[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Danger Awaits

McBoog

I truely believe, SD hasn't beaten any good teams this year. Marty ball will go 1 and done again!

This has GOT to be UT! Shoo! Shoo fly and go eat a nice helping of Belichick doodoo! :D

Martyball died w/ the loss in Baltimore. He knows if he revives it in the playoffs he loses his job. The Chargers were six points away from an undefeated season. :bash:

DMD made me feel a LOT better about this weekend. :clap::tup:

You are funny! :D

This has GOT to be UT! Shoo! Shoo fly and go eat a nice helping of Belichick doodoo! :D

Martyball died w/ the loss in Baltimore. He knows if he revives it in the playoffs he loses his job. The Chargers were six points away from an undefeated season. :bash:

DMD made me feel a LOT better about this weekend. :clap::tup:

You are funny! :D

Snicker :doh:

Right, the Pats have only played in 2 road games in the playoffs in the last 4 years and beat PIT in 2004 and lost to Denver in 2005. One of the features of the Pats lengthy playoff runs have been so many home games.

And yet in 2 of their 3 SB years they had to win the AFC Championship game on the road.

Pats make most all teams bring their "A" game of lose at playoff time....very good point earlier was Gaffney, Caldwell, etc...and "can't stop them, Chargers don't deserve to win"....IMO the matchup to win first is Dillon/Maroney must be held below 4 YPC (average)...forcing Brady to throw to the "average" WR's.....but what Brady does better than probably anyone (other than Peyton) is he goes through his progressions based on the "D"'s scheme...and the one thing Chargers will have to do well is "SHUT" down the TE's for the PATS!!

Graham and Watson can destroy any "D" and Brady delivers the ball in the seams time and time again...and just a "D" adjusts its scheme...Caldwell or Gaffney or Maroney get you....should be very interesting and a great game to watch!!!

IMO the winner here wins the conference....who that might be.....?? The edge is Chargers favor..home and Merriman will give Brady fits.....LT should have a decent day....Chargers 27 Patriots 24. :D

From the San Diego Union:

Linebacker Shawne Merriman will be playing his first playoff game. He watched every moment of yesterday's 37-16 Patriots victory over the Jets and was impressed. But, as is well known by now, Merriman fancies himself on the way to greatness, and he knows stardom is cemented in January.

“I see this as a big opportunity,” said Merriman, the NFL's sack leader this season. “I want to back up what I say like I have from Day One and be a key player down the stretch when my team needs me. And I will inject every foreign and illegal performing enhancing substance known to man if that's what it takes to help my team. Even bull rhinoceros hormones, which have killed guys before. I've been doing it all my career, even when I was 'suspended' -- why stop now?"

OK, I might have added the last lines. But this defense scares me, match-up wise (i.e. they have the speed/talent at LB to hang with our athletic TE's, forcing Brady to utilize the CFL-level WRs more). Note: The Pats players did not forget that Merriman came on at halftime of the Jets game and predicted that the Jets would win. This team thrives on even the tiniest perceived slight, so don't be surprised if this comes up again prior to gametime.

That said, I do like the fact that the Pats are the underdog (something, again, on which they thrive, whether it's fabricated/self-created/annoying/ridiculous or not). No one's giving them a hugely realistic shot at knocking off the MVP and SD on the road, so they can play loose while SD has the #1 seed pressure. A small point, maybe, but teams often tend to play a little tighter when they're expected to win at home. Look at Indy last week against a truly mediocre, one-dimensional Chiefs team. And until Marty proves he can win a playoff game, I'm just not buying him. Clearly a great coach whom the players respect, but his track record leaves something to be desired. Gonna be a great one, but I see a 27-23 Pats win.

Finally, on the horrific spelling alone, I think ATBB is clearly UT's long lost second cousin...or he at least interned for him and learned all the tricks of the UT trade.

Who was SD toughest opponent they play this year? Its Baltimore and they lost. I think Baltimore is the best team in the NFL. I predict a Balt and NE Championship game. NE's DE line will slow down LT and Rivers will be scared to see what Bellichick does. Plus Marty Ball doesn't win playoff games and well all know what the Pats do in the post season.

*If* Baltimore is the "best team in the NFL" then consider that SD went into their house and lead that game for all but 34 seconds, winning by three points. Hardly a convincing victory. That was game three for a "rookie stater" at QB. Has Rivers improved from that point? Yes. That alone and the fact that Baltimore will travel cross-counrty and play in SD should be enough to reverse that three [3] lose. Last season SD stomped NE @ in their house 41-17 and broke their 21 game home winning streak. LT rushed for 134 yards. As your moniker suggest you're perspective is clouded by your man-love for the coach.

I'm really looking forward to this game. Just a lot of great story lines and great players and coaches. The Chargers have the playmakers, all-around talent, team comraderie and cohesivness, coaching, momentum, and home crowd to pull off a big win over the Patriots, but there is no doubt that the Patriots are a formidable foe.

