no obvious choices other than a stud WR like CJ or Holt, but even those are no guarantee for consistent points.

I took Manning because I knew he would be consistently good and occasionally have a big game. He's had three of these so far, and I need one more to stay alive in the playoffs.

I wasn't lucky enough to get an LT, LJ, SA, or even SJ in a local redraft because I had the 10th pick. There were no obvious choices other than a stud WR like CJ or Holt, but even those are no guarantee for consistent points.

I took Manning because I knew he would be consistently good and occasionally have a big game. He's had three of these so far, and I need one more to stay alive in the playoffs.

Yup, I'm right there with you. Although I drafted Manning with the 1st pick in the 2nd, (S. Jackson was my first pick) he needs to perform will tonight. I'm down by 25 pts. which is very attainable as long as Manning throws for either 400 yds and 3 tds, or 200 yds and 4 tds. If any QB can put up those numbers, he can. Then I go to the championship where anything can happen!

Manning at 10 is a very good pick, IMO. You know he'll play every week, and you know he'll put up numbers. I can only imagine how many of the 9 guys taken before Peyton have actually scored less pts than Peyton for the year.

Manning at 10 is a very good pick, IMO. You know he'll play every week, and you know he'll put up numbers. I can only imagine how many of the 9 guys taken before Peyton have actually scored less pts than Peyton for the year.

I disagree.

Vick in the 10th is averaging .21 points more per game

Brees in the 12th is averaging .087 more points per game

Palmer in the 6th is averaging 1.686 points less per game

Those are good values.

OK, but what about the player(s) that were drafted several rounds later that have outscored Manning or are very close?

FFJunkey is glad he has Manning now. Tomorrow, he may not be after he loses to the guy who took Rudi Johnson in the first round and got Carson Palmer later on. Not trying to start nothin, I am just sayin...

There is just not enough seperation/drop-off between QBs to justify taking a QB in the first round IMO.

ETA: Blitz kinda beat me to it.

Edited by Delicious_bass

And hindsight is always 20-20. I'm happy to have gotten Peyton in the first @ 10 pick and Westy in the second. :D

I agree. And while I agree with what Bass and Blitz said I'm glad I drafted him. Although he fell to me at 2.7 and my 1st pick, LT :D , has been carrying me all season. But still need something out of Manning tonight to get to the big game.

:D ... I could have told you BEFORE the season that better value would be had by passing on Manning and drafting a QB in the 5th round.

i learned this the hard way. i took lamont jordan with the last pick in a 14-team league and took manning with the next pick. i knew i blew it when the next QB wasn't taken until the fourth round. sure, i had no idea that lamont would be worthless, but there were plenty of guys left on the board who would've offset lamont's lack of production than manning did. i won't make that mistake again.

:D ... I could have told you BEFORE the season that better value would be had by passing on Manning and drafting a QB in the 5th round.

Better yet...if you were paying attention...Blitz brings this up every year......he doesn't draft a QB until the 5th round. :D

I disagree.

Those are good values.

I disagree with your disagreement. The #1 key to winning as you well know is avoiding busts. While a couple of QB's were found much later and are quite good, you will find most teams strugling to fill this spot. Also, not keeping a backup QB has allowed many of these teams to find serious RB jewels in the middle rounds (Gore and some of the rooks come to mind). Teams that drafted RB's late in the first round have strugled. Not only do they not have a QB in most cases, most have pretty poor RB production. Most teams drafting late ended up with the likes of Edge, Caddy, Ronnie, Rudi, McGahee and several other non difference makers. Where are most of them now? Likely eliminated

I disagree.

Those are good values.

But you're also talking about Brees coming off major shoulder surgery on a team that sucked last year, and Carson coming off major surgery. Do you get as much ASSURANCE with these guys that they'll play every week, like you do Manning? Also for Vick, he doesn't have consistency. Only reason he'd be averaging more than Peyton is because of rush yds and a couple big games on a FEW select weeks. Manning has consistancy pretty much week in week out, give or take a couple weeks, and THEN some big games. Vick has lots of crap games, and a few GREAT games where he scores a ton. While I've never drafted a qb high, ever, I don't think any of those 3 came into this season with as much assurance as Peyton. In hindsight, yes Carson and Brees would have been great selections late, but in hindsight most people wouldn't have picked SA so high, Lamont so high, etc, either. Comparing Vick and Peyton in fantasy is CRAZY, imo. Vick will win you a couple games, but Peyton gives you consistant scoring every week.

Vick has 5 games where he's thrown for zero touchdowns. Manning has 1 and it was last week. And in those 5 games where Vick threw for zero touchdowns, in FOUR of those same games he also didn't rush for a touchdown. That's 4 games with NO touchdowns whatsoever from your qb, compared to manning having 1. I'd never take vick over manning, ever. He has a couple great games, but too many bad ones to really carry a team, IMO. Granted there will be teams that get far with Vick, only reason he is close to the scoring is because of a few games.

Edited by Akfatha

I disagree with your disagreement. The #1 key to winning as you well know is avoiding busts. While a couple of QB's were found much later and are quite good, you will find most teams strugling to fill this spot. Also, not keeping a backup QB has allowed many of these teams to find serious RB jewels in the middle rounds (Gore and some of the rooks come to mind). Teams that drafted RB's late in the first round have strugled. Not only do they not have a QB in most cases, most have pretty poor RB production. Most teams drafting late ended up with the likes of Edge, Caddy, Ronnie, Rudi, McGahee and several other non difference makers. Where are most of them now? Likely eliminated

You bring up a good point about finding jewels. Whether you go Manning Rd 1 and then find a Frank Gore later, or go RudiJ, SJax, Westy, etc early and grab a Brees later, it is key to find a diamond in the rough. Different ways to skin a cat...

IMO, its easier to tell which QB will be one than which rookie/unknown/unproven RB, though.

True. I had Peyton on my roster for like 3-4 years in a dynasty league, and the ONLY time I ever needed another QB on my roster was on Peyton's bye week. Otherwise I carried 1 QB all year, and had an extra spot for a hopeful RB.

Amen brotha! I passed on starting Brees, damn I am good, to play manning, i am up 9 playing against C-jo tonight....should be a barn burner!

Good feedback. I think both arguments hold water, but taking Frank Gore, Westbrook, etc. were much riskier picks. Manning was a known good commidity and that's what I want in the first couple rounds. Obviously I had to gamble more at drafting RBs, but if Portis doesn't get hurt I look like a genius (and he has been durable outside of this year).

Consistency wins fantasy championships, not players who have big games once every three weeks. Besides, I was tired of Manning teams beating me in the past. So if you can't beat him, join him!

It seemed to me the middle tier of RB was much larger than in previous years, and the chances of getting a serviceable duo were good going into round three (I ended up with Westy and Chester). As far as the QBs were concerned there was a LOT of risk after the top three. This is the first year I have ever taken a QB in the first round, but it was the huge pool of middle tier RB talent that dictated it, not a yearly philosphy.

That being said, I would not have drafted any QB BUT Peyton in the first round. Brady's dropoff no doubt has many experiencing indigestion.

Edited by cre8tiff

You should have drafted Westbrook or Gore, and picked up Carson in round 3.

It's easy to say this in hindsight but with Carson coming off a gimpy knee there was no guarentee there at all. Manning is the only guarentee qb in the league right now. Honestly I've never owned Manning which is weird in and of itself considering I've played FF ever year he's been in the league and in at least 3 leagues.

Anyway, not a bad pick at that position, late 1st round, early 2nd round. I think the draft is made in other rounds unless you drafted LT this year.

JMO