[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charger's Playoff Run - Homer's perspective

McBoog

As a Charger fan, I am obviously excited about the prospects of a Superbowl run :lol: . The Marty factor is clearly on everyone's minds :D , except the players themselves (according to a friend of mine who works in the organization).

Looking at the playoffs, there are two teams that stand out to me that I feel uneasy about heading into the tournament.

Yeah, the popular match-up is the Ravens and their “win” over the Chargers :doh: . I saw the game, I know the truth and know that the Chargers match up VERY well with the Ravens. Rivers, though in a mini-two-game-slump, is a much more seasoned QB and there will not be the need to crawl into a shell the way Marty did in the game. The Chargers now know with the game on the line and they need a score, Rivers can do the job. Rivers is also the leagues highest rated QB in the fourth quarter when the pressure is the greatest :huh: (cool PDF file as well) . The Ravens will have to contend with a resurgent and healthy Bolt D, IN San Diego. IMO the Chargers can move the ball on the Ravens better than the Ravens can on the Chargers. A 16-10 game would not surprise me.

BUT, that is not one of the teams that has me twitching. The two teams that I think have the better shot at taking the Boltz out of the running are:

1) Patriots – Coaching, schemes and looks Rivers hasn't seen yet. Brady and a load of playoff experience like no other team in the hunt. This team knows what it takes to win these games. The Chargers are still very young and have one playoff loss to draw upon.

2) Broncos – It is VERY difficult to beat a team THREE times in the same season. :bash: It is an intangible that cannot be overlooked. :clap: There is also great playoff experience as well. The balance is the rookie QB, a true rook. He is making some throws, but in the Playoff environment, on the road, he could struggle.

If the Chargers get to the Superbowl, I think they win it over whichever team from the NFC goes (not a stretch prediction I know). Actually, any top 4 seeded AFC team but the Colts (that Defense is killing them) should “represent”.

Just my :D

:tup::(

If the Chargers get to the Superbowl, I think they win it over whichever team from the NFC goes (not a stretch prediction I know). Actually, any top 4 seeded AFC team but the Colts (that Defense is killing them) should “represent”.

Arguably the most entertaining Super Bowl would be Saints/Chargers with league MVP candidates Brees & LT.

Arguably the most entertaining Super Bowl would be Saints/Chargers with league MVP candidates Brees & LT.

Though I agreed with the decision to let Drew go, I really like the kid. I would LOVE to see that happen!

The biggest danger to the Bolts is an injury to LT. IMO, the Chargers are a one-trick pony (albeit that's one heck of a trick) and if the pony pulls up lame, the wheels will fall off immediately.

That would be bad. But maybe my jaded vision tells me otherwise. I think the Charger with LT running the ball are "better than most" of the teams in the tournament. With Turner, I think they are at least "just as good".

I think the lack of a big wr may hurt them..LT is a monster even against a stacked line but in the playoffs and particularly against the Ravens if he is somewhat contained they are in trouble..

Edited by whomper

I think the lack of a big wr may hurt them..LT is a monster even against a stacked line but in the playoffs and particularly against the Ravens if he is somewhat contained they are in trouble..

In some ways the Bolts remind me of KC a couple years ago with Priest and Tony G, but no receivers. The difference is the Bolts have a decent D, while KC didn't.

That would be bad. But maybe my jaded vision tells me otherwise. I think the Charger with LT running the ball are "better than most" of the teams in the tournament. With Turner, I think they are at least "just as good".

Shrug...Always got Gates and Vincent Jackson has been really good as of late.

I saw the game, I know the truth and know that the Chargers match up VERY well with the Ravens.......The Ravens will have to contend with a resurgent and healthy Bolt D, IN San Diego. IMO the Chargers can move the ball on the Ravens better than the Ravens can on the Chargers. A 16-10 game would not surprise me.

The Ravens Chargers game was played in week 4 and both teams have developed a great deal since then. However as I do recall, the Chargers D was pretty healthy back in week. The Ravens have been moving the ball very well of late and the young wide receivers on the Ravens could have a hugh impact in the playoffs.

This guy makes me realize how annoying I am when the Steelers are doing well.

:bash::clap::tup::doh::huh::lol::(;)

I never wanted to compare you two, but I finally had to a couple weeks ago. For some reason you have never really bothered me. This tool for some reason just pushes me to a new level, just as you did to so many.

