[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hanging Chad

Vet

The debate has already started here in the New York area: Keep Chad, or Hang Him.

First - I love Chad Pennington (in a non-momo kind of way). I've been watching professional football for over 30 years. I've seen only a few players that combine Pennington's smarts, toughness, leadership ability and character. He is one of my favorite players of all time. But, he is clearly limited physically.

Second - The Jets had a very limited running game and a decent, but not great, defense.

I don't think Pennington cost the Jets any games this year, and I think he almost singlehandedly won 2 or 3 games. With a decent running game and/or a dominant defense, I think Chad can get the job done, meaning win a Superbowl some day. But I admit my opinion may be biased on this one.

I'd be interested in some non-partisan opinons. But, since I obviously won't get those here, I'll take your opinions too.

The debate has already started here in the New York area: Keep Chad, or Hang Him.

First - I love Chad Pennington (in a non-momo kind of way). I've been watching professional football for over 30 years. I've seen only a few players that combine Pennington's smarts, toughness, leadership ability and character. He is one of my favorite players of all time. But, he is clearly limited physically.

Second - The Jets had a very limited running game and a decent, but not great, defense.

I don't think Pennington cost the Jets any games this year, and I think he almost singlehandedly won 2 or 3 games. With a decent running game and/or a dominant defense, I think Chad can get the job done, meaning win a Superbowl some day. But I admit my opinion may be biased on this one.

I'd be interested in some non-partisan opinons. But, since I obviously won't get those here, I'll take your opinions too.

If Trent Dilfer can win a SB then why cant Pennington :D

the guy deserves a ton of credit, pretty amazing story for him this yr, imo

As a Pats fan, have to admit that I have a lot of respect for Pennington, and that he is one of only a few opposing QBs that scares me every time he takes the field against my team. I think it would be an enormous mistake for the Jets to get rid of him. Let the guy strengthen his shoulder for another offseason, and he will be better next year.

His health is the only thing that would make me get rid of him. I think he's a player that has 'it' So he threw a few garbage time picks yesterday. Chad certainly didn't lose that game for them. The Pats (at this point) are just a better team. And the Jets will be scary next season.

It's all relative. Outside of say the top 4 at each position, there's alwasy someone better or worse.

If Carson Palmer became a free agent, then the Jets should dump Chad and get him.

However, compared ot the lackluster QB's out there, Chad's a lot better. His armstrength weakness (and it is a problem) is offset by his savvy enough to make him an above average NFL QB. I don't think the Jets should be drafting QB (and really, I like Clemmens so at this point, they should just give Clemmens another year learning, and see how things look end of next year).

I'd be interested in some non-partisan opinons.

That may be me. Not a Jets fan... nor a Jets hater. Not a Pennington fan.... nor a Pennington hater.

Except for the main problem which everyone continuously points out, and rightfully so, think it would be a mistake for the Jets to hitch their wagon to some other QB at this point in time. Guy seems to get the job done despite no running game to speak of and no top 10 arm. Personally... think he is a Jets keeper.

Pennington has no arm, and no mobility, and he's injury prone. However, he has what most physically gifted QB's lack, a large brain. You can't teach that. The Jets will not be better off next season with a new QB imo.

+1

Despite the noodle arm and glass jaw, Pennington is one of the smartest QBs in the league and his passes are accurate. He's a good fit for Mangini's defense-oriented system. IIRC, the cap hit would also be significant if they traded or released him.

+1

...IIRC, the cap hit would also be significant if they traded or released him.

I believe it would be about $9 million if they cut him before June 1, 2007, or $4.5 million per year for 2 years if they cut him after June 1, 2007.

I believe it would be about $9 million if they cut him before June 1, 2007, or $4.5 million per year for 2 years if they cut him after June 1, 2007.

Ah, that's a lot less than I thought. So it looks like cutting him in the summer would be a possibility.

I'd still keep him. I'll take a smart QB with a noodle arm over somebody like Vick or Harrington any day.

i like him. i don't think the jets' problem area is qb...... seemed like washington had the most success at rb and had some very nice flashes.... coles and cotchery together for another year... i think the offense should improve... decent young core.

protection and D!