[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tasty and healthy dishes

ChuckB

Here's a good lunch item, from Men's Health:

3-4 slices rare roast beef

dijon honey mustart (2 tbsp)

2 tbsp blue cheese crumbles

1 beefsteak tomato

salad greens

large wheat tortilla

Cut the beefsteak tomato into 2 1/2 inch thick slabs. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, a little basalmic and ground black pepper. Broil until hot and just getting black. Do not burn.

Smear dijon mustard on tortilla, add roast beef, salad greens and blue cheese. Wrap and eat with the tomoates.

Close to 20g protein, decent fiber and low in the fat. But still VERY tasty especially with the blue cheese and tomatoes. That's why I like this, it IS healthy in 90% of it but lets you eat the blue cheese which is NOT healthy. Nice balance!

6 or so years ago, when I was entering a workout phase, I bought the Body for Life book. Now, I didn;t stick to it after a time, but it did help me learn my way around certain concepts, in particular the nutritional concepts. It might be worht a look.

Body for life is a good plan if you stick to it. I did it for about 6 months about 5 years ago and it did wonders for my health and overall physique.

Body for life is a good plan if you stick to it. I did it for about 6 months about 5 years ago and it did wonders for my health and overall physique.

The thing I didn't like was the workout plan. I guess I'm just more old school when it comes to lifting weights. I'll never buy a ROM machine, and I'll never believe in a workout when you can work a whole body part in 5 sets, 3 times in 2 weeks.

hey, i am french trained....... butter all the way baby!

they best ways to eat better is eat more balanced meals, reduce transfats, change cooking techniques to those that use less (or better) fats, sugars kill, eat healthier snacks.

it finally caught up with me......

after all of these years, i finally came in with high cholesterol... so dramatic changes to what is going in as i really don't have a shot at a regular workout.

I checked out all of the previous suggestions from Chuck's original post. So far (24 hours), I've gone with the diet plan suggested by BC and SLD (BLSLCB, brown rice, veg, steel cut oatmeal). I did hire a PT (bascially for the reason that twiley mentioned...I'm frickin' paying for this...I better get something out of it).

GL Bier. It'll be difficult to get your cholesterol down by diet alone.

Edited by MojoMan

BC said something in his first post that bears repeating: stop eating in the evening. Have your dinner before 7pm if possible. It helps to keep the wieght off since you are still active for a few more hours and you burn the calories off before hitting the bed.

Drink lots of water, especially if you're between meals and have no snack. It won't completely curb hunger pains but manages them.

Also, keep in mind that 'watching your wieght' doesn't mean you can eat healthy 100% of the time. If you kick ass for 6 straight days, hit that double cheeseburger for a weekend lunch. But then you have to kick ass for another 6 days.

Good deserts include things like vanilla frozen yogurt with berries for instance as well. There no fat in that type of desert. Chocolat sorbet as well.

My thoughts on PTs (from my post in the weight challenge forum):

7.) Personal Trainers: I'm not a big fan of personal trainers. The bad ones tend to outnumber the good ones 5-1. It costs $500 and not much upstairs to get a Personal Trainer Certificate over the internet. So a lot of gyms, especially Bally's, 24 Hour Fitness, and the larger chains are filled with these 20 year old kids that failed out of their first semester at CC, but figure that since they played football in high school, they should be personal trainers. Of course, by 20, they're 2 years out of doing any real exercise and the beer drinking has set it. Bottom line: The certificate doesn't make a good trainers. There are good trainers with the certificate who would have been just as good without. It just creates a job opportunity for people who are definitely not qualified.

If you have a session with a personal trainer, take their advice with a grain of salt. Many will peddle the same workout / nutrition program to someone preparing for a marathon as they would for a 60 lb overweight 55 year old woman as they would for someone trying to gain muscle size for football camp. Instead...do your research, find the facts and then using that trainer as a spotter and someone to check your form for you. If you've done your homework and set your workout, don't let them talk you out of doing a certain exercise. Listen to them but don't let their advice be the your sole reason for changing your workout or diet. They're sort of like the internet: a potential source for information but that information is as likely to be bad as it is to be good.

