[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Colts Fans

Big Red

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::D

I can't believe it took Big Red this long to bring this back up. He's been noticably absent from the boards since last year's season opener.

I'm not wading into these waters again. Should be fun to watch next weekend.

-The Browns/Colts situations are NOT THE SAME. Robert Irsay had every right to move his "property" in the 'Colts', but I argue didn't have the right to hijack the link the city of Baltimore had with the team. When Art Modell moved the Browns, he left the tradition in place. He left the uniforms, the history, everything so in the event a team was moved back into Cleveland they could resume as was.

-Please be reminded that Art Modell tried to buy back the Colts name, uniforms, and colors when Modell moved from Cleveland. In usual fashion on how Irsay handled his business, THE COLTS WERE for sale, for 25 million dollars. Irsay was looking to cash in as the colors and tradition really meant nothing to him, but Modell balked at the high price.

-The NFL bent over backward for Cleveland. The city of Cleveland had built Gund arena, the RandR HOF, and Jacobs Field while Modell was thinking the Browns were '5th fiddle'. I don't like the idea of city's being held hostage by wealthy owners, but this is how the game is played today. The poorous job by the Cleveland politicians was part of the reason Modell moved. MODELL DID NOT WANT TO MOVE and even said so...IRSAY DID WANT TO MOVE and never once said he regretted making the decision to move West. It was common knowledge when Irsay got the Colts in the early 1970s that he wanted to move the team.

-For all the whining and hand-wringing done by NFL fans and non-partisan fans concerning Cleveland, the first chance that came up Cleveland got their team back. However, Baltimore was always rebuffed for expansion by the NFL (in large part due to Jack Kent Cooke). We are always lead to believe that Cleveland was the poor innocents while Baltimore was the evil-dooers. However, Cleveland got their team back within a few years while Baltimore went the only place they could....to a team looking to move. I hated it for Cleveland's fans as they are awesome fans, but we had to do something as the NFL was not working with us. Had the NFL awarded expansion to Baltimore like they should have then maybe Modell and the city of Cleveland could have worked things out. If you want to blame anyone for Modell moving, blame Jack Kent Cooke and the NFL lackeys.

-Every single old Baltimore Colt has totally disassociated himself with Indianapolis. Johnny Unitas rejected the Indianapolis Colts as "the team he played for." Every great Baltimore Colt to a man has 100% categorically rejected any idea their names and spamshirts belong in Indiana.

-To truly appreciate the Baltimore Colts you have to know what that city and that team was about in the 1950s-1970s....It would take too long to document the special bond between the two in this scant few words. Suffice it to say, the bond probably was easily greater than ANY other NFL team and likely greater than any of the other professional sports.

-Yet, it is time to move on. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl that laid to rest the Baltimore Colts for me. My childhood heroes of Bert Jones, Ed Simonini, Roger Carr, and the older guys like Unitas, Moore, Mackey, Marchetti, Donovan, Brasse, Berry, etc...were NOT STOLEN from Baltimore, because us Colts fans didn't let it be stolen. When the Colts became an Indiana team I didn't throw away my Lenny Moore football card, rip up my old Bert Jones poster, and throw away my signed photo of Mr. Unitas. I didn't throw away ticket stubs to games against Buffalo, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Miami, the NY Jets, or Oakland? And "ghost to the post" still haunts me to this day.

Best of luck to the Indianapolis Colts this weekend.

As a Steelers fan, I salute you! :D As painful as that is to say. I felt badly for both the fans of Baltimore and Cleveland when their teams moved.

Now let's see... Say the Steelers decided to move. I know it will never happen but let's just say for the sake of this arguement that they do. Then a couple years later they get an expansion team and call them something different. Does that mean all the Steeler fans who lived through 5 Superbowls would just dump the memories of the past and move on? I know for sure I wouldn't and I can be about 99.9% certain that Pittsburghers would not either. As much as I despise the Ravens football team, I can definately respect the fans and feel for the old timers who remember the move of the Colts to Indy. If Irsay wasn't such a prick, the Ravens would still be called the Colts now.

Now, who do I root for? How about neither nor. :D

Colts and the Ravens next Saturday, can't wait :D

My daughter has a 1:00 swim meet in Carlisle, PA, about 70 minutes from our house on Saturday. There was no contest in picking between the game and her meet, but the second the meet is over, the family is going to be Bo and Luke Duke to the family van and all the way home.

