[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tony Romo

MikesVikes

You know, I hate the Cowboys...but I really don't think Tony Romo will forever be remembered for this. I mean REALLY, Dallas was NOT going to go any further than the second round. If they would have won, they wouldn't beat the Saints or Chicago. Secondly, it wasn't guaranteed a win after that. It was still a minute left in the game, enough time for Seattle to drive for a FG.

Romo's career won't be defined from a WILD CARD game. Maybe if it was the NFC Championship, not a Wild Card game. I'm glad it happened to them, but if Romo continues his career, and becomes great, this won't matter.

Edited by CD6405

Tony Romo will forever be remembered for this weekend and his mis-handling of the ball on the final FG attempt. If he plays another dozen years and goes on to have a great career it won't matter.

:D

No way. Romo should bounce back and has the potential to becoming a very solid QB. His mistake is nothing other than a mistake that one can only move on from and learn from.

Hasselbeck isn't solely regarded as the doofus QB who claimed, "we got the ball and we're gonna score!" ..yet threw an interception to lose a playoff game in overtime minutes after this claim. So why would people hang up Romo's career because of one botched FG? :D

Oh I see what your problem is... you left time out of the equation and forgot that everyone moves on to other more important things. People will remember this mistake, but they'll brush it off if Romo can turn things around as his career progresses.

Tony Romo will forever be remembered for this weekend and his mis-handling of the ball on the final FG attempt. If he plays another dozen years and goes on to have a great career it won't matter.

For which of his many dropped passes that would have changed the outcome of various games will TO be remembered?

Romo will be a solid NFL QB in another year or two. What do you expect from a guy who didn't have a single NFL start until the middle of this season?

Starting the games have nothing to do with the crappy comparsion made. If he wasn't the starter of the game he STILL would be handling the kick holding duties.

Romo's career won't be defined from a WILD CARD game.

Exactly, not even a close comparison. If Buckner fields that ball cleanly, the World Series would have been over and the Red Sox would have won it. And it had been 68 years since the Sox had won a championship. This was a wild card game and the Cowboys don't have nearly the history of misery as did the Red Sox in 1986...after all, it has only been 10 years since Dallas' last title.

great post. :D

No, it's a f*cking STUPID post.

It's WAY too early to even write an intro for the career of Tony Romo, much less close the book.

At worst, it'll be something mentioned as a bad early-career moment he bounced back from - unless he doesn't bounce back, in which case he won't be remembered at all.

the Cowboys don't have nearly the history of misery as did the Red Sox in 1986...after all, it has only been 10 years since Dallas' last title.

:D ...but they have had to play in Dallas for over 40 years now.

It's WAY too early to even write an intro for the career of Tony Romo, much less close the book.

At worst, it'll be something mentioned as a bad early-career moment he bounced back from - unless he doesn't bounce back, in which case he won't be remembered at all.

I was being sarcastic.

I agree with what you said, except the part of him not bouncing back. This will only make him better.... :D

Give the guy a break. It will be a long off season for him but he has a potentially long career ahead. The media keeps harpening on dumb things. Don't help them.

NOD!

NOD +1!

No way this defines his future. Testaverde did real bad in all categoies in his first five years, and I read some team picked him up this year. :D:D

I posted "Is Romo for real" when he was doing well. I'm not convinced he's the second coming, but the guy needs a break. 1 Play does not make a game. I'm sure there were many instances in that game that could have turned the tide.

BTW....."That was by far THE BEST GAME THIS WEEKEND"! :bash:

I don't even see how this defines him as a QB, I think it defines him as a guy who was previously a backup who had kicking duties and had a mess up.

A kick hold by him does not change his QB performance.

Edited by CD6405

This kid will be sick for a while over that play but he learned a very valuable lesson that every NFL player must learn in his career. In the NFL you must focus 100% of the time and the difference between winning and losing in this league can be a millisecond laps in concentration. I gaurantee he will be a better NFL player as a result of that play alone. Details will be much more important to him. Aside from his blunder the kid played a pick free game and gave his team a 99.999999% chance of winning on the road in his first playoff game. Not to bad for an undrafted rookie. He just grew another hair on his chest that's all.

I agree though, had it been the NFC Championship or the Superbowl it may have been a heart stake, but a wildcard game I doubt it.

I believe Glenn's play was more damaging. Sad part is, Romo changed the play from a running play when he saw single coverage on Glenn.

Romo will be our quarterback for a long time and that is just the sort of play that can make a guy more determined to play well and repay his team next year by winning in the playoffs.

If you look at all the great throws and plays he made to get us in positions to win games they far outweigh the bad ones, which is more then I can say for the last say 10 quarterbacks that have started for Dallas.

Edited by Cowboyz1

I'd like to point out that this wasn't my original thought. I wanted to see what you guys think about this column from the Star Tribune today.

