[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tater Soup

Dutch Oven

5-6 slices of bacon (diced)

10-15 red potatoes

1/2 yellow onion (diced)

1/2 stick of butter

2-3 oz of flour

2-3 biers (i like using fat tire)

10 cups of either vegetable or chicken stock

1 1/2 C shreaded cheddar

1 bunch of green onions (chopped)

you will need 2 large pots. boil potatoes in 1 of them. should start them in cold, salted water. should take about 1- 1 1/2 hrs.

in the other start crisping your bacon... remove from fat. add diced onions... just want to sweat them (coooked, but not color). melt butter in pot. add flour (making our roux). give that about 3-5 min (want to cook the "flour" flavor out of it). add bier. you will want to cook the alcohol out of it. then add stock and green onions. add potatoes and some of the potato water..... ultimately you will need to blend this... in commercial kitchens we have a large one.... do it in small batches in your blender and put back in one pot... the roux, cheese, and potatoes should thicken it. once blended, if need be you can use a hand blender int he pot. some people like blending the bacon in with the soup, some people like them diced...your call. let it simmer for abut 15-30 min..... if it is not thick enough make a little batch of roux on the side and add a little at a time while stirring.... it won't thicken instantly... give it 20-30 seconds before adding more roux.

this is one of those soups i do by feel.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Beir pretty much go by feel, I start with a dutch oven and cut up some taters, I keep just enough water in the pot( you'll have to add as you go as it will cook down) so they don't stick and burn. I cook the taters down from raw to thick mush, then I'll add enough water to get the stock the consistency I like. Then I add some butter, diced ham, spring onions and chives. Cook/Simmer for about 20 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Edited by PantherDave

My wife makes this one and it's great.......just had it :D

8 regular potatoes

2/3 cup butter

2/3 cup flour

6 cups Whole milk

4 green onions

1 cup sour cream

2 cups crisp cooked crumbled bacon ( it takes alot to get 2 cups...about 2 packages raw)

5 oz. chedder cheese (grated)

salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 and bake potatoes until tender...or Nuke

Melt butter in a medium saucepan

Slowly blend in flour with a wire wisk until thoroughly blended

Add milk to the flour mixture, wisking constantly

Wisk in salt & pepper and simmer over low heat wisking constantly

Cut potatoes into chunks ( leave the skin on )

When milk mixture is very hot, wisk in potato chunks

Add chopped green onion and wisk well

Add the sour cream and bacon, wisk well

When mixture is heated thoroughly, add the cheese a little at a time until all melted

Serve garnished with chopped green onions, crumbled bacon, and cheese

• 5 months later...

10-15 red potatoes

1/2 yellow onion (diced)

1/2 stick of butter

2-3 oz of flour

1 1/2 C shreaded cheddar

you will need 2 large pots. boil potatoes in 1 of them. should start them in cold, salted water. should take about 1- 1 1/2 hrs.

in the other start crisping your bacon... remove from fat. add diced onions... just want to sweat them (coooked, but not color). melt butter in pot. add flour (making our roux). give that about 3-5 min (want to cook the "flour" flavor out of it). add bier. you will want to cook the alcohol out of it. then add stock and green onions. add potatoes and some of the potato water..... ultimately you will need to blend this... in commercial kitchens we have a large one.... do it in small batches in your blender and put back in one pot... the roux, cheese, and potatoes should thicken it. once blended, if need be you can use a hand blender int he pot. some people like blending the bacon in with the soup, some people like them diced...your call. let it simmer for abut 15-30 min..... if it is not thick enough make a little batch of roux on the side and add a little at a time while stirring.... it won't thicken instantly... give it 20-30 seconds before adding more roux.

This is what's for supper

• 1 year later...
Bier, I fixed this last weekend and it was fabulous. :wacko:

good! did you do anything different (make any changes that other huddlers would be interested in)?

i still owe you a few meatloaf recipes. i need to run some errand today... when i settle back in, i'll post em for you.

• 13 years later...
On 12/19/2006 at 12:39 PM, Bier Meister said:

10-15 red potatoes

1/2 yellow onion (diced)

1/2 stick of butter

2-3 oz of flour

1 1/2 C shreaded cheddar

• Like 1