[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lump Crab Meat

Dutch Oven

I'm going to have 2 lbs of fresh lump crab meat to use for Christmas dinner. I decided to get some steaks this year and grill them instead of a traditional meal. Anyone have any good ideas for what to do with the crab meat. I realize is could use it to top the steaks with some mushrooms, etc. but am looking for other options.

Thanks

I made a simple crab chowder mac last night.

3 or 4 strips of bacon

Medium onion - chopped

2 celery ribs - chopped

Half a red pepper - chopped

Cup of chicken stock

Cup of whole milk, you could use heavy cream instead

2 cups of shredded white cheddar

A tbsp or 2 of fresh thyme

6oz can of lump crab meat

Corn (fresh or frozen) about a cup

Cayenne pepper

Chives

Cook the bacon until crisp, add onions & celery and a little olive oil until opaque, add peppers and cook for another few minutes. I added some flour, maybe a tbsp at this point to thicken it up a little, then I added the milk, chicken stock, and corn. Once it started to bubble I added the cheese and thyme and then threw in a few pinches of cayenne pepper. Also, season with a salt and pepper to taste.

I let that cook for another 5 minutes or so then served over a bowl of pasta shells (cooked of course) and garnished with some chopped chives.

Crab Salad:

1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells

3/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons chopped shallots

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

2 tablespoons chili sauce, such as Srirachi Hot Chili Sauce

Juice of 1/2 lime plus lime wedges for garnish

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the crab salad: Put the crabmeat in a bowl and add the mayonnaise, shallots, cilantro, chili sauce, and lime juice. Mix gently to combine the ingredients without breaking up the large lumps of crabmeat. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

crab cakes:

your 2 lbs of crab

about 1-2 C panko

1 egg

1/4-1/2 C mayo

1/4 C sliced green onion

1/4 C chopped cilantro

1 tbs old bay

1 tbs soy

1 tbs dried ginger

1 tbs garlic

1/2 tbs sesame oil

combine everything. it's all about consistancy, so if it's a little drym add some more mayo.... if it's a little wet add some more panko. form cakes the size you want. pan sear until each side is goden... finish in oven for about 5-10 min.

edit: to add green onion

Edited by Bier Meister

Dude, is there anything better than crab cakes?

No, there isn't...make crab cakes

True, but maybe it's just me, I'm a little sick of crab cakes. Every holiday party,restaurant, or benefit I've been to lately has had crab cakes.

Same with the seared ahi tuna marinated in some version of soy... how about a little creativity with the menu? I understand it's easy but come on.

Edited by twiley