[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tasty and healthy dishes

ChuckB

With the new year upon us there are a lot of us trying to get healthier and lose some pounds. So I'm lookin for some really good meals to make that are not only OK for me to eat while trying to shed a few, but maybe some that would also be enjoyed by the family.

There are so many good recipes in this forum but let's be honest, most of them aren't diet friendly :D

Chooters-- boneless, skinless chicken breasts. tons of recipes of rubs or simple marinades. DO them on the grill, the oven or in a saute pan in some olive oil.

One chooter, a cup of mixed veggies and, depending on your diet goals, some brown rice makes for a very tasty, well balanced, healthy meal.

Essentially, adjust portions for your height, weight, and activity levels (see the weight los forum for the actual formula as well as other tips and rules to follow).

Some basics that work well for me -

Frontload your calories... this means eat bigger breakfasts, taper off towards dinner time... yes, this is the opposite of what most people do, but that is one of the many factors so many people are obese. You need to feed yourself in the AM after not eating all night. Oatmeal or shredded wheat, some eggs for protein and a piece of fruit are a good breakfast.

Lunch.. tuna or turkey on whole wheat, load it up with veggies and dont use mayo, or, if you must, use it sparingly.

dinner, as noted above, chooters, fish or lean beef cuts like sirloin. dont use cream based sauces, etc.

Avoid white bread, regular pasta, regular potatoes (except post-workout), or, if you must have them, try to limit the pasta and potatoes to a normal, suggested serving size.

most of them aren't diet friendly

Also, get it in your head that whatever you eat is your diet, not just what you eat when trying to cut some weight. Once you get in that mindset, it will be so much easier to not fall back into the yoyo weight conundrum that so many people have (myself included)

With the new year upon us there are a lot of us trying to get healthier and lose some pounds. So I'm lookin for some really good meals to make that are not only OK for me to eat while trying to shed a few, but maybe some that would also be enjoyed by the family.

There are so many good recipes in this forum but let's be honest, most of them aren't diet friendly :D

I'll need a ruling: Is Grilled Chicken & Brown Rice considered tasty? If not, you're SOL.

J/K....Unless you're planning on suddenly turning professional body builder / underwear model, you can stick to some pretty basic rules that will do enough. There's no reason for us to be stuck eating crap. You can take some basic principles and change a lot of recipes to make them work for you.

1.) Grilled Chicken and Brown Rice does rule. Break down why they are so effective and you have a meat with high protein, low fat, low cal combined with a non-processed grain. You can get the same a lot of different ways from a lot of different foods. The basics here are: try to stick to low fat meats and eat non-processed foods. I'll post some recipes (or as close to recipes as I come) later, but using low fat ground beef, you can do any number of dishes. If you can get your hands on it, bison is great: Low fat, high protein, and healthy....also the only mammal to not get cancer so they're doing something right.

2.) Oatmeal: eat it up. You gotta eat breakfast. Its my least favorite time of the day to eat but you have to force it down and jumpstart your metabolism each day. Again, you don't want the boxed, packaged, processed sugar & high fructose corn syrup added oatmeal. Just buy a bag of rolled or steel cut oats. They take a little longer to prepare but you can fix up a pot during the weekend and reheat it during the week. Then add NATURAL peanut butter (no added sugga), honey, or real maple syrup to add flavor without adding refined sugar.

3.) Carbs: This is a general rule that has worked for me every time I've cut: Eat carbs for lunch...you need carbs in your diet. Try to cut them out after 4pm. Carbs can keep fat from metabolizing so you want to limit their intake if you'll be going to bed within a few hours of eating. The exception would be if you exercise late in the day, you need to replenish your body, some carbs included. Pastas don't have to be bad but you want to limit the intake of any processed foods...If you don't mind the taste (and it took me a very short time to get used to it), get the higher protein, whole wheat pasta. In my diet, if I'm going to spend the energy eating, I want to get the maximum amount of protein. You can get whole wheat pasta in just about any shape...so now you've got pasta and ground meat. Tomato sauce is good for guys. That brings in lasagna, spaghetti, stuffed shells, etc.

