[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach of the Year

gilthorp

Payton is the obvious #2, but I have to go with Fisher here, regardless of the Titans' playoff situation. I really don't think any other coach in the NFL could have had this team playing this well. He somehow found a way to build confidence where there was very little.

That said, it is really hard to make any kind of argument against Payton. Both coaches used new impact players which neither can take credit for finding. This would be a very ideal situation for a co-winner. I think in the end Jeff Fisher will get it simply because the Titans were SO BAD just a few months ago.

I don't think the obvious (Payton) is really so obvious. While it certainly takes a very good offensive scheme to produce the amount of points the Saints offense has produced this season, he also has a full arsenal of weapons. In my mind there are two other coaches who come to mind for coach of the year:

Brian Billick: Fires O-coordinator mid-season and has his team with a chance at homefield throughout the playoffs. Over-the-hill combo of Ray Ray/McNair has been riding on fumes since week 9 (presumably) and they could secure homefield??!!?! That shiznit be crazy. Props coach Billick :D

Andy Reid: The obvious is his genius off-season signing of "Air, 'I'm not gay' Garcia". But bottom line, this guy just knows how to run a football team. Losing key players and making the playoffs is a sign of great coaching, IMO. This guy can coach some football.

Edited by Brentastic

How can people say Payton is a lock? He has done a great job, don't get me wrong. But the NFC is garbage for the most part. Mangini though is in the AFC and just by my guess I would imagine has played the tougher schedule. I love Payton, he is a Chicago boy, but I don't think it's clearcut. I would no doubt give props to Andy Reid. This team was DEAD and it can win the division now. I would argue they are better than the Saints.

My vote does go to Payton though. Just playing the other side though. I see it being close.

How can people say Payton is a lock? He has done a great job, don't get me wrong. But the NFC is garbage for the most part. Mangini though is in the AFC and just by my guess I would imagine has played the tougher schedule. I love Payton, he is a Chicago boy, but I don't think it's clearcut. I would no doubt give props to Andy Reid. This team was DEAD and it can win the division now. I would argue they are better than the Saints.

My vote does go to Payton though. Just playing the other side though. I see it being close.

Jets have played 5 teams with a winning record.

New England X2 Lost a close one, won a close one

Indianapolis Lost a close one

Jacksonville Got blown out

Chicago Lost

Tenn Won....barely....against a terrible team in week one

The Saints played 4 teams with a winning record.

Eagles Won a close one

Ravens Lost by 2 scores

Bengals Lost and got beat down

Cowboys Won and handily against the overrated cowboys

Looks pretty close if you ask me.

1. Payton(he is as close to a lock as there is in this league)

2. Mangini(close 2nd and I am really impressed with him)

3. Fisher (This team was dead at 0-5 and he turned them around along with VY)

4. Reid(everybody had them written off, but a gay qB and tough D were enoug).

If I could vote it would be Mangini in a close race over Payton. Mangini has simply done more with less and I really feel like the Jets are smoke and mirrors. Payton on the other hand has a ton of offensive talent and put it to good use in a great system.

Fisher has always been a very good underated coach but the Titans success is really linked to Vince Young who better get ROY hands down.

If I could vote it would be Fisher hands down. It is easy to coach a team that has plenty of talent..but the Titans are not a very talented team . many coaches would of had their team quit on them after the Titans horrible start...but Fisher has kept them playing( and playing well) right to the end.

I like Payton..but he would come in 3rd behind Mangini in my book.

I guess this really is a no brainer this year, right?

If I had a vote, I would have a hard time choosing between Payton in New Orleans and Fisher in Tennesee.

Perhaps Mangini, Shotty, and Smith should get some votes too.

+1 Took over a historically bad 3-13 team and brought them to playoffs his first year. Enough said.

I guess this really is a no brainer this year, right?

If I had a vote, I would have a hard time choosing between Payton in New Orleans and Fisher in Tennesee.

Perhaps Mangini, Shotty, and Smith should get some votes too.

1A - I like Fisher as well! Unbelievable turn around, and that comes from the coaching staff after an 0-5 start!

1B - Then Payton with the obsticals in NO that go beyond the field.

The Shotty corner is valid as well. As Hat Trick and others on these boards are so quick to point out, he has made his average group of overachievers and a loose cannon first year QB a #1 seed in the AFC :D

I actually hope they let Marty go and promote Cameron to HC. I could see him going somewhere else and history repeating itself with a Joe Gibbs scenario. (Gibbs was Coryell's O coord and assistand HC before going to Washington).

If Vick is a coach killer, is LT a coach saver? :D

Edited by McBoog

I agree with this order. :D

Agreed

Fisher. Payton reminds me of Vermeil. Had that one cinderella season, with Warner, Faulk and the best Wr tandem in the league. Though Payton doesnt have the Wr Tandem, he has an equally good QB, and the best RB due in the league by far.

Fisher has taken a team with lil talent outside of this past yrs #1 draft pick and last yrs #1 Vy and Pac-Man jones, and turned them into winners, as soon as VY took over.