[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty League Expansion

CarryTheRock

8 team Dynasty league going to 10. 30 man roster (may go down to 20-25) with 8 man taxi squad. D team/SP teams

Looking at protecting 5 players from each squad for expansion draft. Each time someone is taken from a roster you protect another. Thinking each team should only have to give up a max amount from their roster.

two new teams get #1 and #2 in the rookie draft....

Any other suggestions?

We're trying to figure the same sort of thing out for a salary cap contract league I'm in ... going from 10 to 12 owners ...

These are some of our thoughts so far:

This is the only 10 team league I have ever been apart of, I generally favor 12 team leagues as with 12 teams it tends to spread out the talent a bit more. I have really enjoyed this league but have been wondering if we should consider expanding to 12 teams.

The hard part about expanding from 10 to 12 teams is that the two new teams would have to be able to take enough guys from our rosters to immediately field competitive teams ... otherwise there would be no incentive for them to shell out $100 to join our league. That means every team would likely lose 1 to 3 players they didn't really want to lose.

It seems to me like keys to making an expansion work would be:

1. Existing teams would be able to protect up to a certain amount of players (say 4) up to a certain amount of salary cap (say $200). It has to include both the number of players component as well as the salary cap component because some teams draft 4 studs to be the foundation of their team while others draft for balance. So teams that drafted for balance could protect 4 players while the teams that drafted studs may only be able to protect 2.

2. New teams would only be allowed to fill out a limited number of roster spots (say 10?) and would have to compete in the auction to fill out the remainder of their rosters. While we want these teams to be competitive we don't want them to necessarily be able to cherry pick and load up.

3. Teams that lose their first player would immediately be able to protect any single player with a salary greater than or equal to $100 or may protect up to 2 players with a total salary of $100 or less. Teams that lose their 2nd player would immediately be able to proect any single player with a salary greater than or equal to $100 or may protect up to 3 players with a total salary of $100 or less. No team can lose more than 3 players.

4. Expansion would occur after salary recalculation but before salary cap compliance is required.

5. Obviously the expansion teams would have to assume any unsigned bonus amounts and like any other owner would have the option of accelerating those signing bonuses.

Just thinking out loud here ... any other thoughts?