[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A void or not?

skylive5

You think that leaving FF would leave a void in ones life?

After playing seriously for the last 20 years...having a max of 14 leagues and a min of 4 leagues each year..(not counting contests etc)... I am not sure that it will.

Won the SB in my longtime league this year, even though I was the #4 seed against the #1 seed, who had ChadJ and Tomlinson, in my first PO game.

Was part of a group that finished 14th (and in the money) in WCOFF.

Made the PO's in 2 of my 4 leagues. (Not counting WCOFF.)

So this past year was pretty much successful on the FF front. Definitely made lots of money for sure. And you can't beat the satisfaction of being a SB Champ.

I will be keeping one league because I meet my obligations and that league is a lifetime committment. But for all practical purposes I am out of FF. Will all this free time that is about to occur cause a void in my life? I don't think so. My purpose for playing is no longer valid and it just isn't enjoyable anymore.

I'm not going anywhere..... just no longer the avid FF player I have been these last two decades. I don't think I will miss it.

I think this type of an attitude is from being involved in multiple leagues for so long. I believe you will find ONE league much more enjoyable.

Last year was a difficult one for me as well ... I was very busy and just didn't have the time to spend on my leagues. That meant after a certain point in several leagues I was basically going through the motions (in a half hearted manner).

I wish you well in your semi-retirement from FF.

One league is very enjoyable. Been playing in just one league (the same one) for over 10 years now. You will still get your FF fix and have more time to enjoy the finer things in life,.....like going to yawning festivals.

Part of the enjoyment for me with FF is that I get to root for players whom would otherwise have no bearing my my NFL enjoyment. Knowing I can watch a Browns/Bucs game and actually have a rooting interest makes my overall NFL season much more enjoyable.

That being said, I went from being in just one league for many years to being involved in four leagues last year, and my enjoyment level plummetted. Not only was it a strain on my time and energy, but I found I could not root for my own players since, by law of averages, I had to root against them in other leagues.

This year, I decided to participate in just two leagues, and FF became fun again. Though there were times I found myself rooting for/against the same players during the same weeks, those instances were far less frequent. I think this alone had a lot to do with getting my FF fire back.

I think it was a good diea for you to lower your committment. But I don't think you'll spend considerably less time on FF.....I imagine if you are like me, you'll put 100% of your energy into one team, rather than 10% of your energy in 10 different teams.

Sky I know the feeling, I have to make decision soon for myself.

Sky I know the feeling, I have to make decision soon for myself.

This thread is a reincarnation of a similar one almost exactly a year ago. It's almost like post-partum depression. :D

I think the loss in GL was real bad for you, Nick, but the mark of a competitor is to get up and fight back.

This thread is a reincarnation of a similar one almost exactly a year ago. It's almost like post-partum depression. :D

I think the loss in GL was real bad for you, Nick, but the mark of a competitor is to get up and fight back.

I will stay in Gen Lost and my local for sure, there are some others I need to think about. To many leagues+ less fun.

I really don't want y'all to get off on the wrong track here.... I don't need a FF fix or need FF at all. I'm not burnt out on FF either. One or fourteen didn't matter... my level of committment was high to each and every one. I'm retired for cryin' out loud.... I have loads of time. LOL

This statement in my post starter should have said it all:

"My purpose for playing is no longer valid ..."

I never played to be part of a group, or because the group lived locally, or even for the pure enjoyment of the game. I played for a completely different purpose and that purpose is no longer valid... so there is no reason for me to continue.

Besides.... I have passed on my FF competitiveness to my son and one of my granddaughters. Time for me to just help them along and retire from the competitive field.

Don't think that I don't appreciate the comments....I do. That's why I am not going anywhere. I'll be here like a bad penny. :D

The original question: Do you think it would leave a void in your life?

I will stay in Gen Lost and my local for sure, there are some others I need to think about. To many leagues+ less fun.

I dunno, I think success is the key.

2005 - 6 leagues, 1 lost Superbowl, 5 failures to reach playoffs - ready to quit FF.