Bread: Same as pasta - stick to the whole wheat / whole grains. Nothing wrong with a good sandwich but pile on the low-fat meat and I'd suggest dropping the cheese.

4.) Vegetables > Fruits. Fruits should be included in your diet but the lower sugar and carb content in vegetables make them better.

5.) Milk: Low / No fat milk products. Cottage Cheese contains a slow burning protein which is great for late night snacks to avoid muscle breakdown while you sleep.

Again, because most of us actually have lives, these are just basic guidelines. You just have to be mindful of what you're eating: If you are out to eat, take the grilled chicken dish over the Fried Twinkie dish. If you are stuck with the fried twinkie, eat 1, not 2. Skip dessert, drink some green tea. Actually, just drink Green Tea anyway. Don't skip meals...and if possible, eat 5-6 instead of 3. It can be a little tough for most working stiffs but if you can do it, its much better for the diet.

Excellent info from SLD, though, with the countless ways to season the grilled chicken, I actually don't mind the chooter and brown rice meal that much.

I basically like to make rice bowls that I can pack in tupperware. Cook the brown rice up and add some veggies (bell peppers, zucchinni, etc), then add in a chopped chicken breast that has a tasty marinade on it (maybe a soy/ginger marinade for an Asian flair, or go with a chipotle marinade for a hispanic flair). Microwave for a few minutes at work and voila, a tasty healthy lunch.

Excellent info from SLD, though, with the countless ways to season the grilled chicken, I actually don't mind the chooter and brown rice meal that much.

I basically like to make rice bowls that I can pack in tupperware. Cook the brown rice up and add some veggies (bell peppers, zucchinni, etc), then add in a chopped chicken breast that has a tasty marinade on it (maybe a soy/ginger marinade for an Asian flair, or go with a chipotle marinade for a hispanic flair). Microwave for a few minutes at work and voila, a tasty healthy lunch.

No, I don't mind it either. I eat a lot grilled chicken & brown rice. Have it with me for lunch today. And I agree, you can spice it many ways and even use quite a few marinades. It also took me awhile to get used to steel cut oats but now I love them.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Also, get it in your head that whatever you eat is your diet, not just what you eat when trying to cut some weight. Once you get in that mindset, it will be so much easier to not fall back into the yoyo weight conundrum that so many people have (myself included)

I knew when I posted that it would get a response. Fortunately I do understand that it can't be a "diet" it has to be a change in the way you eat period.

I do love grilled chicken, tuna, and other fishes so that's a plus. I will be picking up some stuff today including brown rice.

My hardest part will be eating breakfast and eating more than two to three meals a day (which I know I should)

What is it about us that makes us eat the horrible foods we eat. When I eat healthy for an extended period of time I feel better, have more energy, look better, everything positive but there's something about that dam double cheeseburger that calls to me :D

Edit to thank you guys for takin the time to share your experience, it's obvious you know what yer talkin about :D

Edited by ChuckB

:D While it might not be popular...

I wouldn't be afraid to supplement with meal replacement shakes. Probably the three 'biggest' makers are:

MetRx (not sure what the shake name is)

EAS (Myoplex)

Labrada (Lean Body)

It's not a bad way to start or end the day. There are low carb versions you can have at night and they will keep you from being hungry and munching. You can get them in bulk, or in single serve packets, which run about $2 each retail.

I know this isn't exactly a 'recipe' for healthy meals, but IMO it's a good way to keep your portions under control. And FWIW, I think they taste good. Use skim milk, and it goes from not bad to tasty.

They all go Chocolate, vanilla, and berry (some berry...depends on what they are calling it this month). my personal favorite is the Lean Body berry, but they are all good. Mixing it up can help you n ot get sick of one particular taste.

:D While it might not be popular...

