[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So Who Is Getting Fired After Week 17?

Vote Quimby2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People often say that but is it true? Given Cowher isn't living particularly large, I would have thought having a minimum $20m or so in the bank would make it dead easy.

Yeah, I don't exactly envision the Chin blingin' up the wife, filling the hot tub with Cristal, and rollin' in a Hummer limo.

Edited by Chavez

People often say that but is it true? Given Cowher isn't living particularly large, I would have thought having a minimum $20m or so in the bank would make it dead easy.

I agree and I'm sure he has the bank to do it. Wouldn't be tough for me...hell, I'd do it for much less than having $20M banked away. :D

Fired? Here's the most likely candidates I would guess:

1. Shell

2. Green

3. Crennell

4. Coughlin

5. Mora

6. Marinelli

I'm assuming the following will leave their present position:

Cowher

Fisher

Parcells

Gibbs

I wonder how much longer these guys get a free pass:

Dungy

Gruden

Del Rio

Fox

Edited by godtomsatan

1. Shell

2. Green

3. Crennell

4. Coughlin

5. Mora

6. Marinelli

I'm assuming the following will leave their present position:

Cowher

Fisher

Parcells

Gibbs

I wonder how much longer these guys get a free pass:

Dungy

Gruden

Del Rio

Fox

I agree with the majority of these, but I don't see how Marinelli can be fired with the lack of talent on that team. Crennell has no QB, and the defense and O line took major hits. I think Jack Del Rio has overachieved with the Jags, so why would he be getting a free pass? Jeff Fisher would have his pick of any available job in the league.

Gibbs is on the first thing smoking out of DC as soon as the Deadskins lose their final game. Bye Bye. The only question is, who will Daniel Snyder bring in this time. Maybe he will dig up the late George Allen as he couldnt do any worse than the last 3 or 4 coaches have...

Name yer bet, schtick boy. Or zip yer yap. :D

Edited by skins

Don't want to bet with you, skins, but it's pretty clear to me that the 'Skins will find a way to let Gibbs leave with at least some dignity intact if they can.

Well that wouldnt be now.

He said two weeks ago he is coming back next year and that he intends to fulfill his contract. Unlike many, Gibbs doesnt play games. He will leave on his own terms at a time of his choosing, not Snyder's, and I am positive it wont be after this hideous season.

But if anyone thinks I am wrong, they should name their bet.

Talk about pressure. Whoever comes in will be following Chuck Knoll & Bill Cowher, who have been the only two coaches since 1969. :D

Wow . That is pretty amazing in this day and age.. :D

Jeff Fisher isnt going anywhere.

How are you so sure of this? To my knowledge, they still haven't inked him to another contract. The owner pretty much gave him the shaft this year, and even though Vince Young appears to be working out well, I still don't think he was Fisher's guy to begin with.

The Raiders need Fisher in the worst, worst way. If Fisher does stay at Tennessee, I hope he makes them pay through the nose to keep him.

1. Shell

Unlikely. Al would keep him for no other reason than to do exactly NOT what NFL Net said he would. Sides, as bad as the Offense is, he DID turn that Dense around into one of the best in the league. Sowe got that goin for us (in my best Carl Spackler voice). I bet Al gives him another year, let's him clear out some of the undesirables from the locker room and try again with that Offense.

This has not been brought up anywhere I am aware of, but I think Marty's days with San Diego are numbered.

IF he wins the Superbowl, he may retire. If he doesn't, he could get fired. There are not a lot of warm and fuzzys between him and AJ Smith. They rarely talk and it is the biggest disconnect currently with the team.

Schotty's shtick only goes so far with a team before they start to implode. Look at the Chiefs under Marty. They had a total meltdown his last season.

Cam Cameron is one of the young, bright minds of the NFL right now and I would HATE to see him go somewhere else! He should be promoted to the HC job and Marty should be allowed to ride off into the sun set. To throw him a bone, Phillips should be promoted to Assistant HC. He does not seem to be considered, though often interviewed for HC positions, so the Bolts should reward him as well.

I fear letting Cameron go would repeat the history of Coryell's Chargers. The year before Coryell hangs 'em up, Gibbs, then the AHC and rising coaching star, goes to the Redskins and, well, the rest is history! They should latch on to the rising young talent now. Marty is gone in the next few seasons anyway.

Edited by McBoog

How are you so sure of this? To my knowledge, they still haven't inked him to another contract. The owner pretty much gave him the shaft this year, and even though Vince Young appears to be working out well, I still don't think he was Fisher's guy to begin with.