Here are some other interesting things to point out that may get overlooked:

1) Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips are two of the top coordinators in the league. The media and a lot of people are making a big deal about Schottenheimer's lack of success in the playoffs, but I really believe that he's turned over a lot of controls to Cameron to call the offensive plays and Phillips to design the defensive schemes. He's got a ton of confidence in his coordinators, and rightfully so, and I believe that Cameron and Phillips will really put together great offensive and defensive schemes and game plans this coming Sun.. Cameron is an aggresive playcaller and I do not believe he will go into a shell. Phillips has a great front 7 with guys who can really rush the passer and stop the run and he knows how to use them. Yes, Bellichik is a tremendous big-game playoff coach and he'll dig into his bag of tricks against the Chargers, but I believe the Chargers can offset his schemes with schemes of their own.

2) Reche Caldwell is a former Charger and the top WR on the Patriots. Some Charger fans may joke that he was a 3rd or 4th stringer here, but he did show some promise and I thought he had some skills. He's definitely excelled in the Patriots offense and Brady has gained confidence in him. The overlooked point is that he knows the Chargers offense and playbook better than anyone else on the Patriots. I'm sure Bellichik has tapped into Reche's knowledge of the Chargers and will try to use some of that knowledge in devising defensive schemes.

3) I believe the Patriots team has a chip on their shoulder over the 41-17 beating they took last year from the Chargers in front of their home crowd to snap their 20+ consecutive home game win streak. There's something dangerous about a team of Patriots caliber having extra motivation and something to prove. Furthermore, Tom Brady took exception to Schottenheimer's comments after the game about the Patriots having a lot of injuries and those things being tough to overcome. They seemed like innocent comments, but Brady took it the wrong way and barked out something to the affect of "Marty should talk about his own team... Don't talk about the Patriots... (blah blah blah)..." At the time, my reaction that Brady is a poor sport and got bent out of shape over nothing. In retrospect, it's just Brady's competitive nature. Like any great player, he hates to lose and he takes things hard. Brady probably thinks he has a score to settle in the back of his mind and he'll come out firing. The Chargers have to be ready.

4) The Patriots do not have Vinatieri (Mr. Automatic in the Clutch) to rely on if the game comes down to the FG. Gostowski has been pretty solid, but will he be able to handle the pressure if the game's on the line? The fact that he had 2 FGs last week probably helps his confidence. On the flip side, Kaeding has been rock solid for the Chargers this year, but he no doubt has to overcome the demons of his missed FG against the Jets in the playoffs two years ago. Bottom line, it could be a wash from the standpoint that there could be question marks about both kickers, but this game could very well come down to a game winning FG in the waning seconds of the ballgame.

Overall, yes, the Patriots have a lot of playoff experience and the Chargers are short on that, but the Chargers have exceptional talent and I really believe that they'll find a way to get the job done. The homer in me wants the Chargers to win this game in any way, shape, or form. Go Chargers!!!

The only way the Chargers lose is if they make a ton of mistakes. Even if the Chargers lose the turnover battle, I still think they win. The secondary for SD is probably the best NE has seen all year, and the pass rush is absolutely fantastic!

My only concern with this game is SD having a week off. That, to me is the only thing that can hold back SD. Timing could be off, false starts, etc.

SD has the horses to cover both TE no problem. Gates is better than any TE New England has, and Rivers will throw to the open receiver, not necessarily the primary receiver. I don't see how NE matches up well against SD's offense. LT can kill you in the run and pass, Jackson has become a very good receiver, and Gates can just go up and get it over anyone.

I like SD in this game a lot!

An important factor will be the health of SD's WRs. With McCardell being hurt for the last several weeks its effected Rivers I've found. Teams have brought the house against Rivers and not having McCardell and Parker both available has hurt him.

It looks like the entire team is ready to go except maybe Cesaire. The extra week could be very beneficial in that regard.

The only way the Chargers lose is if they make a ton of mistakes. Even if the Chargers lose the turnover battle, I still think they win. The secondary for SD is probably the best NE has seen all year, and the pass rush is absolutely fantastic!

My only concern with this game is SD having a week off. That, to me is the only thing that can hold back SD. Timing could be off, false starts, etc.

SD has the horses to cover both TE no problem. Gates is better than any TE New England has, and Rivers will throw to the open receiver, not necessarily the primary receiver. I don't see how NE matches up well against SD's offense. LT can kill you in the run and pass, Jackson has become a very good receiver, and Gates can just go up and get it over anyone.

I like SD in this game a lot!

you are absolutely right denver bronco fan!...san diego...best secondary pats have faced...pats have no shot

Something tells me that the Chargers will be one and done in the playoffs. Last year they had a similar team and barely missed out on the postseason. Here's to Marty making just enough progress to get in the playoffs but not advancing. :D

Something tells me that the Chargers will be one and done in the playoffs. Last year they had a similar team and barely missed out on the postseason. Here's to Marty making just enough progress to get in the playoffs but not advancing. :D

Wishful thinking. You just want a home game against a lesser team! :D

Any concerns about Jamal's 3.6 yard avg? Running and defense win championships. I just don't know if 3.6 a pop is good enough.

you are absolutely right denver bronco fan!...san diego...best secondary pats have faced...pats have no shot

Exactly! I know NE fans think Beledick is the most amazing human on the planet, and that Brady is the second coming, but both will be sent packing this weekend! :D