The spin: An uncomfortable place in sports history

By Michael Rand, Star Tribune

Last update: January 07, 2007 – 8:06 PM

Is it possible to clean tiny bits of human being out of FieldTurf?

The tears, the sweat, the ego, the playoff-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory trickling down his uniform? Dallas quarterback/holder Tony Romo left them all Saturday night, literally or figuratively, at Seattle's Qwest Field.

He dropped the snap, and fair or not, people are always going to remember that. They'll remember not just because of the implications but because of the seemingly mundane nature of the task that went so completely haywire -- just as they remember Bill Buckner and his grounder in the 1986 World Series, Nick Anderson and his free throws in the 1995 NBA Finals and Joe Pisarcik and his fumble while trying to run out the clock in the 1978 "Miracle at the Meadowlands."

I'll always remember where I was for the Buckner play: in my living room, watching on a tiny TV, as my dad, rooting hard for the Mets, hoisted me up and down in jubilant disbelief. And I'll always remember where I was when Romo botched the snap: at a bar in Uptown, which proved to be the perfect venue to glean knowledge from a broad spectrum of football fans.

As it became apparent that the Cowboys' first down would be overturned because of a bad spot, I turned to a gentleman next to me and remarked that it could be a big call because, instead of being able to run out most of the clock, the Cowboys would have to try a field goal with 1:19 left and risk giving the Seahawks a chance at a winning drive.

The man said, "Yeah, so maybe Dallas will try an onside kick." I thought maybe he hadn't seen the score correctly, so I tried to break it down and indicate that his intended strategy probably wasn't the best. He launched into another explanation, the complete details of which I didn't catch, but once again it ended with Dallas trying an onside kick. At which point, I had to say, "Sure."

Of course, it never came down to a kickoff. It never even came down to a kick. The snap was perfect. And the crazy part is, Romo seemed to catch the ball cleanly initially. It was routine, something he had practiced thousands of times, only this time it really mattered. The ball slipped, and the what-ifs began.

What if the Dallas first down hadn't been overturned? Maybe the Cowboys would have scored a touchdown. Maybe if they kick, it's from a different spot on the field, at a different point in time, with a different result.

What if kicker Martin Gramatica, instead of giving eventual tackler Jordan Babineaux a "hey, you're kidding me, right?" tap on the shoulder, had impeded his progress just a little more? Romo probably would have run for a first down (at the 1-yard line), if not a touchdown. Watch the replay. It's all over Youtube.

But those are tiny "what-ifs" compared with what Romo is experiencing. It's one thing to be shaky in your playoff debut (and he was plenty of that as well). It's another thing, as a player whose primary position requires you to be cold-blooded and have a short memory, to get over whiffing in such a huge moment.

A woman wanted to talk about the game an hour after it was over. "Can you believe how it ended?" she asked, as highlights flashed in the background. She said she hates the Seahawks (because of Mike Holmgren) and the Cowboys (on general principle), but after a split-second of jubilation when the ball tumbled out of Romo's hands, her overriding feeling was compassion.

"I just wanted to bake him some cookies or something," she said.

She saw the moment immediately for what it was: one that will be frozen in time, and one for which Romo -- again, fairly or not -- will always be remembered, even if he throws for 4,000 yards and holds every snap perfectly for the next 10 seasons. A year in which he flirted with Jessica Simpson and Carrie Underwood ended with him simply dropping the ball.

As a result, we wish Romo and the cleaning crew at Qwest Field plenty of luck. They're both going to need it.

I'd like to point out that this wasn't my original thought. I wanted to see what you guys think about this column from the Star Tribune today.

The spin: An uncomfortable place in sports history

By Michael Rand, Star Tribune

Last update: January 07, 2007 – 8:06 PM

Is it possible to clean tiny bits of human being out of FieldTurf?

The tears, the sweat, the ego, the playoff-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory trickling down his uniform? Dallas quarterback/holder Tony Romo left them all Saturday night, literally or figuratively, at Seattle's Qwest Field.

He dropped the snap, and fair or not, people are always going to remember that. They'll remember not just because of the implications but because of the seemingly mundane nature of the task that went so completely haywire -- just as they remember Bill Buckner and his grounder in the 1986 World Series, Nick Anderson and his free throws in the 1995 NBA Finals and Joe Pisarcik and his fumble while trying to run out the clock in the 1978 "Miracle at the Meadowlands."

I'll always remember where I was for the Buckner play: in my living room, watching on a tiny TV, as my dad, rooting hard for the Mets, hoisted me up and down in jubilant disbelief. And I'll always remember where I was when Romo botched the snap: at a bar in Uptown, which proved to be the perfect venue to glean knowledge from a broad spectrum of football fans.

