[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Position vs Final Standings

idahov

For me, the past four years in my main league (ten team serpentine redraft) have gone as follows:

2003 - Drafted 6th, finished 1st (Had SA, PManning, THolt and RMoss) Holt was stellar, and I think this was Moss' last good year.

2004 - Drafted 10th, finished 7th (My first three picks sucked, and buried my team) Fragile and KJ killed me.

2005 - Drafted 3rd, finished 2nd (SA, Steve Smith carried this team) Picked up Smith in the 4th. Was points leader in league, but had a bit of bad luck in weekly matchups.

2006 - Drafted 9th, finished 1st (Best overall team from top to bottom I've ever had) Consistent even production. Gore, MJD, Portis/Betts, Bulger, CJ, RWayne and Bulger grinding it out. They all had some big weeks, but I scored over 100 in this league every week but 1, which is hard to do. First team ever drafting in the bottom four to ever win.

I'm curious how many folks at the bottom end of the draft have won. This league bases draft position on the previous years finish. I'm arguing, but not making any headway, that in a redraft it should be a clean slate. Based on the league history, early and mid starting draft positions have won every year but last.

In an IDP Dynasty draft picked last and finished first. First 6 picks were

1.5 ppr league

Rudi

SJax

Wayne

J Walker

Crumpler

Eli :D

Driver 9th round.

My RB's and WR's were good but my LB'ers and QB's weren't.

Good vs. Evil - drafted 2nd - 2nd/money

4983 - drafted 11th - finished 13th :D

MSHB - drafted 3rd - 5th or 6th

32 Homaaars - drafted 24th - 2nd in Division

SPEFFL - drafted 10th - 1st/money

STL Jerks - drafted 11th - 9th

Slavin League - drafted 8th - 1st/money

WCOFF - drafted 10th - 6th in league

The Lords - drafted 5th - 2nd/money

It's interesting you brought this up, was discussing this with one of the other owners in my league. 12 team serpantine draft, the last 4 champions have had either the 2nd or 1st pick in the draft, with the exception of this year, the guy won it with the 8th pick (S. Jackson). With all the RBBC's it's getting more difficult to draft late in the first round.

It doesn't matter where you draft, as long as you have the right strategy for that draft position. I had 3 championship teams this year, in one I drafted 5th, in one I drafted 8th, and in another I drafted 7th. I also lost two superbowls, and one of which I drafted 12th and another I drafted 8th. I made the playoffs in 3 other leagues two drafting from the 3 spot and the other drafting from the 2 spot.

I bet more teams picking 3rd finished last than any other spot being that was the spot Shaun Alexander was picked in most leagues.

I'm not so sure about that. I saw Alexander go 1 or 2 in many leagues. Going into the year all of the big 3 had team issues.

8th out of 14, re-draft. went against all "accepted" ff rules and ignored rb's until the 4th round, took peyton first (followed by fitz and marvin...then tjones, ahman, deuce, mb III). won the league.

2005 - Redraft; Picked 16th of 16 and finished 1st in the regular season but lost in the SB. The SB winner picked 15th and really picked up steam at the end with LJ's performance. :D

2006 - Picked 5th and finished 13th of 14 (7th in points though). :D

Picking Ronnie Brown at #5 hurt, but so did Fitz (2nd round) being out for a while as well as Dunn's (3rd round) lack of TD's.

I focused on RB's in all my drafts; obviously got a little lucky.

1 -- Picked 10th out of 12 (Rudi J), won superbowl

(got Gore 7th and Drew Brees in the 11th round!!)

2 -- Picked 10th out of 10 (Cadillac -- ugh), won superbowl

(got Gore and Chester with 5th-6th picks)

3 -- Picked 2nd out of 10 (LJ), got #1 seed but lost in 1st round of playoffs

4 -- Picked 7th out of 10 (SJax), won superbowl

(got Driver 6th, Chester 7th, Javon Walker 9th)

Good vs. Evil 7th/16 - Lost first round of playoffs (4 teams make) after having best record (damn Twiley) :D

- SJax in 1st, Gore in 3rd, Coles in 6th carried me (Moss in 2nd hurt)

Local 10/10 - Lost SB after having 5th best record (6 teams make playoffs)

- Caddy in 1st hurt. Gore in 4th was my only great pick

Edited by kcmast

Had 12th pick and lost in the championship game. I actually finished 8-6 and had a 4-way tie for the division but won on tie breakers. Got lucky with Marion Barber in the 6th round and picked up Colston and MJD early in the season off the WW. Bears DST was a gift too.

Good vs. Evil 7th/16 - Lost first round of playoffs (4 teams make) after having best record (damn Twiley) :D

- SJax in 1st, Gore in 3rd, Coles in 6th carried me (Moss in 2nd hurt)

Local 10/10 - Lost SB after having 5th best record (6 teams make playoffs)

- Caddy in 1st hurt. Gore in 4th was my only great pick

:bash::D

Local big money league - 6th pick, finished 3rd (would have been first if not for the worst trade ever made)

in that league, 1st pick (took SA) won superbowl / 2nd pick (LT) was 2nd / 3rd pick (LJ) was third.

2nd pick was the best team throughout the year, but everythign changes come playoff time.

2005 - Redraft; Picked 16th of 16 and finished 1st in the regular season but lost in the SB. The SB winner picked 15th and really picked up steam at the end with LJ's performance. :D

Am I to understand Larry Johnson was still on the board at pick 15? :D

1. Redraft, finished 2nd in '06, draft position #9, this year: won SB

2. Draft, 1.01, this year: won SB

3. Automated draft, this year: won SB

4. Computer ranking, this year: finished 4

In all though, I do not think it is about draft position as much as it is about paying attention to the F/A wire...I am historically a horrible drafter, but make pick-ups on the waiver wire....

I bet more teams picking 3rd finished last than any other spot being that was the spot Shaun Alexander was picked in most leagues.

I won the Empire SB (12 team, redraft) picking from the #3 spot this year. Though, I did get LT there.

2nd place in 12 Men In The Huddle (12 team, 3 player keeper) picking from the #10 spot (though, my first pick wasn't until 4.3).

3rd place in my local (12 team, redraft), picking from the #1 spot.

Edited by yo mama

2nd place in 12 Men In The Huddle (12 team, 3 player keeper) picking from the #10 spot (though, my first pick wasn't until 4.3).

This is interesting. In a three player keeper, surely the person with the #10 pick should pick at 4.10, as the fourth round is effectively the first round?