[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charger's Playoff Run - Homer's perspective

McBoog

good points all. I just don't see a dominant team in all aspects of the game from either the AFC or NFC. I think it'll be like last year with whichever team getting hot, running the table

I agree with this.

I don't see the chargers winning it all because much like the Colts of last year their defense is smoke and mirrors. it is not as good as it has looked and I can see their secondary getting torched come playoff time.

It does amaze me how people are already blaming Schott for a loss they have not gotten yet. when they lose they will once again blame Schott despite the fact that he has gotten them to overachieve all year.

:huh::lol::(;):bash::fool::brow::lol:

I never wanted to compare you two, but I finally had to a couple weeks ago. For some reason you have never really bothered me. This tool for some reason just pushes me to a new level, just as you did to so many.

The Chargers are the best team of all time, right McBoob? All your "friends" in the organization :D You make me wanna puke :tup:

Actually the best team of all time IMO opinion was the Steelers dynasty of the 70's. That team had it all! If there was ever a team that was feared by their opponent on a weekly basis, it had to be those teams.

This is the best team the Chargers have ever fielded. The Coryell years produced great offense and bad defense. They never won it all because they were almost a mirror image of the modern Colt's team. Play keep away with a strong running game, you could beat them, as the F'n Raiders did on many occasions, including an AFC title game :clap: . The Chargers are winning games in a manner that they have NEVER been able to do in the past. They are getting breaks that always seemed to go against them. They have had a charmed season, and sometimes lucky is better than good. I think this year they are both.

In the watered down NFL talent pool, I don't think any modern NFL team will ever compare to some of the squads of yerteryear. Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins. They were the apex where the evolution of modern football met the nasty of its origins.

You are a Chief fan. Almost as obnoxious as Raider fans. This is why I, a Charger fan, "push you to a new level". All I have talked about this year is the balance and depth of this year's squad. I don't talk smack about other teams.

You don't know me Hat Trick, so that gives you the ability to :D at my claim to knowing people who work for the Chargers? I don't get it!?!? I have played and coached football my whole life and lived in San Diego most of my life. Our QB in high school (I played O-line) was the son of the running backs coach for Coryell. He always took us out for Pizza so we would "take care of Micheal" for him. It was very cool 'cause we got to go to practice and hang out with the players at the "complex" (the old facility). We also got to help out in LaJolla during training camp. I almost left my career to work for the Chargers in their security department. Though exciting and getting my foot in the door of the NFL was a personal goal, I decided the travel and less money was not worth what it would do to my family and passed. Believe me or not, you really don't know.

I heard you were actually a closet pedophile :bash: . Should everyone belive that 'cause I said it? If you don't like the info I try to share about the team, I always invite you to put me on your ignore list. It would probably make your visits to these boards much more enjoyable if you do.

Now if I am a "tool" (you should stop sneaking peeks in my shower loafer boy) for giving my opinion about the two teams that worry me the most, so be it, I AM A TOOL everyone. Maybe I'll change my screen name to McTool so you can feel better about yourself Hat Trick. Feel free to tell me why I am wrong. Have I overlooked something? Do I think the Ravens can beat the Chargers. Yump yeah I do! They are an awsome team! Are they the match-up I fear the most for the Bolts? No. I explained earlier. You don't agree, and you know what? I could give an Oh-poopy! You have as much credability as any of the other faceless internet strangers on these boards. Probably less 'cause you resort to sophmoric name calling when you don't like something or someone. :lol:

I titled the thread with the HOMER reference up front. I at least admit some of my opinions may be tweeked in favor of my favorite team. I am just not as much of a big boy like you that can overcome my excitement over my historically crappy team finally doing real well. Sorry I cannot live down to your standards. At least I know my posts will help you lose weight during this overeating laden holiday season! :doh:

Actually, I think that is sports cliche that is not accurate. I think ESPN did some research a few years ago and debunked that myth.

If you could find that it would be interesting. I take it for granted because it has happened three time in my Football/sports life. Twice as a player and one as a coach. Twice I was on the side that got beat twice and we killed them in game three and the other time we got killed in game three.