I wouldn't be afraid to supplement with meal replacement shakes. Probably the three 'biggest' makers are:

MetRx (not sure what the shake name is)

EAS (Myoplex)

Labrada (Lean Body)

It's not a bad way to start or end the day. There are low carb versions you can have at night and they will keep you from being hungry and munching. You can get them in bulk, or in single serve packets, which run about $2 each retail.

I know this isn't exactly a 'recipe' for healthy meals, but IMO it's a good way to keep your portions under control. And FWIW, I think they taste good. Use skim milk, and it goes from not bad to tasty.

They all go Chocolate, vanilla, and berry (some berry...depends on what they are calling it this month). my personal favorite is the Lean Body berry, but they are all good. Mixing it up can help you n ot get sick of one particular taste.

Very True. I drink vanilla myoplex most days. Usually as either pre-workout or post-workout meal.

For dinner tonight I grilled a lean steak and had fresh boiled veggies and brown rice for sides. It was very tasty :D

Went shoppin and stocked up on chicken, tuna, fruits, veggies, brown rice, whole grain bread and cottage cheese.

Also picked up some deli turkey and ham but was wonderin what you all thought of those considering the sodium and all......is it something I should avoid or go ahead and mix it in there?

For dinner tonight I grilled a lean steak and had fresh boiled veggies and brown rice for sides. It was very tasty :D

Went shoppin and stocked up on chicken, tuna, fruits, veggies, brown rice, whole grain bread and cottage cheese.

Also picked up some deli turkey and ham but was wonderin what you all thought of those considering the sodium and all......is it something I should avoid or go ahead and mix it in there?

You're on your way!!! Sounds like a good shopping trip.

I eat quite a bit of deli meat myself. Sodium, for me, is a good evil. Sure, its not the best for my health although for me, it doesn't have that much effect on fat. What it does, however, is makes me thirsty. When I get thirsty, I drink water. Drinking water is good. Its recommended that you should drink a gallon of water a day. I have trouble doing that most days so if sodium helps out, I'll overlook the evil as long as its still in moderation and there is some added value.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

SO, for dinner tonight, I made up the following.

Chopped up one onion and put it in a pan on low heat with some olive oil. Seasoned with some salt, pepper, chili powder and onion powder. To that I added 4 bell peppers of varying colors also chopped. And then I added several cloves of garlic.

Meanwhile, I peeled and diced a couple sweet potatoes and put those in boiling water for about ten minutes, just to soften a bit.

I also in a separate pa browned some extra lean ground beef, tha Ialso seasoned with chili powder and onion powder.

I added the beef and sweet potatoes to the veggie mixture. Stirred.

I then took a 28 ounce can of tomatoes and hand crushed them in a bowl. I then added this to the mixture and brought the temperature up. THen I drained and rinsed off a can of kidney beans and a can of garbanzo beans and added those to the mixture.

Looks a bit like a chili or a soft hash, but it tastes great, and is loaded with protein, fiber and the vitamins etc. in the peppers.

Sometimes when I throw this together I will also add in a bag of mixed frozen veggies like peas, corn, broccolli or whatever I have on hand.

I figure that two ladels full is a serving, so this makes plenty for the wife and I to have dinner and now I have a tasty lunch for the rest of the week.

hey, i am french trained....... butter all the way baby!

they best ways to eat better is eat more balanced meals, reduce transfats, change cooking techniques to those that use less (or better) fats, sugars kill, eat healthier snacks.

they best ways to eat better is eat more balanced meals, reduce transfats, change cooking techniques to those that use less (or better) fats, sugars kill, eat healthier snacks.

Wurd

Unfortunately, to eat like a European, you should be willing to exercise like one to: lose the car and walk or bike everywhere.

Balanced is certainly the way to go and thats what you want to shoot for when you reach your target weight and want to maintain. To lose weight, you need to jump start it a bit.

As SLD alludes to, perhaps if we all adopted European portion sizes it would be much easier.

