[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PATRIOTS - Chargers Game Thread

:D

Well, there's an unbiased opinion. SD has really one weakness in their game this year - their secondary. NE doesn't have enough physical talent at the WR position to exploit that weakness, and Brady gets flustered when he gets smacked in the mouth waiting for the WRs to finish their routes - and SD's front 7 definitely will smack him in the mouth early & often. NE get beaten badly for the second year in a row in the conference semi-finals.

I think SD wins this by double digits.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Well, there's an unbiased opinion. SD has really one weakness in their game this year - their secondary. NE doesn't have enough physical talent at the WR position to exploit that weakness, and Brady gets flustered when he gets smacked in the mouth waiting for the WRs to finish their routes - and SD's front 7 definitely will smack him in the mouth early & often. NE get beaten badly for the second year in a row in the conference semi-finals.

I think SD wins this by double digits.

Minnesota had a weakness in their D this year ... their secondary. Brady picked it apart on route to a Monday night win. NE only ran 13 times in that game, because all they had to do was throw. I think that gameplan might be a little less effective since SD's offensive is obviously significantly more potent than MIN's ... but the fact remains that Brady can do damage to a lesser secondary.

I for one am hoping that SD survives though, as it would greatly enhance my playoff pool chances.

Minnesota had a weakness in their D this year ... their secondary. Brady picked it apart on route to a Monday night win. NE only ran 13 times in that game, because all they had to do was throw. I think that gameplan might be a little less effective since SD's offensive is obviously significantly more potent than MIN's ... but the fact remains that Brady can do damage to a lesser secondary.

I for one am hoping that SD survives though, as it would greatly enhance my playoff pool chances.

The thing that hurts the Vikings is that they have no pass rush. That won't be the case against the Chargers this weekend.

Minnesota had a weakness in their D this year ... their secondary. Brady picked it apart on route to a Monday night win. NE only ran 13 times in that game, because all they had to do was throw.

Wow. Well, that's not much of a stretch.

When I said SD's weakness was its pass D, that didn't mean that it is off-the-charts terrible like MIN's. It's amazing that you even made that comparison and expect the NFL's 13th ranked pass D to simply buckle in the manner that the NFL's 32nd ranked pass D did. In fact, while SD's pass D is 13th in passing yds allowed, 12th in passing TDs allowed, and 18th in INTs, and it is also #1 in the NFL in sacks. That's hardly a pass D that just rolled over like MIN's did.

In fact, you can make a good argument that SD's overall pass D is every bit as good as NE's pass D.

Well, Len Pasquerelli had some incredible information on how the Chargers can best defeat the Pats. Ready? Get out your pens now, because this is serious expert material...

1. Prepare.

2. Get the ball early and often to LT and Gates.

3. Pressure Brady.

Thanks, Len. Some good insight right there. I'm surprised he didn't add..

4. Score more points than the Patriots.

5. Give up fewer points than the Patriots.

Wow. Well, that's not much of a stretch.

When I said SD's weakness was its pass D, that didn't mean that it is off-the-charts terrible like MIN's. It's amazing that you even made that comparison and expect the NFL's 13th ranked pass D to simply buckle in the manner that the NFL's 32nd ranked pass D did. In fact, while SD's pass D is 13th in passing yds allowed, 12th in passing TDs allowed, and 18th in INTs, and it is also #1 in the NFL in sacks. That's hardly a pass D that just rolled over like MIN's did.

In fact, you can make a good argument that SD's overall pass D is every bit as good as NE's pass D.

so you are now sayin it isn't a weakness? or is it a weakness only because it isn't as strong as the strength :bash:

my point was that brady has proven he can shoulder the load in the past, so don't expect him to roll over either ...

i did not say that SD's D was anywhere close to MIN's, i simply said that brady can be effective throwing the ball when needed. he is certainly among the most accurate passers in the league.

why am i defending the QB i want to lose? :D

Well, Len Pasquerelli had some incredible information on how the Chargers can best defeat the Pats. Ready? Get out your pens now, because this is serious expert material...

1. Prepare.

3. Pressure Brady.

Capt. Obvious strikes again.....did he get pointers for Joey T??? :D

1. Prepare.

3. Pressure Brady.

I think he stole Madden's notes.

1. Prepare.

3. Pressure Brady.

Len leaves that part to Grits...

Plain and simple, the Chargers win.It's their destiny this year. Besides, Belichick sealed the Pats fate when he barely wanted to acknowledge Mangini's existence :clap: when the Jets beat the Pats and then when the Pats won the playoff game almost barreling over a photographer to get to Mangini so he could give him a hug :D and hint at what a great coach he thinks he is :bash::tup::doh::(;):lol::huh: .His actions toward Mangini after both games makes me think he's a dual personality :bash: Don't get me wrong I'm not wanting to piss any Pats fan off,just pokin' some fun,so lighten up. Your Patriots are still gonna lose not because of Belichick but because the Chargers are a better team :D

I don’t know why and I can’t shake it. I am just not comfortable about the game this weekend.