The Raiders need Fisher in the worst, worst way. If Fisher does stay at Tennessee, I hope he makes them pay through the nose to keep him.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Bud Adams loves Fisher and even if they had gone 4-12, Fisher would have kept his job. Actually, Fisher has 1 more year left on his current contract and Adams has already said that he would give Fisher an extension after this season. How exactly did Adams give Fisher the "shaft" this year? You guys with horrible coaches are just having some wishful thinking in hopes that you will grab a good coach like Fisher. Well, give it up because it aint happening.

On a side note, rumors are still swirling that GM Floyd Reese is gone at the end of the season. I have no idea if that is true or not but signs are certainly pointing in that direction.

I agree with the majority of these, but I don't see how Marinelli can be fired with the lack of talent on that

team.

2 wins does not equate job security, especially if a new boss is brought in.

Crennell has no QB, and the defense and O line took major hits.

Yes, but there is regression going on, I don't know if there's a positive working relationship going on there. I'm don't mean to say these guys WILL get fired, as much to speculate that they probably are going to have some serious evaluation as to what's going on. Crennel seems like he would be a good coach given his pedigree, and Charlie Frye seemed to be turning a corner of some sort, but the Browns got whupped on at home by a Tampa Bay squad that two weeks ago looked as bad as the Oakland Raiders.

I think Jack Del Rio has overachieved with the Jags, so why would he be getting a free pass?

Overachieved? I would classify the Jags as underachievers. The same team that pastes the Jets by 41 and the Colts by 27, is the same team that gets beat by Houston twice? I don't watch them particularly closely, mind you, but this is a team that has playoff caliber talent on its roster.

Jeff Fisher would have his pick of any available job in the league.

Absolutely, but there's talk he wants to leave. Mind you this was before the season got turned around.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Bud Adams loves Fisher and even if they had gone 4-12, Fisher would have kept his job. Actually, Fisher has 1 more year left on his current contract and Adams has already said that he would give Fisher an extension after this season. How exactly did Adams give Fisher the "shaft" this year? You guys with horrible coaches are just having some wishful thinking in hopes that you will grab a good coach like Fisher. Well, give it up because it aint happening.

On a side note, rumors are still swirling that GM Floyd Reese is gone at the end of the season. I have no idea if that is true or not but signs are certainly pointing in that direction.

Oh really? I seem to recall some serious dissagreement between Fisher and Adams concerning the treatment and subsequent release of McNair. I don't think that Fisher staying with the Titans is as much a slam dunk as you think it is, that's all.

Looks like Spain is right. Just reported on ESPN, that Tenn. is excercising the option on Fisher. I believe that means he's staying.

Oh really? I seem to recall some serious dissagreement between Fisher and Adams concerning the treatment and subsequent release of McNair. I don't think that Fisher staying with the Titans is as much a slam dunk as you think it is, that's all.

Fisher wasnt happy with the way McNair was treated but I never saw where he blamed Bud Adams. And Fisher knew all along that the salary cap would prevent them from signing McNair so he understood that part of it. So, I am confused about where you saw this rift between Adams and Fisher. I have never seen it. Again, you said that Adams gave Fisher "the shaft" this season and I am trying to figure out what you meant by that.

Found this online:

By Jim Wyatt, The Tennessean

The Titans plan to exercise the option on coach Jeff Fisher's contract in the coming days, then continue discussions with him on a long-term deal at season's end, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Fisher signed a contract extension prior to the 2003 season, at which time a team option for 2007 was added.

By exercising the option, the Titans keep Fisher under contract and buy time to negotiate a long-term deal. The Titans have until Sunday to officially exercise the option.

Fisher has made $5 million this season.

The Titans are also expected to exercise the one-year options for offensive coordinator Norm Chow and defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

Neither Titans owner Bud Adams nor Fisher could be reached for comment Thursday night. Earlier this month Adams said he planned to lock up the coach with a multiyear deal.

"Jeff isn't going anywhere," Adams said. "We will have a deal with him."

Fisher, now in his 12th full season as head coach, is 110-96. He has more wins than any other coach in the history of the franchise.

Last year he became the 34th NFL coach (10th active) to reach 100 wins. He is one of 17 coaches to do so with just one team.

In 1999 Fisher coached the Titans to the Super Bowl and led them to the playoffs four times in five years from 1999-2003.

The Titans (8-7) started 0-5 this season but are riding a six-game win streak heading into Sunday's regular season finale against the Patriots.

"This has been a very challenging year for the staff, but it's also been a very fun year because the players make it fun," Fisher said this week. "The players are result oriented. When we emphasize an area we get results, and they see it.