Don't mean to perpetuate a myth if it has been proven wrong, I was going on personal experience here. :D

...It does amaze me how people are already blaming Schott for a loss they have not gotten yet. when they lose they will once again blame Schott despite the fact that he has gotten them to overachieve all year.

:D

:bash:

I am hoping for a rematch between the two. As stated earlier in this thread, both teams have grown tremendously over the course of the season and each brings more to the table than they did earlier this season. :D

I just can't see the Pats and or the Broncos beating the Chargers in SD. The Ravens can, IMHO. I'm not saying they will, just that they have the ability.

I am hoping for a rematch between the two. As stated earlier in this thread, both teams have grown tremendously over the course of the season and each brings more to the table than they did earlier this season. :D

I just can't see the Pats and or the Broncos beating the Chargers in SD. The Ravens can, IMHO. I'm not saying they will, just that they have the ability.

This is the game I would like to see as well. Not because I think it is the "easier" game, none of them are easy. What it will do is clearly send the best team to represent the AFC. It should be a great game and I think the one most people would want to see, even if they aren't Raven or Charger homers (and their teams are already eliminated).

This is the game I would like to see as well. Not because I think it is the "easier" game, none of them are easy. What it will do is clearly send the best team to represent the AFC. It should be a great game and I think the one most people would want to see, even if they aren't Raven or Charger homers (and their teams are already eliminated).

The Pats IMO are the least of my worries for the playoffs. Talk about smoke and mirrors. If Denver keeps the 5 seed, there is not better matchup for Denver as they can absolutely take NE.

I have to disagree about Denver ending up playing SD again. I think SD is just a better team and would probably beat them 4 out of 5 games if not 5 out of 5 this year. SD's D is just solid. They put heavy pressure on the QB and stop the run extremely well. Their corners have improved immensly this season and help round out a very good D. I actually think that SD causes many problems for Balt. if they face eachother again. SD will make Balt. throw to move the ball, and I think SD can put enough pressure on McNair to force him into mistakes. You might say the same thing about Balt.'s D, but Rivers is a much better QB now than when he faced them earlier in the year. Yes he's struggled lately, but he is one QB in the league that throws the ball to the open receiver, not his favorite receiver time and again. I like SD in this matchup by 4 pts.

I have to disagree about Denver ending up playing SD again. I think SD is just a better team and would probably beat them 4 out of 5 games if not 5 out of 5 this year. SD's D is just solid. They put heavy pressure on the QB and stop the run extremely well. Their corners have improved immensly this season and help round out a very good D. I actually think that SD causes many problems for Balt. if they face eachother again. SD will make Balt. throw to move the ball, and I think SD can put enough pressure on McNair to force him into mistakes. You might say the same thing about Balt.'s D, but Rivers is a much better QB now than when he faced them earlier in the year. Yes he's struggled lately, but he is one QB in the league that throws the ball to the open receiver, not his favorite receiver time and again. I like SD in this matchup by 4 pts.

I agree, SD is a MUCH better team than the Broncos.

Rivers MAY be much better than he was when SD faced Baltimore earlier, but the Raven's offense is also VASTLY improved. VASTLY. The O-Line has surrendered mighty few sacks and McNair rarely makes bad decisions with the ball. Clearly SD has the best RB in football as well as the best TE, but the Raven's receivers are leasp and bounds beyond anything the Chargers can throw at us. Oh, and Heap isn't exactly a slouch at TE either :D

It would be a terrific matchup, I hope we get to see it :D

Actually the best team of all time IMO opinion was the Steelers dynasty of the 70's. That team had it all! If there was ever a team that was feared by their opponent on a weekly basis, it had to be those teams.Sure you do

This is the best team the Chargers have ever fielded. The Coryell years produced great offense and bad defense. They never won it all because they were almost a mirror image of the modern Colt's team. Play keep away with a strong running game, you could beat them, as the F'n Raiders did on many occasions, including an AFC title game :tup: . The Chargers are winning games in a manner that they have NEVER been able to do in the past. They are getting breaks that always seemed to go against them. They have had a charmed season, and sometimes lucky is better than good. At least you willing to admit that :D I think this year they are both.