As it became apparent that the Cowboys' first down would be overturned because of a bad spot, I turned to a gentleman next to me and remarked that it could be a big call because, instead of being able to run out most of the clock, the Cowboys would have to try a field goal with 1:19 left and risk giving the Seahawks a chance at a winning drive.

The man said, "Yeah, so maybe Dallas will try an onside kick." I thought maybe he hadn't seen the score correctly, so I tried to break it down and indicate that his intended strategy probably wasn't the best. He launched into another explanation, the complete details of which I didn't catch, but once again it ended with Dallas trying an onside kick. At which point, I had to say, "Sure."

Of course, it never came down to a kickoff. It never even came down to a kick. The snap was perfect. And the crazy part is, Romo seemed to catch the ball cleanly initially. It was routine, something he had practiced thousands of times, only this time it really mattered. The ball slipped, and the what-ifs began.

What if the Dallas first down hadn't been overturned? Maybe the Cowboys would have scored a touchdown. Maybe if they kick, it's from a different spot on the field, at a different point in time, with a different result.

What if kicker Martin Gramatica, instead of giving eventual tackler Jordan Babineaux a "hey, you're kidding me, right?" tap on the shoulder, had impeded his progress just a little more? Romo probably would have run for a first down (at the 1-yard line), if not a touchdown. Watch the replay. It's all over Youtube.

But those are tiny "what-ifs" compared with what Romo is experiencing. It's one thing to be shaky in your playoff debut (and he was plenty of that as well). It's another thing, as a player whose primary position requires you to be cold-blooded and have a short memory, to get over whiffing in such a huge moment.

A woman wanted to talk about the game an hour after it was over. "Can you believe how it ended?" she asked, as highlights flashed in the background. She said she hates the Seahawks (because of Mike Holmgren) and the Cowboys (on general principle), but after a split-second of jubilation when the ball tumbled out of Romo's hands, her overriding feeling was compassion.

"I just wanted to bake him some cookies or something," she said.

She saw the moment immediately for what it was: one that will be frozen in time, and one for which Romo -- again, fairly or not -- will always be remembered, even if he throws for 4,000 yards and holds every snap perfectly for the next 10 seasons. A year in which he flirted with Jessica Simpson and Carrie Underwood ended with him simply dropping the ball.

As a result, we wish Romo and the cleaning crew at Qwest Field plenty of luck. They're both going to need it.

That's caca de vaca. If the game were bigger maybe but I equate this game to Cincy fumbling the snap against Denver. If the Cowboys were favored and expected to go to the Superbowl maybe but most I suspect will forget about it ever happening only being mentioned in spots after his future success. Same as we forget who lost the superbowl the year before. The game has to be huge and expectations for success high for the play to become among the top blunders in playoff history. Fact is, the Cowboys are young and talented but too green to be Championship material this year. This game was lost long before it could have been won. Defensively we gave up plays that you have to make. We should have had 5 picks for sure which would surely of secured the game and render the botch null. There were countless mistakes made in that game, Romo's being the most vivid but others lead to the trouble. I place far more blame on the fact that we never once challenged their banged up secondary once all game long. Now that eats me up more then anything. How we could we let that banged up secondary off the hook like that is beyond me and that is playcalling. We begged for a crazy play to kill us.

Edited by Cowboyz1

That's caca de vaca. If the game were bigger maybe but I equate this game to Cincy fumbling the snap against Denver. If the Cowboys were favored and expected to go to the Superbowl maybe but most I suspect will forget about it every happening only being mentioned in spots after his future sucess. Same as we forget who lost the superbowl the year before.

Good point. Being a wildcard game, and not say; a Superbowl, I say this play is about as

remembered as the so called "music city miracle".

Also a wilcard game.

Keep in mind, there could be some plays this weekend

that completely overshadow Romo's.

Good point. Being a wildcard game, and not say; a Superbowl, I say this play is about as

remembered as the so called "music city miracle".

Also a wilcard game.

Keep in mind, there could be some plays this weekend

that completely overshadow Romo's.

True, very true. Also, lest we forget, Romo is just a kid in his first year as a starter. I expected him to do something boneheaded sooner or later. He just played so well for a bit that people thought he was a wiley ole vet.

In the cases of Buckner (who knows to bend his knees and get in front of the ball, you know bush league stuff), Byner (who knew to keep both arms around the ball new the goal line), Roger Craig (nuff said), Joe Pisarcik, Nick Anderson they had enough experience to avoid the blunder and that is why they made lore.

I equate this to Webber's time out in college. When on to have a solid career and nobody cared what he did as a kid. Just what he did as a vet, period.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Message to Romo, Keep you head up kid, you got a lot of football to play yet and we need ya. When you need to feel better just look over a couple of lockers at Bledsoe and remember what he did with 23 seconds in a TIE game at Quest field and he's suppose to know better. Don't feel so bad now huh.

Now rockup and get ready to roll next season. Your still my man.