"Everybody, after two or three weeks, just said we'd be lucky to win a couple of games, but that wasn't our feeling to start the season."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Titans, smartly, exercised the OPTION year of this contract, which only means that for now, Fisher is signed through the 2007 season. The market for Fisher is high right now, and he probably will be in the same boat this time next season, so for him to sign a long-term contract now without knowing what other teams would give him just wouldn't be smart. He holds all the cards, as I see it.

So, for now, congrats. You got him for one more year at least.

Well that wouldnt be now.

He said two weeks ago he is coming back next year and that he intends to fulfill his contract. Unlike many, Gibbs doesnt win games. He will leave on his own terms at a time of his choosing, not Snyder's, and I am positive it wont be after this hideous season.

But if anyone thinks I am wrong, they should name their bet.

fixed

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the following gone, for one reason or another, after this season:

Coughlin

Shell

Marinelli

Del Rio

Mora

Green

Gruden

Cowher

Gibbs

Parcells

Childress

Saban

Holmgren

Some may retire, some may get canned or some might move up to a FO position. Certainly there are some reaches here but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surpised.

The Titans, smartly, exercised the OPTION year of this contract, which only means that for now, Fisher is signed through the 2007 season. The market for Fisher is high right now, and he probably will be in the same boat this time next season, so for him to sign a long-term contract now without knowing what other teams would give him just wouldn't be smart. He holds all the cards, as I see it.

So, for now, congrats. You got him for one more year at least.

When do you see NFL coaches doing this? Its not like they are players who hit the free agent market. So, it is your contention that Fisher wont sign a multi-million dollar extension, just so he can go test the free agent market like a player? Is that really what you are saying here or are you just talking out of your ass again with absolutely no clue about what you speak?

When do you see NFL coaches doing this? Its not like they are players who hit the free agent market. So, it is your contention that Fisher wont sign a multi-million dollar extension, just so he can go test the free agent market like a player? Is that really what you are saying here or are you just talking out of your ass again with absolutely no clue about what you speak?

Being a Titans fan, you are too emotional about this situation to look at it from a business point of view: Fisher is in a unique situation, in that even if the Titans were to go 4-12 next season, he would still be the #1 coaching prospect for other teams to consider. You don't think that if Parcells were to quit next year, that Jerry Jones wouldn't throw Fisher a gazillion dollars to coach in Dallas? Or Snyder in Washington?

I'm not trying to argue with you---I'm only trying to point out that Fisher holds all the advantage in this deal, and if I were him, I would not sign a long-term contract this year, but would wait until the end of next season and see what my options would be.

Being a Titans fan, you are too emotional about this situation to look at it from a business point of view: Fisher is in a unique situation, in that even if the Titans were to go 4-12 next season, he would still be the #1 coaching prospect for other teams to consider. You don't think that if Parcells were to quit next year, that Jerry Jones wouldn't throw Fisher a gazillion dollars to coach in Dallas? Or Snyder in Washington?

I'm not trying to argue with you---I'm only trying to point out that Fisher holds all the advantage in this deal, and if I were him, I would not sign a long-term contract this year, but would wait until the end of next season and see what my options would be.

Trust me, I understand the business point of view, I have just never seen the scenario that you describe played out by head coaches in the NFL. I dont deny that if Fisher were to be fired this morning, his agent would receive a half a dozen calls this afternoon from various teams. Fisher is well respected around the league and would no doubt get another shot basically wherever he wanted to go. That said, I cant ever recall a situation where a coach that wants to remain in his current position, refuses to sign a multi-million dollar contract just so he could test the "free agent" market. Obviously, if he was unhappy in his job and didnt want to commit to another few years, then he wouldnt sign it. But refusing to sign just to see if he can could get paid more money by another NFL team is basically unprecedented. Can you name a time or two that that has happened?

Skilly & spain,

I have read several times that Fisher is VERY unhappy working with Reese. My understanding is that it's one or the other after this season. Maybe Skilly just got his wires crossed, when he thought the rift was between Fisher & Adams?

And spain, I too have heard rumblings that Reese is likely gone after this season, which I think points to two things...

#1) There is probably truth to the scuttlebutt of Fisher not getting along with Reese.

#2) Adams lets Reese go, which shows his confidence in Fisher & Chow.

With Reese out of the Titans FO, I think Adams likely redefines the scope of control / power over the team between the HC & GM positions, favoring more autonomy for the HC position, thus increasing the likelihood of Fisher signing a long term contract with the Titans.

Pure speculation on my part, but that's how I see it.

Oh!

Jim Mora Jr gets to go pursue his dream coaching job at the University of Washington.