[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

worst team to win a Superbowl?

Bier Meister

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Broncos that got annihilated 55 - 10 by the 49ers? Yes, the 49ers were great, but 55 - 10 in a superbowl?

that 9er team may be the best winner (at minimum, worthy of discussion).......

that year they rolled:

min 41-13 (11th ranked offense, 6th ranked d- #2 vs the pass)

rams 30-3 (2nd ranked offense, 17th d)

den 55-10 (9th offense, #1 d)

edit: montana was 17/24- 241- 4-0 vs min

26/30-262-2-0 vs stl

22/29- 297-5-0 vs den

Edited by Bier Meister

Well to be fair it slikely to be teams when there were 32 teams in the league, due to diluted talent pool.

I would venture 06 Steelers, or 02 Pats as the worst winners.

For worst losers: 01 giants, 95 chargers or 99 falcons.

that year they rolled:

26/30-262-2-0 vs stl

22/29- 297-5-0 vs den

True

that year they rolled:

26/30-262-2-0 vs stl

22/29- 297-5-0 vs den

I love the Niners. If only Montana and Rice could live forever young... They'd still be dominating every team today.

Can someone pls explain Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian this thread is supposed to be about, TIA

On a guess that it's about the worst "champ" I would nominate the Bucs and Ravens and our current champ.

Edited by BeeR

Well since it's titled "worst team to win a SB" and then you start out with

"new england (vs chi)

rams (vs pit)"

yeah it was a bit confusing. FYI they did not win those games.

you may have missed the subtitle.............

so listed who i thought may have been the worst to win.

then separated it from a couple who made it that weren't great sb reps who lost

pit had a very good team last year. do i think they deserved the win? no, but that has less to do with their team and the teams' ability.

offense was 9th in scoring

d was 3rd in PA

i don't think this team is close to being the worst

I'd agree. Every pundit worth his salt swings his dick about how great the AFC is, and last year's Steeler team was a solid team that took ALL the hot AFC picks down. Their SB performance was less than stellar, but still managed to take down a very good Seattle team.*

*asterisk here is to avoid derailing the thread by mentioning they certainly had some favorable calls and benefited from Holmgren choking once again in a SB

From the thread title, I think he's looking for some of the worst to reach the SB as well :D

The 90 Giants played INSANELY over their head; that team made Parcells' rep, not the loaded '86 NYG team.

Worst team to lose - NE against the Bears.

I dunno, that team was 10th/9th (total pts/yds) in offense and 6th/5th on defense, had 8 Pro Bowlers - pretty solid. (just looked it up, I was suprised myself)

I think the problem is they were a very good team that ran into what is considered to be one of 2 or 3 Perfect Storms in NFL history - those 85 Bears coulda/woulda/shoulda blown out damn near ANYBODY.

The 90 Giants played INSANELY over their head; that team made Parcells' rep, not the loaded '86 NYG team.

WIDE RIGHT!!!

They had a great team that year. They started off 9-0 if I remember. The week 11 Monday Night game against the 49ers was billed as Super Bowl XXIV1/2. But they both lost in week 10 to ruin the matchup of unbeatens. The only reason they were such big underdogs that postseason was because Simms got hurt late in the year. Hostetler came in and they didn't miss a beat. You've got to give them credit for beating a great 49er team in SF for the NFC Championship and shutting down the unstoppable no-huddle offense of Jim Kelly and the Bills. They may not have been as exciting as the 86 team, but they had the formula to win a championship. A great defense and a mistake free, clock controlling offense. I think they may be the only team to average less than 1 turnover a game for the entire season.

I dunno, that team was 10th/9th (total pts/yds) in offense and 6th/5th on defense, had 8 Pro Bowlers - pretty solid. (just looked it up, I was suprised myself)

I think the problem is they were a very good team that ran into what is considered to be one of 2 or 3 Perfect Storms in NFL history - those 85 Bears coulda/woulda/shoulda blown out damn near ANYBODY.

That's true. Like others I wanted Miami in the SB again.

I can't recall what teams were like 25+ years ago so these are done based on statistics.

Worst to win:

1980 Oakland Raiders (11-5)

Offensive Rank - pts: # 7, yds:#15

Defensive Rank - pts: #10, yds: #14

There was no clear dominant team in the AFC that year. Five teams were tied for the best record at 11-5.

Worst to lose:

1979 Los Angeles Rams (9-7)

Offensive Rank - pts: # 15, yds:#10

Defensive Rank - pts: #11, yds: #8

They won a very weak NFC West. Were 5-6 then went on to win 4 of their last 5, all against teams that ended the season .500 or worse.

Edited by sunysteelfly76