[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Ohio St. University vs. Florida

I honestly don't know. I have not seen one OSU game this season. I know that Florida has an excellent defense and the offense ranges from mediocre to above average. If Florida can avoid turnovers and making horrifically stupid plays on offense, I believe they have a legitimate chance because of their defense.

I don't see this as a high scoring game.

At this point, I don't care about strength of conference or a close win=loss or how great Oklahoma is--I just want Florida to win.

FL 28

OSU 24

C'mon, somebody has to pull for the dog.

I am pulling for the dog, just not predicting they will win. But they have a chance. I just think Troy Smith has been executing the offense so well that I don't think Florida can keep up offensively with OSU. Troy Smith is definitely a better QB than Leak.

I'll guess OSU 34, FLA 24.

BTW, why is the Heisman QB (and strong fave for the trophy almost all year, outside of some early ideas about BQuinn,) not considered the top QB in the draft. He'll be lucky to be a late 1st rounder - why?

The guy wins almost all his big games, esp. vs. Michigan, and is a vastly improved thrower this year, much like VY last year. Is it just his height, or do old 'character issues' still haunt him? I have a problem with the voters if they're saying 'Well, while he's clearly better in the college game than Quinn and Russell, but we don't care that he is clearly a worse NFL QB prospect than those two.'

How can that be? Why not give it to Quinn or Russell then?? It smacks of going with the 'best player on the best team' idea, and I think that's just BS - cut the crap and call it the 'MVP of the #1 team award' then. Either the guy is the overall best player in college or not, (and should be an early 1st rounder in the NFL most likely too). And if he is not, give it to someone else...

Unforunately, all the old adages come into play here regardless of the success he's had in college. The biggest knock is that he's too short (listed at 6'1" but everyone knows he's not a speck over 6'). While that may not seem short by any stretch, when all the D-lineman you need to see over are 6'3" or better it could create a problem.

Second, he's too skinny. 210 lbs doesn't seem skinny but again with the size of everyone in the NFL right now, scouts are afraid he won't hold up.

Third, he runs too much. A mobile QB isn't a bad thing but running should be out of necessity not as part of the play call.

Finally, he's not very accurate. I think this is what hurts him the most going forward. In college, guys are often so wide open that they can adjust to a poorly thrown ball and still catch it. In the NFL, those get broken up or picked because the defender is much tighter in the coverage.

I wish the kid well myself. I really think that he can make an impact in the right system with the right coaching. Let's hope he proves the "experts" wrong and has a successful NFL career.

Unforunately, all the old adages come into play here regardless of the success he's had in college. The biggest knock is that he's too short (listed at 6'1" but everyone knows he's not a speck over 6'). While that may not seem short by any stretch, when all the D-lineman you need to see over are 6'3" or better it could create a problem.

Second, he's too skinny. 210 lbs doesn't seem skinny but again with the size of everyone in the NFL right now, scouts are afraid he won't hold up.

Third, he runs too much. A mobile QB isn't a bad thing but running should be out of necessity not as part of the play call.

Finally, he's not very accurate. I think this is what hurts him the most going forward. In college, guys are often so wide open that they can adjust to a poorly thrown ball and still catch it. In the NFL, those get broken up or picked because the defender is much tighter in the coverage.

I wish the kid well myself. I really think that he can make an impact in the right system with the right coaching. Let's hope he proves the "experts" wrong and has a successful NFL career.

So...vin, is he the best QB and best player in NCAA this year, or not? Would Quinn or Russell have done even better there, if they played for OSU? Should the award always go to the MVP of one of the top 1-2 teams, or should it go to the best player regardless of his team's record?

I'll guess OSU 34, FLA 24.

BTW, why is the Heisman QB (and strong fave for the trophy almost all year, outside of some early ideas about BQuinn,) not considered the top QB in the draft. He'll be lucky to be a late 1st rounder - why?

Are you honestly puzzled by this? It happens all the time. Ask Gino Toretta how much pull the Heisman Trophy winner has come draft day. Where'd he go? The 7th round?

What about Danny Weurful, Charlie Ward, Andre Ware, Tim Crouch, Ty Detmer, Jason White...should I go on?

In the last 20 years, there have been 3 Heismen QBs that appear to be top flight Pro QBs and one of them is a rookie this year so the jury is out. Vinny T, Carson Palmer, and Matt Leinart.

Are you honestly puzzled by this? It happens all the time. Ask Gino Toretta how much pull the Heisman Trophy winner has come draft day. Where'd he go? The 7th round?

What about Danny Weurful, Charlie Ward, Andre Ware, Tim Crouch, Ty Detmer, Jason White...should I go on?

In the last 20 years, there have been 3 Heismen QBs that appear to be top flight Pro QBs and one of them is a rookie this year so the jury is out. Vinny T, Carson Palmer, and Matt Leinart.