In the watered down NFL talent pool, I don't think any modern NFL team will ever compare to some of the squads of yerteryear. Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins. They were the apex where the evolution of modern football met the nasty of its origins. Ya think?

You are a Chief fan. Almost as obnoxious as Raider fans. This is why I, a Charger fan, "push you to a new level". WRONG! It's the same reason that some have a problem with Menudo, Chargers are the best this, Chargers are the best that, your constant banter is what rubbed me wrongAll I have talked about this year is the balance and depth of this year's squad. I don't talk smack about other teams.

You don't know me Hat Trick, so that gives you the ability to :D at my claim to knowing people who work for the Chargers? I don't get it!?!? Maybe cause you come off as a know it all, done it all jackhole I have played and coached football my whole life and lived in San Diego most of my life. Our QB in high school (I played O-line) was the son of the running backs coach for Coryell. He always took us out for Pizza so we would "take care of Micheal" for him. It was very cool 'cause we got to go to practice and hang out with the players at the "complex" (the old facility). We also got to help out in LaJolla during training camp. I almost left my career to work for the Chargers in their security department. Though exciting and getting my foot in the door of the NFL was a personal goal, I decided the travel and less money was not worth what it would do to my family and passed. Believe me or not, you really don't know.Now I am impressed :bash:

I heard you were actually a closet pedophile :clap: .Yup that's me Should everyone belive that 'cause I said it? If you don't like the info I try to share about the team, I always invite you to put me on your ignore list. It would probably make your visits to these boards much more enjoyable if you do.Theres really only been one other person on these boards for the 8 years I've been here, UT

Now if I am a "tool" (you should stop sneaking peeks in my shower loafer boy)So basically you're the closet gay guy is what you're saying, seems to be your topic of choice for giving my opinion about the two teams that worry me the most, so be it, I AM A TOOL everyone. Maybe I'll change my screen name to McTool so you can feel better about yourself Hat Trick. Feel free to tell me why I am wrong. Have I overlooked something? Do I think the Ravens can beat the Chargers. Yump yeah I do! They are an awsome team! Are they the match-up I fear the most for the Bolts? No. I explained earlier.No you didn't you proceeded to say that they match up VERY well with them, and your D is much better now and that's it. I want to hear WHY you think they match up so well on football genius You don't agree, and you know what? I could give an Oh-poopy! You have as much credability as any of the other faceless internet strangers on these boards. Probably less 'cause you resort to sophmoric name calling when you don't like something or someone. :huh:

I titled the thread with the HOMER reference up front.You didn't have to, everyone knows what you're like I at least admit some of my opinions may be tweeked in favor of my favorite team.Ya think, maybe just a little bit? I am just not as much of a big boy like you that can overcome my excitement over my historically crappy team finally doing real well. Sorry I cannot live down to your standards. At least I know my posts will help you lose weight during this overeating laden holiday season! :doh:

I don't recall inundating the boards with “Chargers are best this or that”. Other than most balanced and “best” depth (IMO), I try not to do that. It is not proven 'till the end of the season. If you don't win the Superbowl, you are just another team.

Here goes...

The game was played in Baltimore. The idea LT was held under 100 yards (98) is silly when you see that hey put up 154 on the ground on them. The Bolt O-line is one of the few big enough to push that awesome front seven of the Ravens around. Rivers seems to be a pressure QB. That is to be seen. Even though the Bolts climbed into a Marty shell and tried to sit on the lead, Rivers was still 13-22, 145, 1/1. Not a horrible performance in his first test in a really tough venue. Rivers only threw eight times in the second half. I remember post-game commentary from Ravens players that were happy about that. Rivers missed a couple of big play opportunities, plays he might have made later in the game. The Ravens were having problems with coverage. This may be different now that a whole season has gone by, but the players are the same and San Diego does not have to deal with crowd noise. Two of the three missed FGs all year by Kaeding where in that game. The Bolts won both time of possession and total net yards in the game. Once again, the Chargers snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and I remember thinking, “Here we go again!”