Rule of thumb for the calorie counters, 10-12 calories per pound of bodyweight to wane, 14-16 per pound to maintain and 18-20 to gain.

Do not go below 2000 calories (for men, and definitely not for an extended period) unless you are really small, focus on lean proteins (try to got 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight), eat your veggies.

SO, for dinner tonight, I made up the following.

Chopped up one onion and put it in a pan on low heat with some olive oil. Seasoned with some salt, pepper, chili powder and onion powder. To that I added 4 bell peppers of varying colors also chopped. And then I added several cloves of garlic.

Meanwhile, I peeled and diced a couple sweet potatoes and put those in boiling water for about ten minutes, just to soften a bit.

I also in a separate pa browned some extra lean ground beef, tha Ialso seasoned with chili powder and onion powder.

I added the beef and sweet potatoes to the veggie mixture. Stirred.

I then took a 28 ounce can of tomatoes and hand crushed them in a bowl. I then added this to the mixture and brought the temperature up. THen I drained and rinsed off a can of kidney beans and a can of garbanzo beans and added those to the mixture.

Looks a bit like a chili or a soft hash, but it tastes great, and is loaded with protein, fiber and the vitamins etc. in the peppers.

Sometimes when I throw this together I will also add in a bag of mixed frozen veggies like peas, corn, broccolli or whatever I have on hand.

I figure that two ladels full is a serving, so this makes plenty for the wife and I to have dinner and now I have a tasty lunch for the rest of the week.

I made this last night. It was too much food (as described here) for one large skillet, but I had 2 handy :D

Good stuff BC!!

I made this last night. It was too much food (as described here) for one large skillet, but I had 2 handy :D

Good stuff BC!!

Glad you liked it.

Yes, it is too much for a large skillet, I usually have a pot going that I do the onion and peppers and garlic in, then a skillet for browning the ground beef that I transfer to the pot, along with the other ingredients.

simple. eat smartly and burn many of the carbs/calories that you consume by excercise of some kind at least four times a week. Eat 90 percent of your alloted carbs before 4pm at least 5 times per week. splurge the other two days. strict diets are never strictly adhered to after 2 months time anyway. Everything in moderation, And did I mention exercise?

• 1 month later...

Bump.

I am too f'in fat.

A little off topic but has anyone used a personal trainer to get into shape (from totally sedentary)? Worth the money?

Here's the way I look at a personal trainer.... the motivation is in the fact that you're paying them $75 a session to get you into shape. I had a friend that was paying out the ass for a trainer but never went. :D

A little off topic but has anyone used a personal trainer to get into shape (from totally sedentary)? Worth the money?

JMO...

I am in a workout phase, as I have been many tomes in my life. I have never used a personal trainer.

PTs are good if you want someone to show you around the gym so you don't look like a dummy. A buddy that's familiar is a good choice as well if you are more comfortable with that.

Otherwise, and I see this every day, the PTs at my gym are always leading around spherically challenged folk. They put them on the treadmill, show them how to work it. They talk about cardio work. Then they take you to stretch. Stretch, stretch, stretch, they preach (even though the gym has all of 3 square feet dedicated to stretching). Then, they show you some nautilus equipment.

They put you on a plan that is 90% Rosie O'Donnell, and that nobody ever sticks to and loses weight. Why? Because they want you to 'feel comfortable' and come back so that they can get more money. They don't want to make you work too hard.

Trainers are good for people that are serious and need to be pushed. For a beginner, think they can be a good resource, but more often than not I think they are much less effective.

If you are serious about exercise and losing weight, go to the weightloss forum. You will find a link to the Men's Health forums there. There are many good workout suggestions.

Or, just post and ask Huddlers what they are doing for workouts. I am sure you can get plenty of info about it.

6 or so years ago, when I was entering a workout phase, I bought the Body for Life book. Now, I didn;t stick to it after a time, but it did help me learn my way around certain concepts, in particular the nutritional concepts. It might be worht a look.