[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Losing the superbowl cuz you started the wrong player

capostatus

anyone else?

didnt get to my computer before kickoff yesterday and had no idea about braylon edwards being benched. what a bunch of BS. started him over furrey vs the bears D cuz tampa bay was somethin like 28th against the pass and braylon is the more talented player, thought he'd have a big day seein as the brown dont have anyone else.

also startin chester taylor over anyone........had i plugged ronnie brown tonight id still have a shot

its one thing to lose a game due to someone on your bench outscorin a started but in the superbowl its very frustratin

I needed a combined 28 points out of MB3, TO and Coles. MB3 got shut out, TO can't catch anything unless it's in the end zone and Coles just got killed.

I figured I had a good shot because the average points scored between those 3 players was 38. Instead, they put up a combined 8.7 points and I lose in the championship game.

Oh well, at least I got there.

Kinda lost the superbowl, but it was last week. I started Chester Taylor over MJD. Big mistake. If Chester would have been questionable or if I had known Fragile would go down, I would have won last week cause I would have played MJD for sure.

And this week, I would have doubled the score of either team in the superbowl.

I won the consilation bowl. :D And scored the highest score in the league this week by a lot.

Oh, but I did win the superbowl in the only other league I play in. :D

if it means anything starting all my best players i still wouldnt have won...so im not kickin myself as much

still sucks to lose the superbowl....thought i had the team to win it but they crapped the bed this week :D put up points on my bye week but performed poorly in the semis and finals

cant believe this yr is already over, now i gotta wait 9 months to try and finish what i couldnt

i got LUCKIER than ever this year and just happened to make all the right calls. pure luck though of course. last week, i picked ahman over jamal lewis/chester and ahman had 20+ pts for me, and this week i picked jamal over chester/ahman and jamal had 20+ pts for me. it was really just lucky pick looking at the matchups, but it won me the super bowl. finally the luck turned my way this year.

Two weeks ago, I benched Vick for Brady. Vick had about 300 yds and 4 TDs that week, with Brady having 109 and 2 TDs. I lost by 2.6 points.

This week, I would have beat either team in the championship game by more than 55 pts. :wah:

Edited by Furd

lost this year because i started Andre Johnson over Isaac Bruce. it was the only switch to my lineup i was considering...mainly because Carr and that offense hadn't done jack for several weeks.

i lost last year's championship because i DIDN'T start Andre Johnson and he scored a 50+ yard TD vs. Jacksonville.

i guess that makes AJ my nemesis...even though he's on my own team.

I would have tied in the 2nd rd of the playoffs if I had started Kitna over Roethlisberger. Roeth has outscored him considerably for almost 2 months and both had 'bad' matchups, but Cleveland had done pretty well vs Balt last week.

Repeat 100 times "I will trust DMD's weekly predictions next year, I WILL trust DMD's weekly predictions next year!!!!!!"

At least I won my other league's championship. :D

Edited by Todd1

anyone else?

didnt get to my computer before kickoff yesterday and had no idea about braylon edwards being benched. what a bunch of BS. started him over furrey vs the bears D cuz tampa bay was somethin like 28th against the pass and braylon is the more talented player, thought he'd have a big day seein as the brown dont have anyone else.

also startin chester taylor over anyone........had i plugged ronnie brown tonight id still have a shot

its one thing to lose a game due to someone on your bench outscorin a started but in the superbowl its very frustratin

I think these threads really highlight that you need to stick with what was working all season. I managed a championship in one league despite benching Cotchery for Devery Henderson (played the matchup and weather) despite the fact that Cotch was a very consistent 3rd receiver for me all season. I got lucky and it didnt cost me but it almost did. I also flirted with starting Rhodes over Jamal Lewis (again, getting seduced by the matchup) but came to my senses at the last minute (well, came to my senses when I found out Addai was playing). But THAT one would have cost me the championship.

In my league I have listed below, I rode Willie Parker to the consolation game and benched him for MBIII. Seemed like a no-brainer after FWP's 3 pointer against the Ravens. But Barber pulled the bagel so again, just riding the horse that got you there was the right move.

It worked out for me in both instances but just as easily could have been disastrous.

So my new iron-clad rule that I will not violate is this:

1. Always start a stud nomatter the matchup (okay thats easy).

2. If you have two studs and must choose, take the more consistent player.

3. For non-studs, take the horse you rode with all season. He is likely to be the more consistent player and you wont want to kill yourself for benching him.

In this case, Barber had shown some inconsistency in games where the Cowboys trailed but this looked to be a pretty safe play. Parker was known to struggle against the Ravens, so this looked like a no-brainer. But you could argue that FWP is a stud and Barber is not. If you argue Barber is not a stud, then you start FWP no questions asked. But Barber is 3rd in the league in TDs so thats a tough argument. The fact that he doesnt start though and shares carries might be argument enough though.

But in Lewis' case, starting Rhodes would clearly violate this rule. Neither is a stud but Lewis is a far more consistent player. He had been scoring at a clip of a TD per game for the 2nd half of the season with about 80 yards averaged. Even with the tough matchup he clearly was the better choice.

Same with Cotchery. Henderson has had some big games, but has shown a lot of inconsistency. Whenever I started him he did nothing. When I benched him he went off. Infuriating. But Cotchery was always consistent. Funny thing is I vowed to ride with Cotch for the playoffs. I started him in Week 15 and he did next to nothing so...of course he had a good game in 16.

Its a pretty easy rule. Always play your studs. When a choice between non studs, just go with the more consistent player unless there is a really compelling reason otherwise. Especially with WRs that are so unpredictable (see Torry Holt getting shut down against the Redskins and Ike Bruce going off).

I would have tied in the 2nd rd of the playoffs if I had started Kitna over Roethlisberger. Roeth has outscored him considerably for almost 2 months and both had 'bad' matchups, but Cleveland had done pretty well vs Balt last week.

Repeat 100 times "I will trust DMD's weekly predictions next year, I WILL trust DMD's weekly predictions next year!!!!!!"

At least I won my other league's championship. :D

And oh yeah, always trust DMD. That works for me too. When in doubt, thats always the default.