My thoughts on PTs (from my post in the weight challenge forum):

7.) Personal Trainers: I'm not a big fan of personal trainers. The bad ones tend to outnumber the good ones 5-1. It costs $500 and not much upstairs to get a Personal Trainer Certificate over the internet. So a lot of gyms, especially Bally's, 24 Hour Fitness, and the larger chains are filled with these 20 year old kids that failed out of their first semester at CC, but figure that since they played football in high school, they should be personal trainers. Of course, by 20, they're 2 years out of doing any real exercise and the beer drinking has set it. Bottom line: The certificate doesn't make a good trainers. There are good trainers with the certificate who would have been just as good without. It just creates a job opportunity for people who are definitely not qualified.

If you have a session with a personal trainer, take their advice with a grain of salt. Many will peddle the same workout / nutrition program to someone preparing for a marathon as they would for a 60 lb overweight 55 year old woman as they would for someone trying to gain muscle size for football camp. Instead...do your research, find the facts and then using that trainer as a spotter and someone to check your form for you. If you've done your homework and set your workout, don't let them talk you out of doing a certain exercise. Listen to them but don't let their advice be the your sole reason for changing your workout or diet. They're sort of like the internet: a potential source for information but that information is as likely to be bad as it is to be good.

:D

JMO, but if you are a youngish man (say under 40...maybe even a bit older), there is no subsitute for complex lifts and a mix of high intensity and low intensity cardio. In general trainers are not going to put you on a complex lifts program...they are going to aim you at nautilus crap.

:D

JMO, but if you are a youngish man (say under 40...maybe even a bit older), there is no subsitute for complex lifts and a mix of high intensity and low intensity cardio. In general trainers are not going to put you on a complex lifts program...they are going to aim you at nautilus crap.

Agreed, complex lifts are necessary. PTs won't go near them or any exercise that involves anything like a squat, deadlift, etc....no legs. Those nautilus workouts are limited to Bis and Chest...

HIIT workouts are a great way to go. Most of my cardio workouts are centered around boxing workouts. I got a "GYMBOSS" which is about the size of a beeper and is nothing more than an interval timer. Its great for HITT workouts as well as setting my 3 minute rounds (with a 1 minute rest). www.gymboss.com

BC said something in his first post that bears repeating: stop eating in the evening. Have your dinner before 7pm if possible. It helps to keep the wieght off since you are still active for a few more hours and you burn the calories off before hitting the bed.

Well, I said to frontload calories, meaning bigger breakfast and lunch, smaller dinner, but you definitely want a slow digesting protein right before bed, something like a cup of cottage cheese and some berries or peanut butter, or, if you like shakes, get some casein powder and make shakes with that. Not whey, which is good pre nad post workout, but casein, which is a slow digesting protein.

Well, I said to frontload calories, meaning bigger breakfast and lunch, smaller dinner, but you definitely want a slow digesting protein right before bed, something like a cup of cottage cheese and some berries or peanut butter, or, if you like shakes, get some casein powder and make shakes with that. Not whey, which is good pre nad post workout, but casein, which is a slow digesting protein.

Well that goes hand in hand, because if you stop eating early in the eveing you MUST eat first thing in the morning.

Also, to drop weight the fastest, get up drink 4 oz OJ, 4 oz water, have a cup of coffee and hit the bike enough so you can get up to an hour in (you have to work up to that, and use a bike that monitors heartrate). Then, eat the oatmeal. You'll sweat so much weight off if you do this 4 days a week it'll be amazing. Most importantly it melts of consistently and gradually so your body adjusts accordingly. When I focused down on this a few years ago I dopped 12 pounds in 3 weeks, and there was no 'spurt' of weight drop, it just slid down gradually. I will note however, that I measured everything out anally and kept myself to 2000 calories a day give or take very little.

Simple breakfast I like are the oatmeal with raisins, a med size breakfast burrito with egg whites, and a personal fave: 2 whole grain waffles with a spponful of applesauce on each. Fiber!

BC - what are the good 'wet carbs' at night? I seem to recall broccoli was one