Step to now. Baltimore's defense has slammed the door recently and are playing shut down on that side of the ball. Their offense seems to have scored well lately and they are playing their best, most balanced ball of the season right now, at the right time. A loss and then giving 17 up to the Browns has to be worrisome though. I don't feel that either team had a particularly harder/easier schedule than the other. How do you explain the Bengals loss? Seven points? The Raven Offense is spurty. McNair has definitely improved that side of the ball though and they seem to be a better balanced team than their last Superbowl run, but they are still not “one of the better” offenses in the league and can be inconsistent.

The Chargers have put up less than 20 just once, and that was week four (game three) at the Ravens. Personally, I believe it was Marty Ball that killed that game. This was the discussion of National Commentators and opinion as well as in San Diego. Martyball has been non-existent since this game and that is the wild-card to this whole scenario. IF it comes back in the tournament, the Chargers do not have a chance. They left at least six on the field with 2 missed field goals and MAYBE (who knows) more had they played the second half the way they did the first. This is the highest scoring offense in the league, and at home, moves the ball. The defense the last two weeks, finally getting healthy and all their players back, has held KC and Seattle to 9 and 17 points, both are better offenses that the Ravens. They are playing well, probably better overall than in the beginning of the year. They are susceptible to the TE and the Ravens have one of the best. The Ravens have given up 17 sacks, very good, but the Bolts have two of the best rushing from outside and will get pressure on McNair and shorten up their passing game. The Billick play calling factor is a new twist.

The game will be in San Diego and the sound factor for both the Os will not be there. San Diego has a crappy, old stadium and it does not retain sound very well making noise less of a factor for visiting teams than in other venues, so there is not quite the sound factor for opposing offenses to deal with. San Diego fans also tend to be “lazy” in the stadium and do not make the constant noise other fans do (Baltimore, KC, Seattle), only getting “loud” on third down or when it counts. (This is also a reason why there are usually seats available as well. There about 3,000 restricted view seats in that old chunk of concrete and these seats are usually bought up by corporations at the last minute and donated to charities for tax deductions. Been that way for decades! The place once was great, now it is a pit.)

At home, with the big O-line and the fact that the Bolts could run on the Ravens the first time, I see the Chargers putting up about 20-24 points. I can't see the Ravens putting up more than 13 to 17 on the Chargers, in San Diego. It comes down to the Defenses in this game, and I think the San Diego D match-up against the Ravens O is more favorable than the Ravens D match-up against the Chargers O, especially in San Diego. Going by raw numbers Baltimore's O is ranked #17, San Diego's Defense is Ranked #7 (+10). The Chargers' O is ranked #4 and the Ravens' D is #1 (+3). The Chargers are the #1 scoring team in the NFL ( 31 PPG), the Ravens are more efficient in this category at #10 ( 22.3 PPG). Both San Diego and Baltimore are in the top ten in points allowed, Ravens #1 ( 12.9 PPG) and the Chargers # 7 ( 18.9 PPG), still giving a slight overall advantage to the Chargers. Rivers has been pretty well protected and has taken 26 sacks this season, but has only thrown 8 INTs. Even in his current funk, he has taken care of the ball very well!

Basically what this all says is...

The Ravens will have to contend with a resurgent and healthy Bolt D, IN San Diego. IMO the Chargers can move the ball on the Ravens better than the Ravens can on the Chargers. A 16-10 game would not surprise me.

... which is the short version of the crap above.

This is assuming the Chargers beat the Cards, securing the #1 seed this weekend and the game is played in San Diego. If the game goes to Baltimore, the Chargers go in there as an even to slight underdog.

I make no prediction on this game yet. A lot can happen between now and then, injuries etc. After it is all said and done, this is the match up we are all hoping for. I hope it happens. I still think that some of the “intangibles” the other two teams bring to the table cause me uncertainty, the proverbial “heebee geebees”. With the Ravens, I don't get that feeling, but it is not a cake-walk by any means, no over-confidence. What it is... is a great match-up. Clearcut and unmistakable. Two great teams without any of the other stuff smacking each other. Ultimately, the AFC teams in this thing are all pretty dang good and are pretty even. It is the “intangibles” I was mostly referring to.