Given that. The questions about the pass D are kind of funny to me. The Chargers have faced more passes than just about every other team this year, partly because they don’t give up yardage on the grounds and they have been ahead late in game when teams have no choice but to throw. When all your opponent does is throw, it will hurt your passing D statistically. The advantage is that you turn your opponent into a one dimensional offense. The DBs are better than average and the Bolts have the best pass rush in the NFL this year. Brady will definitely have a lower comfort level than usual. The Chargers are healthy, Castillo will play for the first time in weeks and that alone will make a HUGE difference. The biggest weakness in attacking this team is with the TE, and few use their TEs better than Brady.

Brady, of all QBs can run and win with a one dimensional offense (passing). The Pats will not be able to run and Brady does not react well to people in his face. If he has to wait too long for his WRs to find their spots, his accuracy falls sharply when the pressure is applied. The Bolts WILL apply that pressure. Brady’s ability to find his TEs in this game will be a key factor.

The key to this game for me is how the Pats handle LT (duh! :D ). Even then, Turner comes in with a different style to soften things up. The Rivers factor is only a concern if the running game is stuffed. Then he must make the plays he has made all year to loosen up the D. Hey, the kid IS going to the pro bowl for God’s sake.

Given the opportunity to do so, I am able to feel better about the game when I break it down like this. Unfortunately, when I stop and think just about the game being on Sunday and looking forward to seeing it, here comes that uncomfortable feeling again.

It is the Pats that I thought can cause the Chargers the most problems and it is the Pats that they have to play.

I guess it comes down to Marty v. Belichik. IF Marty keeps Martyball in the closet, the Chargers should win this game, if he allows his coaches to coach (Cameron and Phillips) and stay out of their way. That my friends is a BIG if.

The key to this game for me is how the Pats handle LT (duh! :D ). Even then, Turner comes in with a different style to soften things up. The Rivers factor is only a concern if the running game is stuffed. Then he must make the plays he has made all year to loosen up the D. Hey, the kid IS going to the pro bowl for God’s sake.

For me, this is the main question. I know the Pats will try to contain LT and make him keep cutting towards the inside (IE. keep him from busting one down the sideline), but I am not sure the players on that defense are quick enough to make that happen.

I am psyched for the game, though! :D

Plain and simple, the Chargers win.It's their destiny this year. Besides, Belichick sealed the Pats fate when he barely wanted to acknowledge Mangini's existence :clap: when the Jets beat the Pats and then when the Pats won the playoff game almost barreling over a photographer to get to Mangini so he could give him a hug :D and hint at what a great coach he thinks he is :bash::tup::huh:;):bash::(:lol: .His actions toward Mangini after both games makes me think he's a dual personality :fool: Don't get me wrong I'm not wanting to piss any Pats fan off,just pokin' some fun,so lighten up. Your Patriots are still gonna lose not because of Belichick but because the Chargers are a better team :D

Christ, Doc, get back on your meds. That post was all over the map. :doh:

For me, this is the main question. I know the Pats will try to contain LT and make him keep cutting towards the inside (IE. keep him from busting one down the sideline), but I am not sure the players on that defense are quick enough to make that happen.

I am psyched for the game, though! :D

Considering it's LT, I also think this is a factor which has been under-analyzed -- MVP LT versus the Pats defensive front. We've all -- media, message boards, etc. -- spent so much time on how the Chargers secondary is subpar, or the Pats LBs can't keep up with Gates, and BB vs. Marty, and Brady vs, Rivers, but I've seen relatively little on LT facing one of, if not the, toughest front lines in the NFL: Seymour, Warren and Wilfork. LT is the undisputed A-#1 RB stud in football, and this will be the proverbial "irresistible force-meets-immovable object". Seems obvious, but I think this is the base of the whole house of cards. He might find it tougher than usual up the middle, but if gets outside, well....me very afraid. :D

1. Prepare.

3. Pressure Brady.

Len leaves that part to Grits...

Len Blitzerelli.

Edited by darin3

Considering it's LT, I also think this is a factor which has been under-analyzed -- MVP LT versus the Pats defensive front. We've all -- media, message boards, etc. -- spent so much time on how the Chargers secondary is subpar, or the Pats LBs can't keep up with Gates, and BB vs. Marty, and Brady vs, Rivers, but I've seen relatively little on LT facing one of, if not the, toughest front lines in the NFL: Seymour, Warren and Wilfork. LT is the undisputed A-#1 RB stud in football, and this will be the proverbial "irresistible force-meets-immovable object". Seems obvious, but I think this is the base of the whole house of cards. He might find it tougher than usual up the middle, but if gets outside, well....me very afraid. :D

i agree...i mean the scary thing about LT is...we could control gaps...shed blocks...and he can still cutback and get outside...and go off....and of course, tackling and wrapping up, is an issue...but mainly people need to stay in their lanes and not get washed out, creating a cutback lane

im thinking the pats could show some big 4-3 looks on running downs..with vince and big sey in the middle

im hoping they give LT the marshall faulk treatment...he needs to be popped when hes releasing for a route...he needs to be hit and knocked around even when a play isnt near him

former pats linebackers coach rob ryan, and his raider d, were able to do a pretty good job with LT and the chargers in san diego a little while back