[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pro Bowl voting

i_am_the_swammi

While the Pro Bowl is esenetially a glorified popularity contest, many players have bonuses tied to their inclusion on the team. And if nothing else, I doubt their isn't a player in the NFL who doesn't feel honored when he is selected to the Pro Bowl as one of the best players at his position in the conference.

That being said, does anyone know why the Pro Bowl balloting is final in Week 13 of the regular season? Seems odd that, with 3 games remaining (20% of the season), the decisions are final.

I bring this up because yesterday, as I was listening to Sirius NFL Network, Adam Scheffler was almost apologizing for the inclusion of Tony Romo as an NFC representative. While Romo-fever was at a high just before the balloting (with valid reasons), there is no question he has since cooled off since. Thus, his numbrs at year end will be mediocre at best.

On the other hand, Jeff Garcia, who when the voting ended was 2-1 as a starter, is now 4-1, and in all likelihood, will end the season 5-1, with a higher QB rating, higher winning precentage, and significantly better TD/INT ratio (10/2 for Garcia vs. Romo's 17/12).

Scheffler went on unequivocally to say that if he had to cast his vote today, Garcia would be included over Romo.

Any thoughts? What valid reason is there to vote for the Pro Bowl 4 weeks before the season ends, and should it be changed?

Any thoughts? What valid reason is there to vote for the Pro Bowl 4 weeks before the season ends, and should it be changed?

Probably could wait a week or so but it's still better than the NBA and MLB, both of whom play their "Pro Bowl" halfway through the season. NBA voting begins before the season is even one quarter through.

Side note: the lack of decent seasons for most QBs is reflected in the argument over two guys who haven't even played half-seasons (Garcia, Romo) going to the Pro Bowl.

It should be held after the final week of the regular season, and only coaches and players should have a vote, if it is to be legitimate. You can say what you want to about T.O. and Roy Willimas (DET), but their numbers speak for themselves, and the both should have gotten in for the NFC. Unfortunately their images kept them out. Just like Romo's under dog image and living the American dream, being an undrafted FA that is now starting for America's Team and dating Jessica Simpson got him in.

The voting system is flawed. Letting fans vote is just wrong. I consider myself a pretty well informed fan. Hell I play in 13 fantasy leagues, over half of which are IDPs, and honestly when it comes to voting offensive linemen in, I know a few, by their play, and know many by name, but their are some that I simply don't know. Then look at defensive linemen. Is the guy that is getting all the sacks better than the guy getting all the double teams? I see the stats in the box score and on my fantasy teams, but you don't see the double teams unless you are watching the game and watching it closely. This is just one more reason fans shouldn't be voting. Add to that the small market vs large market arguement, and it is just ridiculous.

It should be held after the final week of the regular season, and only coaches and players should have a vote, if it is to be legitimate. You can say what you want to about T.O. and Roy Willimas (DET), but their numbers speak for themselves, and the both should have gotten in for the NFC. Unfortunately their images kept them out. Just like Romo's under dog image and living the American dream, being an undrafted FA that is now starting for America's Team and dating Jessica Simpson got him in.

The voting system is flawed. Letting fans vote is just wrong. I consider myself a pretty well informed fan. Hell I play in 13 fantasy leagues, over half of which are IDPs, and honestly when it comes to voting offensive linemen in, I know a few, by their play, and know many by name, but their are some that I simply don't know. Then look at defensive linemen. Is the guy that is getting all the sacks better than the guy getting all the double teams? I see the stats in the box score and on my fantasy teams, but you don't see the double teams unless you are watching the game and watching it closely. This is just one more reason fans shouldn't be voting. Add to that the small market vs large market arguement, and it is just ridiculous.

+1

The only reason I can think of is that it must be a logistics issue, having to make travel arrangements, printing up official Pro Bowl rosters and stuff, making spamshirts, stuff like that. It's stupid if you ask me.

IMO, players should be selected as "ALL PRO", but not play in some stupid exhibition game that means nothing, played in front of a bunch of Hawaiians that don't even have a team to call their own.

Just ask former Patriots rb Robert Edwards, whose career was ended by playing in a flag football "event" at the Pro Bowl where he tore his knee to shreds.

As for the NBA, MLB and NHL all star games being in the middle of the season......well, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see why the NFL rules them all!

Completely agree with this.

Minnesota's Pat Williams was the driving force behind one of the greatest run defenses in the history of the league. He was not voted to the Pro Bowl. That pretty much tells me that I never need to waste even an once of my energy (through voting or watching) on that game ever again.

I completely concur with Perch. The public vote should be only a very small percentage.

I also have a problem with certain stats being considered "better" than others...more consideration should be paid to the overall contribution of the player.

For example....Merriman. The "sack leader" has always held a "special place" in the hearts of football fans/writers, etc. But why? Because it's a flashy play? It's ONE down....just like any other down.

Why are Merriman's 16 sacks, but only 54 combined tackles MORE impressive than say....Bart Scott's 9.5 sacks and 99 combined tackles? SD and BALT both had good D's this year...but Merriman is joined by only one other teammate in the top 20 sack leaders. Bart got to the top 20 with THREE other teammates.....Suggs(8.5), Thomas(11) and Pryce(12).

Forget IDP FF points....if I were a coach, I'd rather have a player on my team who was involved in stopping 99 plays and played 16 games over a player who was involved in 54 and hurt my team by being suspended 4 games. Call me crazy. :D

Edited by SteelBunz

Realize that the voting is counted to be 1/3 fan vote, 1/3 player vote and 1/3 coaches vote so what ever the fans vote can be trumped by what the players and coaches think. That way it should remove some of the hype that fans would buy into.

Realize that the voting is counted to be 1/3 fan vote, 1/3 player vote and 1/3 coaches vote so what ever the fans vote can be trumped by what the players and coaches think. That way it should remove some of the hype that fans would buy into.

Yeah...agreed......but I don't think fan vote should count for even that much. 20% would be plenty. :D

Minnesota's Pat Williams was the driving force behind one of the greatest run defenses in the history of the league. He was not voted to the Pro Bowl. That pretty much tells me that I never need to waste even an once of my energy (through voting or watching) on that game ever again.

+1 (from a Packer fan)