Now, if you have a problem with any of this, instead of taking potshots from the protection of your computer screen, step up like the big guy you want us to believe you are and tell my why and give me your amateur analysis as I have given you my amateur analysis if you think otherwise. If you can't... shut up and go away you pesky fly. Shoo...

It's been an entertaining and enjoyable season for all Chargers fans. This team has found ways to win and overcome adversity. If the offense is down, the defense has picked them up. When the defense was sans Merriman, the offense and LT stepped up their game and put up 30+ points a week. However, as a previous poster said, on any given Sun., Sat., or Thurs., anything can happen. Once the playoffs start, everyone's at 0-0 again. I like the Chargers chances. They have loads of talent and great coaching. They CAN get it done, but any team making the playoffs in the tough AFC will be a threat. The Ravens have a dominating D and a veteran QB who's solid in the clutch and in the playoffs. The Pats have a Super Bowl MVP QB, a savvy coach, and veteran defensive players The Colts have Peyton, all-pro WRs, an up-and-comer in Addai, and are dangerous. The Jets have coach-of-the-year candidate "Mangenious" and have found ways to win. I think the Bengals would scare anyone if they found a way to sneak into the playoffs. That said, GO BOLTS!! :D

+1

Excellent commentary on this wonderful season McBoog. Patriots worry me the most as well, though I'd feel pretty comfortable if we get to play Denver again (particularly if it meant Denver knocked off New England!).

I agree it was Martyball that killed the Ravens game, but I think it was the right strategy at that point in the season. Key to where this team is right now is the cheap game-reps that Rivers got early.

Early schedule was pretty soft overall (Tennessee, Raiders, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Kansas City) and was pretty much vintage Martyball, easy for Rivers. In Baltimore, I think it was the right move to keep doing what was working all game in the 4th quarter and was rather a freak outcome.

Then, in the second half at Kansas City, a confident Rivers showed what he could do and that he was ready for the Cincy/Denver road games with a depleted defense.

If you look back on this season, you could say there were four times that only Rivers could get the win in an otherwise lost game: @KC, @CIN, @DEN, @SEA. It turns out that getting the #1 seed required Rivers to convert three of these four chances, all on the road.

Marty needs to approach the playoffs the same way that has worked for all the home games this year. LT/Turner, play-action to Gates, shutdown defense. Rivers is ready if you fall behind, but play Martyball as long as you can. Throw all that out and unleash Rivers early in the Superbowl.

Kaeding is a worry though -- he goes Byun-yun Kim on another big kick after '04 and he might not be able to recover....

And yes, I'm a big-time homer who lived Air Coryell during my football formative years. I had a Humphries -to-Martin moment when Jackson caught that ball last week...

I'm looking for KC to overcome all odds and make the playoffs, then run the table and win the whole thing.

Should this happen, I pledge to be the Most Annoying Huddler in the history of this message board. You can bank on that.

You'll have a long way to go to catch Ugly Tuna.

I'm looking for KC to overcome all odds and make the playoffs, then run the table and win the whole thing.

Should this happen, I pledge to be the Most Annoying Huddler in the history of this message board. You can bank on that.

Gotta' love the honesty!

The Achilles heel for the Chargers is Rivers. He has played well this year, but I can just see a down performance in the playoffs.

:D Yeah, but the Steelers showed last year that you can win a Superbowl without a quarterback.

( :D Just kidding, no more emails please, just an irresistible slow pitch that needed to be hit)

:D Yeah, but the Steelers showed last year that you can win a Superbowl without a quarterback.

( :D Just kidding, no more emails please, just an irresistible slow pitch that needed to be hit)

[borat]very nice[\borat]

( :tup: Just kidding, no more emails please, just an irresistible slow pitch that needed to be hit)

:bash: 15-yard penalty for "Piling On" (do they even call that any more?)

:clap:

• 3 weeks later...