No, as you may expect, I'm not truly puzzled. So you think Quinn or Russell would've done even better than Smith in the last 3 years at OSU? I guess so. I'm just railing against the hypocrisy of a bunch of voters who ignore the great seasons of players if they're not on a top 1-2 team, thats all.

A mid-major player is an extreme longshot, even if they go 13-0. And even BCS conference players who dominate all year on their side of the ball cannot force their team to win all their games. Maybe this thing should go to defensive players more often too...

(Edit: I know I'm posting a lot today, but the season is almost over...)

Edited by Coffeeman

Troy Smith will get a shot. The only thing holding him back is his slow release, and his size. He'll get his shot, and if he torches Florida, I think he will possibly sneak into the first round. Someone had him going mid 1st round, i've seen late 1st early 2nd. I don't know, but he'll get his shot, thats for sure.

Troy Smith will get a shot. The only thing holding him back is his slow release, and his size. He'll get his shot, and if he torches Florida, I think he will possibly sneak into the first round. Someone had him going mid 1st round, i've seen late 1st early 2nd. I don't know, but he'll get his shot, thats for sure.

I predict he will not go in the first round and could slide to the 3rd round. Not the proto-type NFL QB. As has been said here, great college QB does not always = great NFL prospect. They are looking for 6'3"+, strong arm, mobile, smart (picture of Carson Palmer here).

I honestly don't know. I have not seen one OSU game this season. I know that Florida has an excellent defense and the offense ranges from mediocre to above average. If Florida can avoid turnovers and making horrifically stupid plays on offense, I believe they have a legitimate chance because of their defense.

I don't see this as a high scoring game.

At this point, I don't care about strength of conference or a close win=loss or how great Oklahoma is--I just want Florida to win.

This is how I feel, I believe it will be a little higher scoring. I also think it's going to be a nail biter myself.

You don't watch OSU much do you???? First, he's 5-10 no more than that and not skinny at all, Second he's extremly accurate and has a pretty good gun, Third he's not a running Qb anymore he has thrown alot more than run and no where dependant on his legs as he was the last 2 years ago. I would put him ahead of Quinn in my book and behind Russell. Your view seems to be the view of people that do not watch Troy Smith. TS will go late first or second in my book. The success of Brees,VY,Vick, and the shift to the QB that can throw and has some ability to advoid(escapability) the rush seems to be the direction of the new nfl style QB. I see a great steal in TS to some team willing to take a chance on him...I do agree his height is the big issue.

I do think College Football has some decent sized defensive lineman as well.

If you just watch his ESPN highlights which just seems to show his great escapability and big play potential your missing half of what Troy does so well, Troy sits in the pocket to the very last second and goes through his progressions and seems to have gained that sense of knowing when the defenders are closing in. Troy's legs have to be respected which has made his throwing lanes that much better, because defense's have to stay at home and try to contain him in the pocket. You allow Troy to roll outside and your in trouble you attack him he throws to the open man, you sit back and he takes off...Troy takes what the defense gives and is content to march down the field.

Russell, Smith, and Quinn in that order IMO.

Florida-38

OSU-31

SEC-7-0 in bowl games against OSU

OSU-0-7 in bowl games against SEC

I don't see why tradition is gonna change this year.

Boise State will be the only undefeated team in D-1 this year, thus bringing more controversy than in 2003 when the Championship was split...

Florida-38

OSU-31

SEC-7-0 in bowl games against OSU

OSU-0-7 in bowl games against SEC

I don't see why tradition is gonna change this year.

Boise State will be the only undefeated team in D-1 this year, thus bringing more controversy than in 2003 when the Championship was split...

Hmmm

Joined today, already has an avatar, a sigline and a piss poor post on the game.

:D

Hmmm

Joined today, already has an avatar, a sigline and a piss poor post on the game.

Is there some sort of time period that one is supposed to wait to put an avatar or a sigline up? As you can see, not that you didn't explain it in your reply, but I am a rookie and am not up on the rules and regulations that pertain to avatars and siglines. How bout a time period that one has before they can put in a "piss poor" post? How long does one haveta wait before they can post a "piss poor" post. I am sure I could go back and take a look at some of your posts and call them "piss poor" as well. Or maybe I would even be lucky enough to see others calling you out for blessing us all with "piss poor" posts. And from what it looks like, you have been around a while...so I will have no problem matching "piss poor" posts right next to your "piss poor" posts. One thing you will notice is that 99.9% percent of my future "piss poor" posts will contain facts. Such as OSU's record against SEC teams. There was your first "piss poor", but true, fact. My prediction of the score was just my opinion, which last time I checked was something that I was entitled to. But I do enjoy the constructive criticism! I will do my best from here on out to at least throw some "piss average" posts up from here on out. How am I doing so far?