[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carolina Running back situation next year

Jackass

I found this rather surprising. from pro football weekly...

We hear a clear sign that neither DeShaun Foster nor rookie DeAngelo Williams is the long-term answer at running back for the Panthers is how quickly the team gave up on the running game in Week 14 and allowed backup QB Chris Weinke to throw the ball 61 times. Sources tell us the Panthers will be in the market for a downhill, between-the-tackles runner in the offseason.

That is very surprising - seems they used a first rounder on Williams and never gave him a legitimate shot, if this report is true. I thought he showed some flashes when he had the chance, but since Foster came back he isn't getting any touches at all to speak of.

He had a couple good games against some really bad rushing defenses. He doesn't run well between the tackles(Foster doesn't either) so I can see why this may be true. Too bad the Skins re-signed Betts, he would've been perfect.

Being in DEN, I'd take D Williams in a heartbeat & give him the ball 25 times a game, every game.

You think CAR would take a 2nd rounder for him? LOL @ completely misusing a player and then calling him a bust afterwards. There's a reason CAR went from SB favorites at the start of the year to also-rans.

Edited by Bronco Billy

He had a couple good games against some really bad rushing defenses. He doesn't run well between the tackles(Foster doesn't either) so I can see why this may be true. Too bad the Skins re-signed Betts, he would've been perfect.

98 total yds & a TD against the MIN run D? That's one hell of a lot better than some allegedly more prolific RBs have done against the Vikes this year, including Portis, McGahee, K Jones twice, either Bears' RB twice, and fellow rook Maroney - who everyone sees as a future star.

CAR is nuts if it doesn't make Williams the featured RB. In fact, if they would have done that this year early on, they'd probably have solved a lot of their O problems and would be a shoe-in for a playoff spot.

98 total yds & a TD against the MIN run D? That's one hell of a lot better than some allegedly more prolific RBs have done against the Vikes this year, including Portis, McGahee, K Jones twice, either Bears' RB twice, and fellow rook Maroney - who everyone sees as a future star.

CAR is nuts if it doesn't make Williams the featured RB. In fact, if they would have done that this year early on, they'd probably have solved a lot of their O problems and would be a shoe-in for a playoff spot.

I was thinking more about his lackluster results against the Saints, Bucs and Redskins. Good point about the Vikings game, however that feels like it was 5 years ago. I'm just frustrated with the play calling and personnel decisions.

I was thinking more about his lackluster results against the Saints, Bucs and Redskins. Good point about the Vikings game, however that feels like it was 5 years ago. I'm just frustrated with the play calling and personnel decisions.

Saints - only 8 carries, but 62 yds.

Bucs games were terrible, agreed. I didn't see them & don't have an answer other than he only totaled 11 carries in the 2 games and never had a chance to get untracked.

WAS game he had 63 yds in 17 carries & another 23 yds receiving. Not great, but not bad either. That's solid work.

I just don't see this. DeAngelo Williams has only had five games this year where he had eight or more carries. In those games:

NO - 8-62

@MIN - 13-74

@WAS - 17-63

@PHI - 17-74

STL - 20-114

for a total of 75 runs for 387 yards or a 5.2 YPC.

He has not had one carry inside the ten yard line.

In those 5 games, he caught 18 of 20 passes for 181 yards and 1 TD or a 10 YPC as a receiver.

Where in any of that says he cannot be a fulltime back???

Williams has been given few chances this year and done well when given the ball eight or more times in a game. He has a 5.2 YPC in those games, Foster has a 3.9 YPC average this year and has gained more than 63 yards only three times as a starter,

Not using Williams is one of the most puzzling things about the Panthers this year. They don't need a new RB, they need to just use the one that they have, not the slug Foster.

I just don't see this. DeAngelo Williams has only had five games this year where he had eight or more carries. In those games:

NO - 8-62

@MIN - 13-74

@WAS - 17-63

@PHI - 17-74

STL - 20-114

In those 5 games, he caught 18 of 20 passes for 181 yards and 1 TD or a 10 YPC as a receiver.

Williams has been given few chances this year and done well when given the ball eight or more times in a game. He has a 5.2 YPC in those games, Foster has a 3.9 YPC average this year and has gained more than 63 yards only three times as a starter,

Not using Williams is one of the most puzzling things about the Panthers this year. They don't need a new RB, they need to just use the one that they have, not the slug Foster.

That's a nice well founded argument.

To extend David's logic here, if D Williams had been used as a featured RB and had gotten 250 carries, with Foster used to spell him, Williams would have pro-rated out to 1300 yds rushing this year. That would have taken a ton of pressure off of Delhomme, probably allowing him to be much more effective.

I don't understand sitting Williams on the bench either, given what he has shown in the backfield when he gets a decent workload, and what he has shown on returns with his game breaking ability. The kid took a ton of work in college, so a heavy workload isn't unusual to him, and 250 carries over a season only averages out to 16 carries a game.

Edited by Bronco Billy

NO - 8-62

@MIN - 13-74

@WAS - 17-63

@PHI - 17-74

STL - 20-114

that's why i found their conclusion so surprising. D'angelo was never given a chance this year, and the limited opportunities he did get, he seemed to play pretty well.

Maybe this is as simple as PFW just giving bad information, 'cause as noted by everyone above it certainly doesn't make any sense.

This may be but PFW is drawing the only logical (albeit illogical to us) conclusion being that the Carolina coaches/front office must just not like him now despite some good showings and despite the lofty draft pick.

Carolina has serious problems on O and I think it begins and ends with their coaching staff...

they allow Delhomme to heave-ho crazy passes, they abandon the run, they seem to think that a TE is only for blocking and they have one of the top WR tandems/complements in the league (imho).

Edited by kingfish247