The Chargers are the best team of all time, right McBoob? All your "friends" in the organization :D You make me wanna puke :D

Alright now for a real post.

The Chargers are not "soft" as some of the Chefs players stated, it's the Chefs who are soft :D The Chargers are a well balanced, good disciplined football team. They have arguably the best RB of all time. A top flight TE and a above average Defense. I too feel the same way as Ursa, this is a team that mirrors the Chiefs of 2003, cept with a little better defense. The problem is that we had a seasoned veteran QB in Green at the time and you have a loose cannon in Rivers. Rivers will be the downfall of this team in the playoffs. The Defense can be beaten if you can give the QB time to throw the football on them. There rush defense is one of the better ones in the NFL even though they are not as good at short yardage situations. This is a team that is not overrated, but maybe not as good as there record, such as the Chiefs of 2003. They were beat by an average football team (Chiefs) almost twice. This is a team that is going to struggle when LT struggles. BAL matches up perfectly with SD and this is a rematch I'd like to see. As much as I like Marty and would love to see him win a championship....I'm just not sure that will happen. LT has been spectacular, but haven't we seen him cool down this time of year before on more than one occassion?

This Conference is tough and on any given Thursday, Saturday or Sunday :D a team can be beat.

Edited by Hat Trick

"The Chargers have about 1,300 tickets to sell by 1:15 p.m. tomorrow in order to have the blackout lifted for Sunday's regular season finale against Arizona."

What a joke. Looks like it will be pretty easy for us Ravens fans to get playoff tickets in San Diego should the Bolts not choke.

"The Chargers have about 1,300 tickets to sell by 1:15 p.m. tomorrow in order to have the blackout lifted for Sunday's regular season finale against Arizona."

What a joke. Looks like it will be pretty easy for us Ravens fans to get playoff tickets in San Diego should the Bolts not choke.

McBoog'll buy em all :D

The Ravens held LT to under 100 yards, handed the Bolts their 1st loss and only gave up 13 points. This was before the switch to Billick as OC, and we've only lost 1 game since that. Also, the game was won by Todd Heap catching a pass at the 5 and knocking over Shawn 'shoot up' Merriman.

Most fantasy junkies cannot get behind a team that does not light up the offensive score board. However, the Ravens have found ways to win all year. The Chargers and Ravens are, in my opinion, the two best teams in the league this year. It will be a VERY good game, but I would (of course) go with the Ravens in this one.

Besides, Marty will panic should things head south in the playoffs and go into his 'run left, run right, incomplete pass' playoff scheme.

Holy crap, they can't sell out when they're doing this well? I suppose there aren't many away fans either, though.

It's been an entertaining and enjoyable season for all Chargers fans. This team has found ways to win and overcome adversity. If the offense is down, the defense has picked them up. When the defense was sans Merriman, the offense and LT stepped up their game and put up 30+ points a week. However, as a previous poster said, on any given Sun., Sat., or Thurs., anything can happen. Once the playoffs start, everyone's at 0-0 again. I like the Chargers chances. They have loads of talent and great coaching. They CAN get it done, but any team making the playoffs in the tough AFC will be a threat. The Ravens have a dominating D and a veteran QB who's solid in the clutch and in the playoffs. The Pats have a Super Bowl MVP QB, a savvy coach, and veteran defensive players The Colts have Peyton, all-pro WRs, an up-and-comer in Addai, and are dangerous. The Jets have coach-of-the-year candidate "Mangenious" and have found ways to win. I think the Bengals would scare anyone if they found a way to sneak into the playoffs. That said, GO BOLTS!! :D

The Achilles heel for the Chargers is Rivers. He has played well this year, but I can just see a down performance in the playoffs.

Just a hunch. And I really like the Chargers this year.

Edit to add: I hope like heck the Ravens don't make it. The LAST thing I want to see on Super Bowl Sunday is Ray Lewis doing that stupid-ass dance during player introductions.

Edited by Chief Dick

Edit to add: I hope like heck the Ravens don't make it. The LAST thing I want to see on Super Bowl Sunday is Ray Lewis doing that stupid-ass dance during player introductions.

He doesn't do that dance during player introductions anymore (hasn't done it at all this season).