[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should Shanwe Merriman be able to win D POY award

Sgt. Ryan

Pulled this off the Chargers Message board for further Charger and fan support for Shawne.

"It's what Shawne did DURING his suspension that I think makes him a better role model. He went to Lousiana and places struck by the hurricane and BUILT SHELTERS for those who didn't have any. Built homes for people dying. He did this while his team played without him."

Merriman wasn't allowed to be with the team so he spent his time helping people. He's not a bad guy. He does a lot of charitable work in the DC area where he's from and runs an annual coat drive. He does charitable work in SD as well.

Not to get off topic, because he was suspended for a league violation. He's not going to be awarded DPOY. Taylor's going to win in a landslide so those concerned about that don't need to be. Merriman is a workout warrior and what he's done since his return and dominating the game while regularly coming up clean on post-suspension tests should lend some credence that his accomplishments prior to that were not all based on steriods. This guy has talent. He will continue to excel if he can stay healthy. Plus, he's a locker room leader, the guys love him, and he's great for team morale. They've all got his back.

Merriman paid his dues with the 4-game suspension and tarnished image. Now, he's back to trying to rebuild it. He's an awesome player and a game-changer. I love the way he plays the game and the emotion he shows on the field. He's a leader and he will NOT make the same mistake again.

IMO, he deserves to be in the Pro Bowl. He leads the league in sacks playing in 4 less games than others. He dominates at the line of scrimmage and forces teams to scheme for him. He forces fumbles and INTs with the pressure he puts on the QB. I believe Jason Taylor should be Defensive POY, but I don't think he needs to get political and denegrate his competition to try to make himself look better.

And as far as Demarcus Ware, yes, he's a good player who's had a solid sesason, but I'll take Merriman over him any day, hands down. It's almost as if the purpose of this post was similar to Jason Taylor's, but instead of diminishing Merriman to make Taylor look better, part of it is to diminish Merriman to make Ware look better.

Im not comparing Merriman to ware. There is no comparison. Merriman is a cocky POS that got caught juicing and should be banned from the game, forever.

Pulled this off the Chargers Message board for further Charger and fan support for Shawne.

"It's what Shawne did DURING his suspension that I think makes him a better role model. He went to Lousiana and places struck by the hurricane and BUILT SHELTERS for those who didn't have any. Built homes for people dying. He did this while his team played without him."

Merriman wasn't allowed to be with the team so he spent his time helping people. He's not a bad guy. He does a lot of charitable work in the DC area where he's from and runs an annual coat drive. He does charitable work in SD as well.

Not to get off topic, because he was suspended for a league violation. He's not going to be awarded DPOY. Taylor's going to win in a landslide so those concerned about that don't need to be. Merriman is a workout warrior and what he's done since his return and dominating the game while regularly coming up clean on post-suspension tests should lend some credence that his accomplishments prior to that were not all based on steriods. This guy has talent. He will continue to excel if he can stay healthy. Plus, he's a locker room leader, the guys love him, and he's great for team morale. They've all got his back.

Dude took steriods, and will forever be tainted just like Barry Bonds will be in baseball. It looks like he has a great PR team, to try and get some respectabily back, but Im not buying it. Just listen to him speak. He is cocky as hell, and cheated to put up the stats he put up. How embarassing, to get caught cheating at your job, and the whole world knows about it.

Dude took steriods, and will forever be tainted just like Barry Bonds will be in baseball. It looks like he has a great PR team, to try and get some respectabily back, but Im not buying it. Just listen to him speak. He is cocky as hell, and cheated to put up the stats he put up. How embarassing, to get caught cheating at your job, and the whole world knows about it.

That's true but being cocky and taking them doesn't make him a thug. The Bonds comparison is wrong because he didn't lie to a grand jury as Barry did.

I never heard anything about him being a thug or character issues. In fact, we do not even know what he got busted for. He made a mistake. His stats this year aren't really a valid indicator as to how good he is. If he doesn't do it again - I don't think that anything should be held against him in future years. Clean sleight and all.

Comparrisons to Barry Bonds are silly. I mean if he blew away the sack record this year and was found to be juicing - than there are mild similarities. If he played like that for 10 years and was found to be juicing all those years - than yes - there are similarities. Sgt Ryan is just and angry cramuggen. I'd love to have Merriman on my team.

