[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Screwed up 1st year in the rules

CarryTheRock

First year Dynasty league. Somehow in the rules (that were first posted in febuary and reviewable until a week before the seaosn) tie breaker was looked over for the playoffs.

Four teams made the playoffs...

Seed#4 Scored 138

Seed #1 Scored 138

TIE

Seed#3119

Seed#2 78

Seed 3 won.

It's not a payout league so at least that is going for us to make it a little easier.

Some suggestions have been go by the seeding tiebreakers (This would give Seed#1 that had three more regular season wins the edge.)

Another was for them to all three go at it next week, high team wins. I feel for Seed #3 there because he actually won his game (although the others outscored him)

Any thoughts on these or other suggestions we have not thought of?

In my league, if there is a tie, we go to our back ups and review their points. Whichever backups has most points wins. You can also do head to head matchup. If your league has divisions, you can use best divisional records. Create a hierarchy of combination of these. Then just like the NFL the last tie breaker is a coin flip. Good luck.

The tie breaker that we use is the carry over yardage that does not count, example:

If you have 1 pt for every 10 yards rush/rec, then you just add the extra.

My players ended with

QB- 246 =6

RB 1- 24 rush = 4

RB 2- 58 rush, 34 rec = 12 etc....

Compare all of your players and the one with the highest wins, if still tied, flip a coin or arm wrestle

Use fractional scoring

I'd go to bench players or back up QB to break the tie.

Then next year go to fractional scoring and add a tie break rule just to be safe.

I'd say highest seed wins/advances in the event of the tie.

In my pay league, ties go to the home team during the reg. season and the highest seed in the playoffs.

This is how our league does it as well, except ties stand in the regular season. Seems to me to be a worthwhile advantage to give the higher seed as it rewards a season-long effort.

I absolutely hate the notion of using the backup's points as everyone's bench is structured differently. Someone may have 3 QBs while another may have 3 TEs, or is loaded up on a Michael Turner type who is only on a roster in case something were to happen to LT.

The best tie breaker I have used is that you pick who your top scorer will be from your starting lineup, put him up against whoever your opponenet says will be his top scorer. Whoever has the highest wins. Then if they are tied, you go to your #2 tiebreaker, and to #3. We just do 3, since it would be pretty rare to have 3 players all tie. I like this better than your bench points, as each team has a different philosophy on their bench. Some teams then just loaded it with QB to get their backup points up.

For this year, it is irrelevant what any other league does as it is unherently unfair to choose a non-random tiebreaker as that will unfairly negatively impact a team after the fact.

The only fair thing you can do at this point is to choose a random tibreaker... either flip a coin or roll the dice on an online dice server.

THen, for the future, get adequate rules in place... this means ample backup tiebreakers if your first level tiebreak has any chance at all if being a tie as well.

This is the way our league handles this situation:

Playoff Game Tie Breaker - Same as regular season ties(most bench points) but if still tied then both teams advance and play a 3-way game. If championship ends in a tie the money will be split.

This is not fair to the team that won fair and square. He has to fac two teams, and, in the even that the team that actually won ends up second in your 3-man race, he has potentially been unfairly punished by having to face two opponents rather than just one.

This is not fair to the team that won fair and square. He has to fac two teams, and, in the even that the team that actually won ends up second in your 3-man race, he has potentially been unfairly punished by having to face two opponents rather than just one.

So a coin flip or something else random is fair to the other two teams??? To be the best you've got to beat the best so I see no problem with our rule.

So a coin flip or something else random is fair to the other two teams??? To be the best you've got to beat the best so I see no problem with our rule.

The problem is that our "game" is meant to be a one on one contest (assuming a head to head league) to determine the best, with the skill being having the best possible team to put you in a position to win the most games, the luck factor being the schedule. By advancing both teams, you are stacking the luck factor of schedule against the team that legitimately made it to the championshiop game, by forcing him to play against two teams, either of whom may have a particularly lucky day.

So yes, IMO, going to a coin flip or other random tiebreaker is more fair to the team not involved in this particular head to head battle than having them play against two teams, one of whom should have been eliminated the week before.

You should settle and have a result for all head to head matchups, particularly in the playoffs. (Not necessarily so for regular season)

Assuming all else equal, you have just unfairly cut his (the owner who won his game outright) expectency to win from 50% to 33%.

First, it's screwy that you have a dynasty league with no money, but that's another story. :D

One of the ways we break ties in our league is to look at individual player to player matchups and see who wins the head to head.

We first start with QB's -- Team with the Highest scoring QB wins the tie......If the QB's are tied, we then move to RB1, and the team with the highest scoring RB1 wins, if those are tied, we move to RB2, then WR1, WR2, and so fourth and so on down the entire line up.

The odds of every player matching exactly is slim to none, but in the event that happens, it then goes to a coin toss.

Like others have said, since there's no money, flip a coin and fix the rules next year.

One reason I don't like looking at individual players is that this is a team game, and since each owner is building their team in different ways, you would unfairly be rewarding ateam for building their team one way over another (top QB vs owner going avg QB, strong elsewhere).

Granted, knowing this ahead of time makes team makeup a factor, but, going to something like higher seed advances, etc. at least puts some weight into the performance the team has made for the duration of the season.

tie breaker needs to be determined on a FUTURE event.

That is to say I am sure that there are a variety of ways that team a) wins, and a variety of ways that team b ) wins depending on what criteria you use retroactively. So the two tied teams need to agree on something that will test their acumen on an upcoming event (be it an early nfl game where they pick a few props, a different sport altogehter, or a coin toss)

Only way to do it. winner of the tiebreaker faces the other team, even if the tiebreak runs at the same time as the final.

Another was for them to all three go at it next week, high team wins. I feel for Seed #3 there because he actually won his game (although the others outscored him)

This is the only fair way. Flipping a coin makes about as much sense as giving it to the higher seed or home team etc. ie none. Somehow a team should earn it. Using anything else like best bench points etc doesn't make sense to implement THIS year. All kinds of ways to set it up next year.