2006 - 7 leagues, 2 won Superbowls, 3 other playoffs reached, only 2 playoff failures - can't wait for 2007.

:D

Got to say.. if you are no longer enjoying it there needs to be a change. Some changes are less drastic than others. LOL I'm sure you will find a middle ground somewhere in there that will bring back your enjoyment.

This statement in my post starter should have said it all:

"My purpose for playing is no longer valid ..."

But you never said what that was. If it's private, that is to be respected of course.

My answer: Yes, but a small one and then probably only temporary. Also, it's not irrevocable - sabbaticals are good too. :D

We talked a little about this at WCOFF and I respect your decision.

Would it leave a void?

Frankly I wish I could reverse the calendar. I take classes in the Fall and not in the winter, weather mainly. FF and taking classes at the same time is consuming and would rather they were on opposite seasons. So in a way the answer is YES, but I could fill my time other ways, but for now I choose not.

You know dang well how to get ahold of me my friend! :bash: And how the heck are you? You were supposed to have the wife get back to me..... I've been worried.

She's been swamped. Sorry.

Working from home this week and checking in before a nap. I think I'm better now at least getting better. Hoping to go back to work next Tuesday. I think I want to do some kind of exercise in 2007 but not sure what. I need to gain some weight too. My gut area still looks gross and is a little sore but overall I'm glad I got things done. :D

And if it ends up creating a void, let me know. I am positive we can round up 10 others in a flash for 2008.

She's been swamped.

With you home I have no doubt about that. LOL

Working from home this week and checking in before a nap. I think I'm better now at least getting better. Hoping to go back to work next Tuesday. I think I want to do some kind of exercise in 2007 but not sure what. I need to gain some weight too. My gut area still looks gross and is a little sore but overall I'm glad I got things done. :bash:

Heck, you needed to gain weight in 2005... I can't even imagine what you look like now. Glad that you are doing better though... now start doing great!

And if it ends up creating a void, let me know. I am positive we can round up 10 others in a flash for 2008.

:clap: How well I know that. But don't be holdin' your breath.... won't be joining in on any leagues again.

:D back at ya ...

I've wondered about that too... if I were to give it up would there be a void?

I honestly don't think so. I think it would be like some other things in my life that I have moved on from... like now when I see on the local news how my High School football team is doing, I get a little twinge of nostalgia remembering the good times when I used to play. It's not a void... its just a fond memory of something that I was a part of.

I think that's what it will be like when I finally give up FF. During the Sunday games I will probably feel a little twinge of nostalgia, and then I'll go about enjoying whatever it is I'm currently involved in.

I've been thinking about this alot as well, sky. And I have decided to drop almost all of mine. I'll keep my local redraft for sure, and I'll probably keep my dynasty.

I'm pretty sure it won't leave a void; rather I think I will enjoy football more without having to worry about all these player combinations. (having and going against the same players)

And with the young boy, I'm finding I just don't care about it any more. Professional sports in general are leaving a bad taste in my mouth right now, and I have half a mind to just leave ALL of my leagues.

No void for me.

My take: If you scale back or quit FF because other things in your life are a priority, you've made an informed decision based on the set of circumstances at that time. You have prioritized your time/energy/interests and that which falls to the bottom of the list is dropped off the list with no regrets. I might be heading in this exact direction.

I find that the most satisfying part of FF is the preparation for the draft and the draft itself, however I'm just not enamored with watching all the games and routing for my players anymore. I do have the NFL ticket and TIVO and used to carve out "Hugh" chunks of time on Sundays to watch all or parts of many games, but I find that I would much rather spend time with my 2 year old daughter and my wife than in front of the TV watching my NFL ticket. (Hopefuly and 2nd child on the way soon) I can tell you that I will cancel my NFL ticket subscription next year as I barely watched any games other than my home town favorites the 49ers (I drafted Gore!). For the first time in 10+ years I have considered taking a FF break....If I feel the same way after next year it just might happen.