I never heard anything about him being a thug or character issues. In fact, we do not even know what he got busted for. He made a mistake. His stats this year aren't really a valid indicator as to how good he is. If he doesn't do it again - I don't think that anything should be held against him in future years. Clean sleight and all.

I haven't either. As a kid he worked 2 parttime jobs to help support his family. The Chargers liked him because they thought he was mature.

He said the right things after getting caught. I hope they test him more to see if he was telling the truth.

One other point of note... Does anyone recall that Julius Peppers won DROY in 2002 despite violating the league's substance abuse policy and serving a 4-game suspension? Seems like such an occurrence would've set precedence, and if the NFL truly thought this was a mistake, they would've changed their policies to preclude such players from winning awards. Julius Peppers has restored his image and I hope Merriman will do the same.

...Sure, he has more sacks than anyone else with 4 less games: he was on freakin' steroids while doing it!!!

WRONG...! :D

Because of the controversy it would cause, he should NOT win DOP this year, though his play on the field warrants consideration. Champ Bailey gets my vote.

Taylor may have a point, but he has crossed the line as a player and it looks VERY self-serving. It could be held against him as well. STUPID thing for him to do!

Bingo. It's not about whether he paid his debt, etc. It's about the fact that he achieved what he did while using a banned, performance-enhancing drug. His numbers were not achieved legally, so they shouldn't count for any awards. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Anyone remember what happened the season Julius Peppers was named Defensive Rookie of the Year? How soon we forget!

First of all, Merriman was NOT juiced DURING the season. He peed hot in August

Merriman tested positive for the steroid nandrolone in August. While he maintains he was the victim of a tainted over-the-counter supplement, he served a four-game suspension last month.
:D

The immediate follow-up test was clean and every test since then, including tests in August and before the regular season started were clean.

:bash: to another related article.

Did he try to do an off-season regimen and not get it out of his system fast enough? Or did he get a tainted supply of supps that he has used for years? I don't know, neither do any of you!

Many of you have NO IDEA what he tested positive for. I can tell from your vitriol that the assumption is that he was mainlining some nuclear liquid in a dirty needle in some back ally. He was NOT injecting, and oral supps like nandrolone or any of the andros are mild in comparison and are not really worth the trouble they can cause a pro athlete. They generally have only subtle effects on the organism as a whole, though can be abused in mass doses, which usually causes diminished performance instead of enhancement. On the otherhand, these andros are excellent supplements for guys over 40 to help keep the hormone balance in order. The PC crowd has villianized male supplements because they are tied to the violent male aspect of our character, “Too macho for me to deal with!”. Depleted Testosterone levels lead to heart problems, depression, old man boobies and osteoporosis. Why is it “cool” for women to use the female hormone supplements, but it is taboo to even talk about these issues with men's health?

Several general managers and head coaches this week privately pooh-poohed his steroids test when contacted this week, pointing to his performance since returning.

Merriman is flamboyant, but not a thug. He is a really good guy for his old and new communities. I am willing to give him a second chance, but not for consideration this year for DOP. His peers and the coaches OBVIOUSLY thought it was not that big of a deal or he wouldn't be in the Pro Bowl. Why? Bcause they know the truth about what was taken and just how much it can help, which is minimally at best. Add to that he was clean the WHOLE SEASON!

...Anyone remember what happened the season Julius Peppers was named Defensive Rookie of the Year? How soon we forget!......

Just thought I'd pull this out of my longer post. It bears discussion in this thread!

He should not get the award, and he should not be going to the Pro Bowl. It sends the wrong message to todays youth. You can cheat, get a slap on the wrist, and then get paid for it, as I'm sure his contact is incentive laden, and I'm sure he is getting an extra check for the probowl and for this award should he get it. To me all his stats this season are tainted and should have an asteric beside them. I do not think that this should be held against him in the following years, unless we start looking at carreer stats for future HOF consideration.

I'd rather have guys like Michael Irvin with powder on thier noses in the HOF than guys that cheated. Regardless of what the guy says he cheated. The NFL has a list of approved supplements, and if he is taking anything that isn't on that list, then he cheated. To me it is as simple as that.