Edited by Big Red

My daughter has a 1:00 swim meet in Carlisle, PA, about 70 minutes from our house on Saturday. There was no contest in picking between the game and her meet, but the second the meet is over, the family is going to be Bo and Luke Duke to the family van and all the way home.

Get yourself Sirius Radio!

Get yourself Sirius Radio!

I got XM about two months before Sirius signed their deal. The new van we got two years ago came with XM built in and no option for Sirius.

Since it's a playoff game, I'm sure there will be coverage somewhere, I just have to find the station.

-The Browns/Colts situations are NOT THE SAME. Robert Irsay had every right to move his "property" in the 'Colts', but I argue didn't have the right to hijack the link the city of Baltimore had with the team. When Art Modell moved the Browns, he left the tradition in place. He left the uniforms, the history, everything so in the event a team was moved back into Cleveland they could resume as was.

-Please be reminded that Art Modell tried to buy back the Colts name, uniforms, and colors when Modell moved from Cleveland. In usual fashion on how Irsay handled his business, THE COLTS WERE for sale, for 25 million dollars. Irsay was looking to cash in as the colors and tradition really meant nothing to him, but Modell balked at the high price.

-The NFL bent over backward for Cleveland. The city of Cleveland had built Gund arena, the RandR HOF, and Jacobs Field while Modell was thinking the Browns were '5th fiddle'. I don't like the idea of city's being held hostage by wealthy owners, but this is how the game is played today. The poorous job by the Cleveland politicians was part of the reason Modell moved. MODELL DID NOT WANT TO MOVE and even said so...IRSAY DID WANT TO MOVE and never once said he regretted making the decision to move West. It was common knowledge when Irsay got the Colts in the early 1970s that he wanted to move the team.

-For all the whining and hand-wringing done by NFL fans and non-partisan fans concerning Cleveland, the first chance that came up Cleveland got their team back. However, Baltimore was always rebuffed for expansion by the NFL (in large part due to Jack Kent Cooke). We are always lead to believe that Cleveland was the poor innocents while Baltimore was the evil-dooers. However, Cleveland got their team back within a few years while Baltimore went the only place they could....to a team looking to move. I hated it for Cleveland's fans as they are awesome fans, but we had to do something as the NFL was not working with us. Had the NFL awarded expansion to Baltimore like they should have then maybe Modell and the city of Cleveland could have worked things out. If you want to blame anyone for Modell moving, blame Jack Kent Cooke and the NFL lackeys.

-Every single old Baltimore Colt has totally disassociated himself with Indianapolis. Johnny Unitas rejected the Indianapolis Colts as "the team he played for." Every great Baltimore Colt to a man has 100% categorically rejected any idea their names and spamshirts belong in Indiana.

-To truly appreciate the Baltimore Colts you have to know what that city and that team was about in the 1950s-1970s....It would take too long to document the special bond between the two in this scant few words. Suffice it to say, the bond probably was easily greater than ANY other NFL team and likely greater than any of the other professional sports.

-Yet, it is time to move on. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl that laid to rest the Baltimore Colts for me. My childhood heroes of Bert Jones, Ed Simonini, Roger Carr, and the older guys like Unitas, Moore, Mackey, Marchetti, Donovan, Brasse, Berry, etc...were NOT STOLEN from Baltimore, because us Colts fans didn't let it be stolen. When the Colts became an Indiana team I didn't throw away my Lenny Moore football card, rip up my old Bert Jones poster, and throw away my signed photo of Mr. Unitas. I didn't throw away ticket stubs to games against Buffalo, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Miami, the NY Jets, or Oakland? And "ghost to the post" still haunts me to this day.

Best of luck to the Indianapolis Colts this weekend.

This is an excellent post that points out a lot of the unpopular opinions about Modell, he wasn't as "evil" as public opinion outside of Baltimore would have you believe.

This is an excellent post that points out a lot of the unpopular opinions about Modell, he wasn't as "evil" as public opinion outside of Baltimore would have you believe.

Regardless, only a handful of people here were fans of their teams when they were in their "old" city. I am a fan of Indianapolis, and was born in the late 70s. Although the accomplishments in Baltimore were great, I do not even link the Colts franchise I watch year after year to the Colts of Baltimore. They're the Indianapolis Colts to me.

Although the accomplishments of Baltimore's football teams were and continue to be great, I do not even link the Indianapolis Colts to any type of championship title nor will I ever because they just are not a championship caliber team.

Well said. I agree! :D